A Widow for One Year A Widow for One Year discussion

this book

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candice (new)

Candice Morgan i love this book,It make me look at life in a different way.

BumbleBrie Bourn I felt the same way too! I always loved John Irving, and even though I know it was very clitically aclaimed, I loved this book.

Adri Another one that I read again from time to time.

Tuklas Pahina (TP) I don't know why he writes as if it exists in his real life? or just his pure imagination? I love his book very inspirational and with moral lesson.

Joanne I have read a lot of John Irving, I don't care for his writing. I have been a widow for 15 years, this book did not speak to me.

فلاح رحيم Joanne wrote: "I have read a lot of John Irving, I don't care for his writing. I have been a widow for 15 years, this book did not speak to me."

Thank you. The admirers of Irving can't see how far from real human experience his books are.

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Faez wrote: "Joanne wrote: "I have read a lot of John Irving, I don't care for his writing. I have been a widow for 15 years, this book did not speak to me."

Thank you. The admirers of Irving can't see how far..."

I am one of those self-acclaimed admirers of John Irving and I believe there is an underlying truth to his themes and characters. I do not correlate any of his plot scenarios with real life (at least not mine or anyone I know). His characters and their situations and relationships in life are so exaggerated, so whimsical, so outrageous and described in such minute detail that every page oozes with hilarity. And THAT is what I love about John Irving.

It doesn't matter how far-fetched something may seem. His details and the seemingly meaningless trivial backstory to EVERYTHING is so perfectly and often comically done that I feel as if I've known that character my entire life and I feel as if I can start to believe anything written about him/her or whatever. It's fiction that I can be absorbed into and believe anything and everything for that moment in time.

فلاح رحيم I agree completely with your type of admiration of Irving. You are right in that we come to literature to dream and feel thrilled by the art. I think the disagreement is on the way Irving presents himself. I am ready to accept A Widow for One Year as an erotic novel (Sex is so predominant and casual, but to read it as a novel above genre, in the way D. H. Lawrence or Joseph Conrad wrote their novels,we start to feel how skin deep it is. There is insight about our life experience in a real novel which Irving sacrifices for one purpose: entertain no matter how.Think of me for example, I haven't been to the States and reading this novel I was shocked on the way sex is presented.I could accept this presentation in an erotic novel. I hope I made my point clear...

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna It has been many years since I read this book, but I still remember that I did not care for it. I believe it is because John Irving does not do his best in portraying women as three dimensional people. He has a distinctly male point of view and consistently shortchanges all his female characters. They are mostly hollow beings who speak and move around in his novels. Having said that, I have read quite a few of his books and have enjoyed them, especially A Prayer For Owen Meany, Cider House Rules, and Last Night in Twisted River.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I went through a phase when Irving was my absolute favorite writer on the planet, and I always rated this one up there with Garp and Owen Meany and Cider House as a top-tier Irving novel.

Dave1962uk Joanne wrote: "I have read a lot of John Irving, I don't care for his writing. I have been a widow for 15 years, this book did not speak to me."

I don't think he wrote it "to speak to you". It is a work of fiction. It would be quite tragic for some person to go through what is obviously a very disturbing year. However If you have read any other of Mr Irving's work you would realise he has a great imagination and a great knack for telling a "Fictitious" story.

Dave1962uk BTW. If you don't care for his writing why do you bother to read his books and post negative comments?

Joanne I don't read him anymore, and why on earth would you care if I make a negative comment ?

Penny John Irving is first and foremost a storyteller, his characters are usually so outrageous and colourful they really are not going to compare to anyones real life experiences. It's a pity you don't read him anymore Joanne as there are some rollicking good stories in his collection.

message 15: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy Beautiful poem from this book:

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I,being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

William Butler Yeats

message 16: by Lisa (last edited Jun 09, 2013 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I have read a lot of John Irving books and have even seen him for a book reading and discussion in NYC. I really enjoyed this book. I have also seen the movie. It is called "The Door in The Floor" Check it out sometime!

message 17: by Frick (new)

Frick Weber Sad to say that is one . . . of his . . . was kind of hard for me to get into.