The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Intros, Questions & Suggestions > Travel Tips to Montreal and Quebec City???

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Me again, with more travel questions for all of you fabulously seasoned travelers! :-> Any one traveled to Montreal and Quebec City?

I'm curious about public transportation--
I hear it is pretty easy but I have some specifics questions like how easy is it to manage with luggage (hard to imagine taking a suitcase on the subway, for example, if it is anything like the underground in London!) I'm not talking anything more than a regular-sized roller suitcase. From what I read, it's pretty much pointless to use a car in Old Quebec and not really necessary in Montreal, either--lots of trouble finding parking and expense with paid parking, too.

We'd be flying to Montreal, spending a few nights there, then going up to Quebec City for about three nights so also curious if it's best to rent a car and just park it in Quebec City--or take train or bus from Montreal to Quebec and just nix the idea of a rental car altogether. I'm such a country girl--big cities and public transit, that is where I get nervous...! Of course, I did fine in London, but I understand most of the signs in QC are in French--which I don't really speak except for general politeness.

Thanks!!!

message 2: by Mary-Ann (new)

Mary-Ann (arcticsilence) I don't know much about Quebec City I only went there once and it was only for a night, or maybe two and was busy with stuff so only had a little time to walk around.

Montreal however, it depends when you are staying. I'm sure by now there is a transit site that you can look up bus routes on but I do know that when I lived there, You could take the bus from the airport to Dorval Transit Centre (like a mini bus station for city busses) then get on another bus that took you to Lionel Groux (sp?) Metro station, switch to the Subway and take the subway downtown.

It really depends on your party though , how many of you are and convenience wise if you would be willing to splurge for a cab. To be honest, I always did that even though I was just a university student. Unless it was a short trip and I just had carry-on luggage for the plane.

The metro (subway) can be super busy in the summer it depends on the time of day though. Other times it can be eerily quiet, its hard to predict that if your going in summer festival season I think you can assume that it will be busy.

As far as I know the Metro isn't zoned like london so if you ARE taking public transit and you are staying downtownish you should be able to get down there on one fare. And to most of the sites too.

Is there anything in particular in montreal that perks your interest? I don't know enough about Quebec City to offer much info but despite being a relative homebody I lived in Montreal for 4 years, and have sources who can probably answer questions for me.

I never found being unilingual english to be a problem in montreal. I know only a smidgen of french, but if you know you are heading there learning afew more words and trying some I think it shows good faith. I knew more then that I do now, and I think that goes a long way ... the effort but most hotels, the transit staff etc will be bilingual. The signage for public transit is fairly easy to follow (the subway/metro anyhow... I was nervous of buses until I got use to them... )

I am not sure what else to say, but if you have any other questions about montreal if I know the answers. :)

I loved living there and if I had more talent with languages and was able to be fluent in french I might have stayed there (You don't need to know french to live there, but you need to know french to WORK there with any sort of ease) Definately a great 'tourist' city to me, especially in the summer. :)

Hope that helps and... I may be back later if I think of something else that I feel worth sharing. I'm all 'rambly and tense' from work today ;)

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Thank you, Mary-Ann. That is so helpful! I will check with my husband and see if we have any extra questions! :-)

message 4: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 1 comments I have traveling to Montreal next month have few days trip there I need a cheapest car rentals in Montreal. Can anyone suggest few?

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments We only used public transportation or walked both of which were very easy to do in that city. Sorry I can't be of more help.