SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

1 view
Where do you get your books?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Over at SDMB, in a thread about potential changes to the board, several have suggested adding links to Amazon. This got me curious. What proportion of the books you read do you buy (vs. libraries or borrowing, etc.), and of those you buy, where do you buy them and in what proportions?

I buy almost everything I read (at least 99%) because I hate not being able to put my hands on a book easily to refresh my memory. Of those books, I buy

Amazon: 10%
Borders: 25%
Powell's: 30%
Daedalus: 10%
Book clubs (e.g., SFBC): 5%
Independent used/new: 20%

And you?

message 2: by What Exit? (new)

What Exit? | 11 comments I buy a lot of used books 35%
B&N 20%
Borders 10%
Amazon 10%
Library 5% but increasing again
Buy.com 20%

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 153 comments Mod
I use the library. I buy maybe 3 or 4 books a year lately.

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 76 comments I don't use the library anymore because I don't like giving the books back. :)

Local used bookstore - 25%
Half.com - 30%
Amazon - 30% (mostly new releases that I can't wait for)
Local B&N - 15% (new paperbacks or books from their cutout tables)

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 20 comments Last year - 36 of my 82 reads were library, so that's pretty much my main source of new reads (37 were owned, with 6 re-reads, 2 borrowed and 7 e-books)

I mostly buy from used bookstores - occasionally from Books A Million (local) or Borders/Barnes & Noble (an hour away)

Online: Amazon is mainly source for books off my wish list (Christmas & Birthday), and Quality Paperback Books (book club) has some interesting stuff that I can get a bit cheaper than other sources.

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam | 87 comments 100% Amazon -- there's no used bookstore within 50 miles of me, and the only other bookstore is a small one in a mall and it never has what I want.

I buy new, if it's a favorite author, or if the book is the latest in a series that I've been following. Otherwise I buy used, unless I can't find a used one in really good condition. I won't buy from a seller who doesn't describe the book. "May have underlining" doesn't cut it as a description.

Like Eleanor, I don't use the library because I don't like giving the books back.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 76 comments What forum is the SDMB thread in, or what's it called? It sounds interesting.

It's not far below the stickies in ATMB: "Future of SDMB subscriptions".

message 8: by bup (new)

bup I *try* to get most of my books from paperbackswap.com, but I can only get them as fast as people want mine.

Otherwise, I buy used books.

I live in an area not served by a library unless we pay for it, and the library's about to undergo a huge renovation, so it doesn't seem worth it right now (although they are selling off a lot of extra copies of books they don't want anymore for pretty cheap).

God I sound like a cheap bastard.

message 9: by Dani (last edited Jan 30, 2008 10:47AM) (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments I always buy. I'm a collector of books and was promised my own library one day (if the house is big enough!)

I stopped using Amazon for used books when they upped their shipping costs. When I'm searching for an OOP book, I try Powell's then Abebooks. The physical Powell's I try to avoid because I go mental in their shops & my wallet suffers greatly but the local used bookstores are overpriced and their stock is generally Harelquin romances.

Amazon: 65%
Abebooks: 5%
Powell's: 5%
Local used bookstores: 10% (Hastings sometimes has good stuff)
Given by friends who are lightening their collection: 15%
Paperbackswap: negligible at this point but I've used it.

message 10: by Anu (new)

Anu | 1 comments It was 100% Borders but now that I live right next door to a library, I've started taking some books out there.

I still prefer to buy them because I'm HORRIBLE about returning stuff on time and the amount of money I pay in fines is approximately what a paperback is worth these days, anyway.

I'd love to do scamazon but I'm at work whenever they swing by and never get to sign for things.

message 11: by Schnuckiputzi (new)

Schnuckiputzi | 4 comments 40% Amazon, because I can find ANYTHING there
30% Borders/Waldenbooks
15% used book store/ebay
15% library book sales ($5.00 for everything you can fit in a paper grocery bag!!)

I have bought book 'lots' off of ebay and sometimes there are real gems in there.
I don't go the library to borrow -- they want them back.

message 12: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 1 comments I also hate having a deadline in which to read a book, and I especially hate not being able to keep a book Ive read!

Used book stores: 70%
Barnes and Noble: 15%
Paperbackswap: 5%
Library book sales: 5%

message 13: by Dora (new)

Dora | 41 comments Library 90%
5% amazon
5% Barnes and Noble/Borders
Occasional independent bookstores, borrowed from friends, etc aren't enough to be significant.

If I don't get to a book before it's due, I'll take it back and try again. I can usually prioritize books in a way that I get through them before they're due. I've also been known to keep books a couple of extra days just so I can finish. Our fines are only 10 cents/day, so it still works out to be cheaper than buying.

message 14: by PastAllReason (new)

PastAllReason | 11 comments I buy rather than borrow from the library. I buy most of mine from Chapters/Indigo, the Canadian equivalent of Barnes & Noble. Others I buy from independent booksellers, university bookstore, "super stores" or drugstores.