The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Voting > February's selections are...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
For our classic, romance month, the selections are:

Jane Eyre & The Eyre Affair

*Your applause & cheering inserted here.*

The discussions for each will begin on the first of the month. You are free from that day on to begin any of the discussion threads you like about them, just be sure to mark if you are including any spoilers. Especially with these two books it is important.

I highly recommend that you read Jane Eyre first, as The Eyre Affair won't make as much sense (or be as darned funny) if you read it first.

Hope you enjoy these two as much as I do - they are two of my favorites!

P.S. Jasper Fforde is a genius. I'm outrageously jealous.

message 2: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Yay! I was pleasantly surprised to see this had already been calculated. Thanks, Michele. Are the words "Jane Eyre" forever embedded on your eyeballs?

I am going to try to read Wide Sargasso Sea as well as these two if anyone wants to join in. I'd like to read Rebecca as well. I started Jane Eyre the other night, and got about 1/3 of the way done. I couldn't stop reading! I had written the date in my book when I last read it, 1990! So, after eighteen years, it's like I'm reading it again for the first time. And it is BRILLIANT! I love it. Looking forward to the discussion and to the others. What great selections!

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Jan 30, 2008 08:33AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I am uber excited. These are two of my favorites too.

I second Michele's recommendation to read Jane Eyre first!

If you can't find a copy of Jane Eyre, you can read the text online at literature.org or http://pd.sparknotes.com/lit/janeeyre/ .

The Eyre Affair is the first book in a fabulous series. AFTER you read the book (to avoid spoilers), check out jasperfforde.com for some cool extra stuff. There is also a Jasper Fforde group here on Goodreads.com. I really hope you will all love Thursday's world as much as I do and continue on to read the rest of the series.

message 4: by Bree (new)

Bree cool idea..i think i want to write the date i last read a book inside the cover...i'm gonna do that from now on.

And i'm off to buy the books...i'm doing the same as Alison and getting rebecca and Wide Sargasso Sea as well :P

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz | 35 comments Awesome!! I am going out today to get these two! I can't wait to get started reading:)

message 6: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 30, 2008 10:39AM) (new)

Whoo hoo! Jane Eyre and all-who-tried-to- borrow-from-her-month!

I'm also looking forward to some film adaptations for Jane Eyre & Rebecca!! It's going to be a busy month.

BTW, I am reading David Copperfield as well, and I saw that the BBC did a mini-series a few years ago with Daniel Radcliffe as a young David (future Harry Potter) if anyone's interested. I haven't done the HP books or movies, but I've heard they're a bit popular. :)

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Jan 30, 2008 11:31AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'll start some Rebecca and Wide Sargasso Sea threads over in the Books I Want to Talk About group in case anyone wants to discuss them. I just read Rebecca in December so I have lots to talk about! :)

**Note: I don't want to take anything away from the discussions here. The Eyre Affair is a really, really fun book and I recommend it highly. These threads are in case there are people who plan to read Rebecca or WSS in addition to The Eyre Affair.

Also, Rebecca is referenced several times throughout the Thursday Next series, too.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) Just got The Eyre Affair from the library this morning on my way to pick up my son from preschool. I started reading while I was waiting for him and I'm totally sucked in.

message 9: by Tiffany (last edited Jan 30, 2008 01:09PM) (new)

Tiffany Yay! So excited to read these two books. I may have to join you over at the Books I Want to Talk About group to discuss Rebecca; I just read it for the first time recently and I'd love to chat about it with you all. I'd love to see the movie, too! I'm not familiar with Wide Sargasso Sea, but now I'll just have to pick it up since it comes so highly recommended by the RGBC. =)

message 10: by Dottie (last edited Jan 30, 2008 01:11PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Okay -- broken record here -- is Rebecca on Rory's list? Is Wide Sargasso Sea on it? If so should those discussions not be on this group in separate threads rather than elsewhwere? I'm not against other books going to the Book I Want to Talk About group -- but if a book is on Rory's list it should be here, don't ya think? Clarification, please, if I'm misunderstanding something.

message 11: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 30, 2008 01:32PM) (new)

Dottie, I'm not sure, but I don't think WSS or Rebecca are on Rory's list. Actually, the only one of these on her list is Jane Eyre. But I'll double check.

