Books I Want To Talk About discussion

Rebecca
This topic is about Rebecca
Archives > Monte Carlo (Rebecca chapters 1-6)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah (songgirl7) | 284 comments Mod
Discussion of the first six chapters of Rebecca, in which the narrator and Maxim de Winter meet in Monte Carlo.

Alison I started this last night. I'm about 75 pages in...not sure which chapter. They have just arrived at Manderly, and Mrs. Danver's is acting like a nut case. (I love her! She's so evil). Lots of similarities here b/t Jane & (so far unnamed?) narrator. Similar in age, and similar age difference b/t Mr. Rochester & Mr. De Winter. Similarities between Thornfield and Manderly, although I think Manderly is being treated as it's own character...much more detailed description of sights and sounds. Jane & this narrator are both orphans, and working as hired help.

I was a bit surprised at the speedy romance b/t narrator and Mr. De Winter. I'm wondering what he sees in her...other than companionship and humility, and of course the "freshness" of her youth.

I LOVE the first chapter of this novel. It deserves to be read aloud. It's so beautiful and poetic...and sets the tone for such a dreamy, nightmarish atmosphere.

Just wait... you'll find out what Maxim sees in her. And lots more of Mrs Danvers to come!

Joey | 10 comments Uggghhh, Mrs Danvers gave me chills. Nasty, Nasty woman. Reminded me of the feelings Nurse Ratched gave me in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". I'm not surprised they based a Hitchcock movie on the book.

I was a little surprised about the speed of the romance too. Partly for me I think it was because I just couldn't put the book down. I had a few late nights with this book.

I didn't know how to read Maxim in Monte Carlo. He seemed a bundle of conflicting emotions and actions. I was a little worried for the narrator jumping into things so fast. But I guess that was likely the point...

message 5: by Alison (last edited Feb 20, 2008 02:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alison I've read this before...when I was in high school. I can remember the large plot twists...but most of the story was lost to me. I definetely didn't remember or appreciate the beautiful story-telling. It's quite a page-turner. I knew about half way into chapter 1 that this was a five star book for me.

Mrs. Danvers is like borderline morbidly in love with the dead Rebecca...the way she never laundered her nightgown...yuk!

How does the opening chapter, with the knowledge that Manderley has been destroyed, set the mood of the novel?

Alison Prophetic, nightmarish. The book begins and ends with a dream..."Last night I dreamt I went to Manderly again". And then at the end...I won't spoil it here. But she's dreaming right before the story ends. So much of the story is played out in the narrator's imagination...it lends to the dreamy atmosphere...detatched from reality, surreal.

Chrissie I have enjoyed other books my Daphne du Maurier, particularly the Glassblowers, which is sort of autobiographical so I thought I would give this a try too. Her writing is magnificent. She has a style all her own. I haven't met Mrs. Danvers yet.... For me, the first chapter sets the tone of the novel and forewarns the reader that this is a mystery.