Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Any Issue - 2005 > The Year of Pleasures

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments The Year of Pleasures A Novel by Elizabeth Berg The Year of Pleasures A Novel by Elizabeth Berg
I just started my First Read copy and am about 40 pages into it. So far, so good.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I am also reading this book - actually, listening to it on audio. I never put it on my Bookmarks list, so now I will have to go read the review online! It's slow-going though Lisa - I have been listening to Podcasts more lately.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I'm finding this to be a slow paced novel, but appropriate for the subject of a widow going on with her life after the death of her husband. The writing is reflective and has touched a chord with me, since I'm in my late 40's and have friends who have already lost their spouse.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Elizabeth Berg's The Year of Pleasures takes a contemplative look at the grieving process. This book struck a chord with me because being middle-aged I've already had friends dealing with the death of their spouse. I imagined the choices I'd have to make if I was in Betta's shoes. How do we go on after losing our partner and is there any right way or appropriate timing involved in our decisions to move forward? Berg reminds me that we should make the most of each day, since we don't know when the unexpected may occur; and when it does, we have permission to seek happiness and pleasure afterwards. Well done!

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb | 75 comments I just finished this book; I enjoyed it, and found myself looking at my 23 year marriage with my husband with a fresh eye. Made me wish I had friends like Betta, but very grateful I still have my hubby. I tend to choose a Berg novel when I am stressed and need something gentle and slower paced. This fit the bill exactly.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Year of Pleasures (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth Berg (other topics)