Didn't see them.

message 12: by Sarah (last edited Jan 30, 2008 01:33PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Dottie, Rebecca and WSS are not on Rory's list. Neither is The Eyre Affair, for that matter. According to Michele, only one of the books we choose as a group needs to be on the list. The other book can be anything chosen as a companion. Since Jane Eyre is on Rory's list, The Eyre Affair did not need to be.

In this group we only officially discuss the books voted on monthly by the group. Unofficial discussion of other books had started here, but we didn't want it to take away from the official monthly discussions here. So Meghan created the BIWTTA group, where anyone (not just Rory club members) can discuss ANY book they want, not just ones on the Rory list or something. There's no official list and no voting. It's a literary free-for-all. Hee.

Since the group officially voted for Jane Eyre and The Eyre Affair, those will be the official discussions in this group. If anyone's reading anything else they are welcome to post about it in the BIWTTA group.

Hope that helps. :)

message 13: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Well said Sarah. Just to note, should Rebecca or WSS ever be voted as a RG book, discussion would be held here. But in the meanwhile, you can go discuss it over at BIWTTA. (Seriously, I need a better nickname.)

And thanks Michele for getting it out after your long weekend! Looking forward to reading it. Even caught a bit of the movie version of JE. Perhaps I should go rent it to help me through the book.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Jan 30, 2008 04:40PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Olive, have you read Jane Eyre? Just a warning The Eyre Affair will give away the ending to Jane Eyre.

message 15: by Dottie (last edited Jan 30, 2008 03:00PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Sarah, Meghan and Alison Thanks -- I guess I am thinking that the official Rory books are those on the list as of the end of the series -- and those books should be what we discuss here -- along with the books chosen as "companion" reading each month.

My concern was that we not take those books to the other group -- and Meghan -- as the other group was sort of sprouted here -- what about Rory's Annex as a name for it? Shorter and easy to see the connection/overlap between the two groups.

Sorry if I seemed to be harping on this -- just wish it were easier to scan the list to check which books are on the official list. I know it's being worked on though.

I am looking forward to Jane Eyre -- I even know where one of my own oldest copies is and can put it on the shelf by the chair -- and I will get The Eyre Affair from the library as well as The Wide Sargasso Sea since mine is packed away. This will be a really great month of booktalk with this group. As for Rebecca -- I may chime in from memory if nothing else -- as long as y'all don't throttle me for that! Hee-hee.

message 16: by Kailey (new)

Kailey Miller | 22 comments will The Eyre Affair make sense if you haven't read Thursday Next

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Jan 30, 2008 03:48PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Kailey, The Eyre Affair is the first book in the Thursday Next series. So it is the one you should start with. I read it before I read Jane Eyre and it was OK, except then I wanted to read Jane Eyre and already knew the ending. So I'd say, read JE first, then The Eyre Affair, then the rest of the books in the Thursday Next series. IMO. :)

message 18: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Well, I'm definitely not trying to take away from anyone's book club, especially this one. Books are only listed at BIWTTA by request. So if an RG book does appear, it's because it was asked for by a member (there are several non-RG members). Not because we wanted to bring a discussion from another group over there.

I tried to create a forum to talk about books that maybe your book club wasn't covering at the moment. But it's open to all of goodreads. It's not in any direct relationship with this group other than I belong to both. I apologize if I misrepresented that.

message 19: by Dottie (last edited Jan 30, 2008 04:45PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Oh, Meghan -- I wasn't intending to say you were trying to take away from this group; I'm so sorry if I gave you that idea. Please forgive me. I was just trying to have a straight take on how the two groups worked -- and I do see the memberships are not duplicates of course. Maybe I was just being selfish about wanting to be sure you (and others of this GG group) are here when we talk about an official Rory book, okay?

And I guess my idea for the name won't really click either so I'll try to give that some more thought. Do you want to rework the group name to make a shorter "nickname" or do you want to somehow shorten the nickname keeping the group name intact? BTW, what IS the word for that letters standing for a thing/group/entity anyway -- I can never recall -- acronym! that's it! -- It just came to me. Again -- I'm sorry if I offended you at all with my dithering over all this. I thnk I'm just a bit "dithery" lately -- please try to partially ignore me while I get back on track.

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 74 comments I ordered my books from the library as soon as I saw the selection. Thanks everyone for the recommendation on what to read first, etc. I'm really looking forward to reading these two books.

message 21: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Am I the only one that's a little fearful of reading Jane Eyre? I've just started Pillars of the Earth, and both of those books are so long! Ah, I'll figure out what to do. BTW, I do realize that I voted for it. But, that was before I looked at the size of the book in the bookstore!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The Eyre Affair is a very fun, light, fast paced read.

