Fantasy Book Club discussion

Old threads > July/August Fantasy Poll is now closed. And the winner is...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Please submit your nominations for what you'd like to read in July and discuss in August.

Please remember, nominations are limited to 2 per person, and must be accompanied by a blurb explaining why you chose it.

(There will not be a GR Author read for July/August, based on the consensus that people prefer to do those once every three months.)

Nominations must be in by May 17th!

message 2: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 224 comments I will again nominate The Book of Joby just because I already have it on my shelf and have not yet read it.

message 3: by John (new)

John Beachem | 373 comments I'm going to nominate Barker's [Book: Weaveworld].

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 889 comments I'm going to nominate,

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King.

This choice should appeal to King fans as well as those that have never read him. It's a YA fantasy, so should appeal to fans of that sub-genre, as well as those that avoid King because they don't like horror. It's also a great source for links to the Dark Tower series, for fans of that work, but knowledge of that series isn't necessary to read this. And finally, it is a stand alone novel, which can be a rare find in fantasy....

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 534 comments I would like to nominate two books that I've had on my to-be-read pile at home, neither of which I have read, but both authors I thoroughly enjoy:

The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay - Five university students--Kimberly, Dave, Jennifer, Kevin, and Paul--meet a wizard who takes them to the heart of all worlds, Fionavar, where they discover who they were truly meant to be.

Jaran The First Novel of the Jaran by Kate Elliott - The first book in Kate Elliott's acclaimed Jaran series-the groundbreaking story of a young woman coming of age on an alien planet...and her effect on the human race's survival.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Great choice Chris! :)

message 7: by Libby (new)

Libby | 242 comments I'd like to nominate this one that I've been meaning to pick up. Looks interesting but people may have read this one.

Odd Thomas

message 9: by Cody (new)

Cody (Snakewind) Megan wrote: "I'd like to nominate Terry Goodkind Wizard's First Rule because I've got half of the series waiting on my bookshelf to be read. :)"

those books are really really good. I'm on 5th book, Fire of the Soul. Hope you'll like it :)

message 10: by Robin (last edited May 11, 2009 09:24PM) (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments So I'm going to go really "Strange". This is really not "fantasy" it the strictest sense but it does have all the standard fantasy themes. Band of travlers, Evil Overlord, questing, little bit of magic and a "world" that while our own is not "conventional".

I'd like to recommend Watership Down - a great book about of all things...Bunnies.

Then I'll go "old school" and recommend The Hobitt just because it has been 20 years and I need an excuse to do a re-read.

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Sounds good to me Robin, I need to read Watership Down anyway! :)

message 12: by John (new)

John Beachem | 373 comments Robin wrote: "So I'm going to go really "Strange". This is really not "fantasy" it the strictest sense but it does have all the standard fantasy themes. Band of travlers, Evil Overlord, questing, little bit of ..."

Oooh, good nominations... haven't read [Book: Watership Down] since High School.

message 13: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Not sure if everyone's already read this one but I'm nominating Mister Monday because Garth Nix is an Australian author and a friend of mine has been bugging me to read this book for ages. :)

message 14: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradparker) I would also like to nominate The Eyes of the Dragon. I have been wanting to really get into Stephen King and read more of the Dark Tower series, but wanted to get a bit more King background before I really dive into that series.

For my second nomination, I would like to nominate Assassin's Apprentice. I have heard great things about this author, and would love to give this book a shot.

message 15: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 Libby wrote: "I'd like to nominate this one that I've been meaning to pick up. Looks interesting but people may have read this one.

Odd Thomas"

Becky wrote: "Great choice Chris! :)"

I'd like to second that nomination for Odd Thomas, it's a good book.

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Since the nominations are ending tomorrow, and I still haven't nominated anything, I think I am going to go with Sabriel by Garth Nix.

I have this one sitting on my shelf and one of my good friends on here gave it rave reviews. Plus I like zombies, and apparently there are lots of them in Sabriel. ;)

My second nomination would be for To Reign in Hell, again.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Becky, nice choice ;)

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Thank you. I'd hope you'd think so, as you are the friend who gave the rave reviews of which I spoke. :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) no! me? :)

well, good thing you'll be reading it soon whether it wins or not, so I have nothing to worry about.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 889 comments Interesting choices this month...

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I nominate Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirrlees.

It is one of Neil Gaiman's Top 10 favorite books (as per an interview on bn.com), and I think it looks interesting!

