Merlin, the wizard not the state discussion

Books on Merlins youth

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lillian (new)

Lillian (asmallanddelicateflower) | 6 comments Mod
Books on Merlins youth are so hard to find. Do you have any to recommend? I've read Jane Yolens series and would like to read more.

message 2: by Mark (last edited May 24, 2009 01:48PM) (new)

Mark Adderley (markadderley) | 6 comments Lillian wrote: "Books on Merlins youth are so hard to find. Do you have any to recommend? I've read Jane Yolens series and would like to read more."

There are the T. A. Barron books. I didn't particularly like the first one, and haven't read any of the others, but they get good reviews from folks I know.

message 3: by Lillian (new)

Mark wrote: "Lillian wrote: "Books on Merlins youth are so hard to find. Do you have any to recommend? I've read Jane Yolens series and would like to read more."

There are the T. A. Barron books. I didn't..."

are you referring to the seven songs of merlin?

message 4: by Mark (last edited May 27, 2009 08:28AM) (new)

Mark Adderley (markadderley) | 6 comments Lillian wrote: "Mark wrote: "Lillian wrote: "Books on Merlins youth are so hard to find. Do you have any to recommend? I've read Jane Yolens series and would like to read more."

There are the T. A. Barron books..."

Yes. It's a series though:
The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron The Seven Songs of Merlin (Lost Years of Merlin, Bk. 2) by T.A. Barron The Fires of Merlin (Lost Years of Merlin, Bk. 3.) by T.A. Barron The Mirror of Merlin (Lost Years of Merlin, Book 4) by T.A. Barron The Wings of Merlin (Lost Years of Merlin, Bk. 5.) by T.A. Barron

I don't want to toot my own horn or anything ... well, yes I do ... but my own book is about Merlin's youth too:
The Hawk and the Wolf by Mark Adderley
If you'd like to read a medieval version of Merlin's life, including the wonders he performed as a child, there's Robert de Boron's "Merlin," which was the middle part of a trilogy:
Merlin and the Grail Joseph of Arimathea, Merlin, Perceval The Trilogy of Arthurian Prose Romances attributed to Robert de Boron (Arthurian Studies) by Robert de Boron

message 5: by Lillian (new)

Thanks for the de Boron's tidbit. I have read at lest 3 of TA Barons books, they do get better... hell of a lot of characters though. I'm never too sure which/who/what i should remember for the next one!!

And go ahead and toot your horn. I see your book is available at Barns and Noble. Would that be both the store and online? Ir has some good reviews too. I'm eager to read it.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Adderley (markadderley) | 6 comments Lillian wrote: "Thanks for the de Boron's tidbit. I have read at lest 3 of TA Barons books, they do get better... hell of a lot of characters though. I'm never too sure which/who/what i should remember for the n..."

I've heard rumours that it was on the shelf of a Barnes and Noble bookstore in Wisconsin. But it's a debut novel from a small independent publisher, so most bookstores wouldn't order it without being asked. Probably the cheapest way to buy it would be from Amazon, though.

Robert de Boron is fun, and Nigel Bryant's translation is very easy to read. He wasn't a great writer--not in the league of Chrétien de Troyes or Chaucer or the Gawain-poet--but he had a good story to tell. Watch out, though--some bits raise your eyebrows a little bit. Robert de Boron is anti-semitic in places. They thought that was all right in the Middle Ages. A very different world!

message 7: by Lou (new)

Lou | 1 comments Just browsing Goodreads for the first time and joined this group just to put my 2 cents in on Merlin, I just finished a book called The Return of Merlin by Deepak Chopra,very interesting !!

Enjoy :-)

message 8: by Lillian (new)

Sorry I don't comment here, I wanted to be more active and still intend to, but you know.... life gets in the way ~LOL~