Marian Keyes we love you!!! discussion

Anybody out there

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (wwwtiggeriffic81hotmailcom) | 6 comments Mod
This is Marian Keyes best book ever!!! I love all the books about the Walsh sisters but this one especially. I was totally addicted to it and when I finished reading it I felt like I had lost an arm or something I didn't know what to do with myself, I felt lost without it so I had to read it again!!

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) I know what you mean, I read this book in January. I hadn't read a Marian Keyes book for at least a year, and reading this made me wonder why! I love her writing and the fact that she can make me laugh out loud and cry in the space of a couple of pages!

message 3: by Norabee (new)

Norabee | 9 comments I just finished this book today and I miss it too! I started reading Keyes with Watermelon which caught me and I knew then that I'd found another favorite author and then I read Rachel's Holiday and it was touching story and then I read Angels, but I wasn't crazy for that one, but I LOVED Anybody Out There!! It was poignant and FUNNY and in this book you really got a better glimpse at Mammy Walsh and Helen and it was great to see what had become of Claire, Maggie and Rachel - I just hope she comes out with Helen's book soon, but her website said that Helen's story won't be the next book, but that she's going to write it eventually. I can't wait!! I miss the Walsh family!!

I hope that wasn't too Feathery Strokerish!

message 4: by Aod (new)

Aod | 2 comments I went to a reading a few years ago and she said that Helen's book will be a little different because Helen is such an outrageous character. It might be a mystery genre. In the book "Angels", she seemed to plant the seeds by having Helen start a private detective agency (or at least talk about it).

message 5: by Bev (last edited Sep 27, 2008 09:00AM) (new)

Bev | 4 comments Oh, I absolutely adore this book and think it is her masterpiece! I am an avid reader and count this book as one of my top ten all-time favorites. I stumbled upon Marian Keyes by randomly grabbing Anybody Out There from the library as a book on tape. It was so marvelous that I ran out to get all her other books and read them with relished time and care. (By the way, listening to these books on tape is an entirely delightful experience in and of itself. The narrator with the Irish lilt makes the stories come alive so beautifully. Treat yourself by both reading AND listening these books.)

I look forward to Helen's story...it will be very different, knowing what we know about her from the other Walsh books. It will probably be hilariously funny and poignant at the same time, like so many of Keyes' books.

message 6: by Zahra (new)

Zahra | 2 comments It was so different from the vision of Anna depicted by her sisters!

message 7: by Sheli (new)

Sheli (sheliruss) | 3 comments This was the first Marian book I read and it hooked me. I don't normally like books that make me cry but I couldn't put this one down. I'm so glad I bought it though and it introduced me to Marian's books!

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Mann | 6 comments I wouldn't say it's one of my favourites. Maybe because I looked at reviews and someone gave the story away so it didn't affect me as much as it would have if I didn't know what was going to happen. I still liked it though. I never make the mistake of looking at reviews before reading now.

message 9: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) Debbie wrote: "I wouldn't say it's one of my favourites. Maybe because I looked at reviews and someone gave the story away so it didn't affect me as much as it would have if I didn't know what was going to happen..."

Oh, what a shame you accidentally got spoilers on this book, because part of the interesting thing is finding out what actually happened. I really hope Marian Keyes publishes a new book soon.

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Mann | 6 comments I've heard that her next book will be out next year. I think it's going to be a Helen Walsh story so I can't wait for that though I tend to prefer the books that aren't about the Walsh family with the exception of Rachel's Holiday which I loved.

message 11: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) Debbie wrote: "I've heard that her next book will be out next year. I think it's going to be a Helen Walsh story so I can't wait for that though I tend to prefer the books that aren't about the Walsh family with ..."

Sounds good, I've always thought Helen was the most entertaining, if quite mad:)

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Mann | 6 comments Yeah I've always liked Rachel and Helen. Like you say she's the most entertaining and completely mad.

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bestseller) | 1 comments I am curious about where you heard she'd have a new book out next year? Freon what I've heard she's been suffering from depression for the past several years.

message 14: by Sheli (new)

Sheli (sheliruss) | 3 comments I've read that she has a new book coming out in Feb called Saved by Cake. Its a non-fiction based on her depression and how baking has helped her and includes lots of cake recipes. The book about Helen Walsh is coming out in Sept and will be the last in the series about the Walsh sisters (boo!)

This is where I read it: http://www.chicklitclub.com/savedbyca...

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Mann | 6 comments I think I saw it on the chicklitreviews website. It's called Mercy Close. Apparently she is over her depression now and also talked about her new love for baking which she said helped her get over the depression.

message 16: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) I just re-read it and I just love the way she weaves together tragedy and humor. Helen's e-mails are the best part!

message 17: by Penny (new)

Penny | 2 comments This is the first Marian Keyes book I read, the one that got me hooked!! Sadly, it's the only one I don't own... must remedy that!!!!

message 18: by Libby (new)

Libby Mercer (goodreadscomlibby_mercer) | 2 comments I love all of Marian's books, but Anybody Out There definitely stands out in terms of utter amazingness. For me it shares the top spot with The Brightest Star in the Sky which also blew me away. She is such an incredible writer.

message 19: by Melody (new)

Melody (melody44) | 3 comments I can't wait for the next book by Marian.....was so sad to read about her depression awhile back. I've held back three of her books because I don't want the series about the Walsh family to end, but I think I'm going to treat myself to them this summer. I have Saved by Cake also, right here by my bed, and will dive into that one next. Marian is one of my top two authors, probably my absolute top if truth be told. I love the idea of listening to them on audio....I think I will have to invest in them and just reread them all. I wish she would write faster! I miss her! So happy to hear her next one is due out in September!

message 20: by Libby (new)

Libby Mercer (goodreadscomlibby_mercer) | 2 comments Melody, I absolutely know what you mean about wanting to hold off on reading because you don't want the stories to come to an end, but I say go for it. Rereading them is always fun, especially if you space out your readings by a few years. I reread Anybody Out There just a few months ago (it was in storage for 4 years while I was living abroad) and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. Can't wait for September!

message 21: by Melody (new)

Melody (melody44) | 3 comments Thanks, and you're right...especially with my memory these days, I'm just going to read and reread when I decide to. I can't get any of them on audio, but my library has them so I'm going to get them there. I have all of them there on hold already! It will be a Marian- filled weekend!

message 22: by Jastelle (new)

Jastelle Lapan I've just finished reading this wonderful book. I wonder if we get to see Anna's new lover in the upcoming Walsh sisters book?

message 23: by Ally (new)

Ally (allybeth) | 1 comments This was the most gripping of all her books so far I think, I loved it and cried in some parts! I was genuinely sad when I finished it, I just didn't want the story to end :)