Here is the GR summary:

This is the story of Master Nathaniel Chanticleer, a respectable burgher who learns that his young son has eaten forbidden faery fruit. Lud-in-the-Mist, of the title, is a quasi-medieval town, governed by Master Nathaniel Chanticleer. The town is of the very sensible sort, but being bordered on the west by Fairyland and the Debatable Hills, there are problems in the trafficking of illegal fairy fruit, which Nathaniel's young son eats. The real story underneath concerns the place of fantasy and the imagination in real life, and in the end there is a fine reconciliation of the two. There are swirling subplots as well, which add layers of mystery to an extraordinarily enchanting tale.

message 23: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 765 comments Becky wrote: "Since the nominations are ending tomorrow, and I still haven't nominated anything, I think I am going to go with Sabriel by Garth Nix.

I have this one sitting on my shelf and one of..."

Good choice on Sabriel. I'm reading that right now. :)

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it. And like Allison said, I'll be reading it soon even if it doesn't win...

But, now that it's the 17th, nominating is closed. :)

I'm off to make the poll now -- Be sure to vote!

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Poll is up, please vote! You have until May 27th to get them in! :)

message 26: by Martha (new)

Martha (tilla) | 187 comments Becky wrote: "Since the nominations are ending tomorrow, and I still haven't nominated anything, I think I am going to go with Sabriel by Garth Nix.

I have this one sitting on my shelf and one of..."

I'd second either To Reign in Hell or Watership Down

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) No need to second a nomination, Martha. :) Be sure to vote in the poll though, otherwise your preference won't count.

message 28: by Martha (new)

Martha (tilla) | 187 comments Becky wrote: "No need to second a nomination, Martha. :) Be sure to vote in the poll though, otherwise your preference won't count. "

since I'm new to this - where's the poll?

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Here's a link to the current poll... http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/15...

You should see a menu towards the top right of the screen under "Fantasy Book Club": Group Home, bookshelf, discussions, events, photos, etc. The last option should be "Polls" and that will take you to the poll page where you can find all the current and past polls. :)

Hope that helps!

message 30: by Martha (new)

Martha (tilla) | 187 comments thank you!

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Provost (parthalan) | 19 comments I vote for Watership Down. I haven't read it in ages, but I just saw the movie again.

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Jenn, make sure that you vote in the poll so that your vote counts! We're strictly going by the poll results. :)

Thanks!

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Sorry Thalia, the nominating is closed for this round, but please be sure to nominate it next month! (Nominating should start again around the 1st of June, give or take.) :)

message 34: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Sabriel and Assassin's Apprentice have a nice little rivalry going! Make sure to vote. Only a few days left... :)

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Assassin's Apprentice is picking up a little lead! We might get to read this one finally! Two days left, get your votes in!

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) One day left to vote. Assassin's Apprentice has got a definite lead going. 13-6 over Sabriel at the moment.

message 37: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Assassin's Apprentice, which pulled ahead to beat Sabriel by 7 points! :) I'm excited to see this win after so many attempts!

message 38: by Tom (last edited May 27, 2009 04:25AM) (new)

Tom (tommyro) The voting ends May 27th. Today is the 27th, so can I still vote today or did the voting actually end yesterday, the 26th?

If I can still vote, I vote for The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King.

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Sorry, the poll ended at 12am Pacific time on May 27th, so technically, it ended the night of the 26th. I forgot to mention that when I set up the poll.

Your vote brings Eyes of the Dragon up to 5 votes, so it still would not change the results, but I do apologize for not being clearer about when the poll would end.

message 40: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 765 comments I keep meaning to reread the Farseer trilogy, so I'm happy to see Assassin's Apprentice won. I never actually finished the third book, so this finally gives me an excuse to get back to it. :)

message 41: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 812 comments Another re-read. I'll work it in, if I can.

message 42: by Matt (last edited May 28, 2009 11:04AM) (new)

Matt I bought Assassin's Apprentice over two years ago along with several other series starters. It's been sitting on my shelf ever since. No idea why I haven't gotten to it sooner. I'm glad I finally have a reason to pick it up!

message 43: by John (new)

John Beachem | 373 comments I've looked at this one on the shelves multiple times, but never got around to picking it up. Guess I'll give it a gander.

message 44: by Tom (new)

Tom (tommyro) Just bought it. Hope Assassin's Apprentice is as good as everyone says.

message 45: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) Yay! A customer convinced me to buy it the other day.

message 46: by Robin (last edited Jun 03, 2009 11:15PM) (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments For those that don't mind reading on computer - there is a free down load from Suvudu

-- Wife of author Michael J. Sullivan: The Crown Conspiracy | Avempartha

message 47: by John (new)

John Beachem | 373 comments Robin wrote: "For those that don't mind reading on computer - there is a free down load on - you can get this free from Suvudu

Cool. Thanks Robin.

message 48: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 Too bad it's not in any public libraries in our 4-county system.

message 49: by Joe (new)

Joe Crollard So the winner is Assassin's Apprentice? I actually bought that last month and haven't read it..cool!

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yes, for the July book. The poll is still open for the August book. :)

« previous 1