I'd like to recommend reading Jane Eyre at www.literature.org if you're concerned about the length. It's the full unabridged text but for me it seemed shorter because each chapter's on one page. Something about not having the weight of the book or the thickness of pages made it seem like it went faster. I read Jane Eyre using both literature.org and also my paperback copy, and I got through it in about a week and a half. The first few chapters before Jane leaves school moved slowest for me, but it really picked up afterward. There are parts of it where you will not be able to put it down (especially if you're not familiar with the ending).

message 23: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) I just went out and bought The Eyre Affair, and i'm getting my old copy of Jane Eyre that I read in high school over the weekend (and since I can't remember the ending, it'll be like reading it for the first time). I'm really looking forward to The Eyre Affair - I never heard of it (or that author) before, and the whole series seems really intriguing! I can't wait!

message 24: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Bailey | 5 comments Sarah- did you read it on the screen or did you print it out? Just curious! :)

message 25: by Sarah (last edited Jan 30, 2008 08:56PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I read it on my screen (ssshhh) while I was at work. Hee!

message 26: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Dottie - I think we're tripping over ourselves not to offend while none is taken. So it's all good. And I totally agree, I want everyone here to discuss the books too! I love our discussions!

Although, I meant to tell you, I do think that your nickname was cute (why didn't I think of that sooner?!). Makes me think of a window seat and cups of tea (along with a big pile of books). What's lovelier than that?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

The Wide Sargasso Sea is awesome...... highly recommended. (Of course I read it 25 years ago)

message 28: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

As to the length of Jane Eyre, I've gotten through half of it in two sittings. If I had the time, I would literally sit down and finish it. I'm really enjoying it, and it flows...it's not like reading something slow and boring. Maybe it just suits my taste, but I encourage everyone to at least give it a chance.

message 29: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I've been intimidated by Jane Eyre for a long time, and now that I've started it I have no idea why because like Alison said it flows and it's attention-grabbing. I'm glad I finally picked it up and gave it a chance.

message 30: by Sera (last edited Jan 31, 2008 09:16AM) (new)

Sera Ok, I bought all of the books today at B&N, and I will start reading Jane Eyre tonight. After my trip, however, I realized that there was good news and bad news.

Bad news first - I used to work near a 1/2 price bookstore so I could swing over during lunch and get most books at 50% off. I switched jobs last week, and now I'm about 5 min from a B&N. Not good - larger selection and higher prices.

Good news - After leaving the bookstore, I realized I don't give a darn about the money, because I am reading more classic literature through this book club than I did while in college, and I was an English minor! I don't thin that I would have gone out of my way to read Jane Eyre or Daisy Miller. It's more fun to read these books as part of a group, and so I thank you all for that. There are also books of which I never would have heard, such as Rebecca so I thank you all for that, too.

Bottom line is, I'm very happy.

message 31: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Thanks Alison and Tiffany. That gives me hope. Emily and I are not on good terms, but I'm trying to not be biased and give her sister a fighting chance.

Sera - I think you're so fun! The big, bad B&N will get you.

message 32: by Haley (new)

Haley | 8 comments I am unfamiliar with the Eyre Affair as well as the Thursday Next series. What is this series about?

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Haley, imagine 1985 Britain in an alternate universe. Home cloning is common, and the cloned pet of choice is the dodo. Time travel is a reality. Cheese is an illegal controlled substance. The Crimean war has gone on for over 100 years. Literature is taken very, very seriously. People attend stagings of Richard III like it's the Rocky Horror Show. Hundreds of citizens have changed their name to John Milton. And someone has kidnapped Jane Eyre from the original manuscript, erasing the narrative from every single copy. So Thursday Next, a literature detective (LiteraTec) and the heroine of the Eyre Affair and the whole series, must enter the novel itself and try to save Jane Eyre, the character as well as the novel.

message 34: by Haley (new)

Haley | 8 comments Wow, that sounds bizarre and completely entertaining. Now I'm really looking forward to these books. Thanks for the synopsis!

message 35: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) I've got a general question about the books after The Eyre Affair - does Thursday Next enter a different novel each time? It's going to be very interesting reading the actual novel before this book, and I just thought I would prepare myself (mentally, at the very least) to read the actual novels that relate to each book in the series if I enjoy this first book. I hope that makes sense.

message 36: by Sarah (last edited Jan 31, 2008 02:22PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Not really, Sara. (About Thursday jumping into a different novel in each book, not about you making sense.) There are dozens and dozens of books and poems referenced in the Thursday Next series. I don't want to give away any plots so it's hard to explain. The only other books I remember playing significant roles in the TN series (other than a mention or reference here and there) are Great Expectations and Kafka's The Trial. Maybe Michele or someone else who's read the series can help me explain. But really, it's like GG. There are so many references that you'll never "get" all of them, but they're fun anyway.

