Fahrenheit 451 Fahrenheit 451 discussion

Fireproof? REALLY!!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daryl-Ann (last edited May 08, 2009 12:34PM) (new) - added it

Daryl-Ann H. When they fireproofed all the houses, how come they didn't eliminate the "firefighter" ocupation? I wonder if they burn libraries too!

Kandice They changed the fireman job. We call them firefighters today, so it only makes sense that they put fires out.

When Bradbury wrote this book, the term they used was fireman, so for the job to change from putting fires out, to starting them, still would have fit.

If they found a collection or cache of unaccounted for books, they would burn them, regardless of where they were located.

Sheila Of course, they could still be called "firemen" even by our own terms if you see the books they destroy as potential dangerous "sparks" or catalysts that light and feed the human imagination.

Thus, the flames they put out are the ideas of the books themselves, and their ability to change the status quo.

Cheryl Oh, well put Sheila!

Sheila Thanks Cheryl. I've been really into Bradbury's works for the last year or so. He's amazing.

Cheryl He is. I've read Dandelion Wine several times and want to again. I'm def. going to re-read The Martian Chronicles soonish. And the thing is, I'm not re-reader.

Kataury You should read Something Wicked This Way Comes A very good story and one of my favorites of Bradbury's.

message 8: by Sheila (last edited Apr 11, 2011 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheila I think I may sound like a broken record, but what got me into Bradbury to begin with is We'll Always Have Paris: Stories, a collection of stories I stumbled across in my library's New Reads section a couple of years ago. While some of his older collections of shorts begin to look alike to me, this one still really stands out as new and fresh. I love Dandelion Wine though too. It's so summery. I may have to reread that one soon.

message 9: by S. (new)

S. Sheila wrote: "Of course, they could still be called "firemen" even by our own terms if you see the books they destroy as potential dangerous "sparks" or catalysts that light and feed the human imagination.

..."

Nice. very insightful.

message 10: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash I just want to agree that your comment is spot on, Sheila. I never thought of it that way, but it's perfect.

I recall really enjoying We'll Always Have Paris as well - I also grabbed it from my library's new reads section.

This thread reminded me that I really need to read Fahrenheit 451 again. It's been a while.