The Importance of Reading Ernest discussion

Group Business > Story of the Month Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 219 comments Mod
Here you go, folks. Make some suggestions of stories you'd like to discuss.

message 2: by Preb (new)

Preb Knudsen | 17 comments Three suggestions:
THE UNDEFEATED
A great bullfight story. But long! We might need two months for that one.
IN ANOTHER COUNTRY
One of my absolute favourites - because of the statement by the Major: We must have things we can't lose!
FATHERS AND SONS
The is possibly THE story that deals with Hem's difficult relationship with his father.

Best wishes!

message 3: by Brad (new)

All good choices, Preb

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth FATHERS AND SONS - who doesn't want a little family drama?

Ruth

message 5: by Brad (new)

Fathers and Sons it is then.

message 6: by Emilly R (new)

Emilly R (rosario0829e) | 6 comments I love Fathers and Sons but i like to sugests The Doctor And The Doctor's Wife.

message 7: by Preb (new)

Preb Knudsen | 17 comments I was delighted to see that Ruth was in favour of Fathers and Sons. And I do understand that stories like THE UNDEFEATED might be far too long for our purposes.
The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife suggested by Emilly is also a 'family thing' - the type of story Hem probably wrote to sort out, in his mind and in his emotions, the troubled relationship he had with his dad AND the terrible marriage his parents had to endure. Isn't it fair to assume that? Any biography (and there are some good ones) will tell us it was not a happy home.

And we know that Hem's ma dressed him in girl's clothes (which he must have hated!), obviously having wanted a girl and not him. A memory that would make him resentful and could explain Hem's macho attitude (he was probably a very sensitive man behind the tough exterior). And family background does shape us, doesn't it?

Any story will do for me!

Best wishes to all.

message 8: by Emilly R (new)

Emilly R (rosario0829e) | 6 comments Hi Preb,you seems to know Hemingway well i do agree that any of those stories will do.

message 9: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (ladybrettashley) | 17 comments i like 'fathers & sons' - i'm down.

message 10: by Gary (last edited Apr 14, 2010 07:04PM) (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
for christmas..... anticipation for it.... GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN....quite the story..... keep it in mind for december 2010!

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Villines | 10 comments I watched the movie version of The Killers on AMC and thought it was a good balance between Hemingway’s story and an expanded format that was actually entertaining. The AMC announcer said that Hemingway thought that this movie was the best movie version of his works and that he actually showed the movie to his guests. However, he also said that Hemingway fell asleep after the first reel because that was the only part of the movie that was based on his original story. I thought that this might make for a good story-of-the-month and the movie comparison could be something for others to look into.

message 12: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
Daniel, who are the actors in the movie version? What year did it come out? b & w?