GodReads discussion

Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kester (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Kester | 3 comments Mod
Just some recent and notable favorites that fit this category:

The Forgotten Ways
A Severe Mercy
Wise Blood
Love In The Ruins
They Like Jesus, But Not The Church
The Cost of Discipleship
Life Together
Orthodoxy
The Man Who Was Thursday
Mere Christianity

message 2: by Ted (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Ted Rohe (vangelicmonk) | 2 comments I agree with "The Man Who Was Thursday" I also recommend "The Ball and the Cross" by Chesterton.

"The Idiot" by Dostoevsky (and buy the Russian DVD movie series on TV it as well).

"The Baptism of the Holy Spirit" by R.A. Torrey

"A Grief Observed" by C.S. Lewis

"The Mosaic of Christian Belief" by Roger Olson

message 3: by Jeremy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Jeremy | 2 comments A really old gem - The Life of God in the Soul of Man, Henry Scougal.

message 4: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) "Death on a Friday Afternoon" by Richard John Neuhaus (great for reading during Lent)

message 5: by Patty (new)

Patty | 1 comments Hi. My name is Patty Pobanz and I'm the author of, "Everlasting Peace In Your Life. God's Reminders to the World." I truly believe that this book can benefit everyone who reads it. It has God's reminders as to why we're here, who he is and what he see's that we're forgetting about in life and how we can find more peace and happiness. I just wanted to share this with everyone, as it is truly inspiring, uplifting and very powerful. Thanks, Patty Pobanz

p.s. For more info on this book you can find me right here at Goodreads or please visit my web site at: www.pattypobanz.com

message 6: by Christopher (last edited Apr 14, 2008 10:15PM) (new)

Christopher (cmkeel) | 3 comments I haven't done the Introduction thing yet for this group. I actually just found this group and this thread and thought I would throw a few books on the table.

Lately, I have been reading books on Church history. Here are a few good ones that I've read lately:

The Story of Christianity by Justo L. Gonz'alez

Western Society and the Church in the Middle Ages by R. W. Southern

The Spirit of Protestantism by Robert McAfee Brown

The First Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul by Wayne A. Meeks

Here are a few other books that I heartedly recommend (other than church history):

The One Purpose of God: An answer to the doctrine of Eternal Punishment by Jan Bonda This book may be controversial for some, but Bonda provides a coherent and plausible alternative to the conventional idea/doctrine of eternal retribution. I heartily recommend it.

The Christian Agnostic by Leslie D. Weatherhead The title threw me off at first, but it is an excellent read.

The Soul's Code by James Hillman. This is not a Christian book per se, but it really helps put the idea of purpose in one's life into perspective. Many of the ideas and principles introduced by Hillman are very applicable to Christian living. This book has actually changed my life.

Skylar, I love Neuhaus. I've been a faithful reader of First Things for years. While I am a bit more liberal than most Neuhaus fans, I find the quality and level of scholarship that Neuhaus stands for to be refreshing.

message 7: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Rouxel (rouxel) | 1 comments Try reading "The Embarrassed Evangelist", not because it's wise and thought-provoking but because it's real and its funny.
Feels a bit strange reccommending it in the section that also describes "Western Society and the church in the Middle Ages" but hey, some days you eat five star lobster, some days you chow down on a really great hamburger.
Yes I know shamelsss self-promotion...i wrote it! Anyway....would love you to try it and let me know what you think.... eager for some wise reader reviews.

message 8: by Bernard (last edited Sep 28, 2009 07:06AM) (new)

Bernard Collard | 1 comments I am currently reading "The Heresy of Formlessness" by Martin Mosebach, subtitled "The Roman Liturgy and its enemies" If you have any love of liturgy then you must, simply must read this book. Even if you want to try to understand more about liturgy then this book will help you in a non-aggressive way. For anyone who loves the Latin Mass the book is also a must. Anyone who has read it please tell me your thoughts.

message 9: by Jay (new)

Jay Franklin (jayd808) | 2 comments Christopher wrote: Skylar, I love Neuhaus. I've been a faithful reader of First Things for years. While I am a bit more liberal than most Neuhaus fans, I find the quality and level of scholarship that Neuhaus stands for to be refreshing.
..."

Did you ever see this tribute to Neuhaus by Professor Robert George? Here are some reading selections from it:

http://payingattentiontothesky.com/20...

In Christ,

dj

Thanks Bernard for the Book Recommendation. I haven't found anything I could relate to on the topic of the liturgy. Hopefully the Mosebach will do the trick.

message 10: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Katzir | 3 comments Here's a shameless plug for my book, Broken Birds, The Story of My Momila. The Huffington Post loved it!

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Chambers (marycha) | 1 comments I just finished reading Holy Ouch! by Nathan B. Werner. It is an attempt to explain why God values the hard times that we go through. God is more concerned with our character than our happiness.

message 12: by Lydia (last edited Mar 27, 2017 01:08PM) (new)

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 6 comments Heaven by Randy Alcorn!