Basically, my advice is this: Read Jane Eyre and definitely read the entire Thursday series, and as you read the series write down any books they reference that sound interesting to you.

message 37: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Hey, isn't the trial on our list?

message 38: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments I'm really excited about reading both of these books (I've never read Jane Eyre-terrible!) I was telling my sister about it and she has both books (bought Jane Eyre after reading The Eyre Affair) so she sent them home with my husband when he went to pick up our son (she and my mom watch him for us) so now I'm ready to go! I'm working on trying to get her to join this group-she's shy.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Well, Joanie, tell her that the nice thing about an online group is that you don't have to be shy! It can be as anonymous as you want it to be.

message 40: by Meghan (new)

Meghan And we promise to be nice...no bird eating or great gatsby until at least the second month! heh

message 41: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments The Trial isn't on the list, but Great Expectations is. I haven't read GE but I've heard terrible things and I'm somewhat dreading the day it gets selected. Kafka, on the other hand, I could totally handle. His Metamorphosis is on the list, and it's been ages since I read it last.

My mother-in-law has a copy of Jane Eyre that I'm borrowing, and I received The Eyre Affair several years ago as a birthday present but never read it. It'll be good to read both.

Joanie - you can also tell your sister that she can lurk if she wants to, until she feels comfortable posting.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Heather, good idea on the lurking.

And I love Great Expectations! It's my second favorite Dickens. People were dreading A Christmas Carol too but they ended up loving it.

I wouldn't steer you wrong, hon. ;)

message 43: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments That's a good idea, that way she can check it out but not have any pressure (not that there would be any pressure anyway, but maybe that's her perception) Thanks!

message 44: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Oh dang. Thanks Heather. I knew Kafka was on it but I couldn't remember which one.

But just so you know, reading all these classics are going to help with some other books on our RG list too. Reading Lolita in Tehran is a good one. She is a big Austen fan and Daisy Miller is brought up as well. There are a couple other books that I can't remember. But I think it will help to have the background (although it's okay if you don't. I read it without reading most of the classics mentioned.)

Oh, and yes, I too am finding that JE is really easy to read through so far.

message 45: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments I am super excited about this months selections, even though they weren't the ones I had originally wished for. My P loves The Eyre Affair and has been encouraging me to read it for some time. I have read Jane Eyre a couple of times, loving all things British and 19th Century, but having recently embraced the audio book in the car concept, I already have a copy on reserve at the library. I will be interested to see how it changes for me, listening instead of reading. I have had great fun with Orlando and am ready to give it a shot.

But mostly I am excited for the fun of the Eyre Affair. My Papa just passed away 2 days ago and I am completely shell shocked. He was my grandfather, but also like my Father as I lived with him for awhile in high school and college and we were very very close. I am completely tempted to set up camp on the couch with a blanket, an endless supply of coffee, my cats and a pile of books and not get up for a good long while.

message 46: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) Courtney, so sorry for your loss.

I just wanted to let people know/remind them that there is a really interesting illustrated version of Jane Eyre available. It came out in 2005. I had totally forgotten until I was at the library and came across it.

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Jan...

message 47: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Oh, Courtney, I'm sorry to hear about your Papa. Set up camp for a few days if you need to. Althoug they won't take away your pain and longing to be with your Papa, cats can be very comforting, just by being there.

message 48: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (((Hugs))) Courtney. I'm so sorry for the loss of your Papa.

Olive, that's the version of Jane Eyre that I have. My mom just got it for me last week actually.

message 49: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Courtney - I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

message 50: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Sarah - the Thursday Next series sounds very intriguing. I'm ready to get started on reading Jane Eyre and Eyre Affair!

Heather - what do you think of Metamorphisis? This is really high on my to read list. It has a pull on me for some reason.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.