Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > A Spoiler Hater's Worst Nightmare

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8262 comments I knew you guys would appreciate this. I went in for my recording gig this afternoon and was assigned to a booth where someone was already reading, with the idea that we would take turns reading. In that situation the person who isn't reading follows along and lets the reader know if they make an error so they can go back and re-record.

Anyway, I sat down and quickly found my place in the open book to follow along. It was sort of near to the end of the book, and my eyes wandered up to the top of the page where I saw the title... The Hour I First Believed A Novel. I instantly recognized the title of Wally Lamb's latest, a book I planned to read eventually.

Shoot! What to do? I knew reading this for two hours would all but ruin the ending, but it would have been big drama to request another booth and book. I decided to take my chances and go with the flow. I had no plans to read the book in the near future since I was still feeling the impact of the last BFB of his I read, I Know This Much Is True. I hoped that maybe by the time I got around to reading THIFB I would have forgotten anything I read.

As it turned out it was so close to the end, and so much of it was a philosophical wrap-up and reflections by the MC, that I learned one key plot twist and a couple of minor ones that i decided weren't so bad to know.

I don't know how many Wally Lamb readers there are here but the book follows fictional characters involved in the Columbine killings. I know we talked about the Columbine saturation in the media, but I have to say that the final chapters to this book were quite powerful, and I was moved as I read them. So, a nice ending to what could have been a disaster of a situation for this spoiler-hater.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Carol: I am glad you didn't end up with a major spoiler during your assigned recording session that was finishing the Wally Lamb book. The buddy reading set-up sounds like a good idea!
As a regular audio book listener I think I would find it a bit odd to listen to a book with that many alternating reader voices. I know you love audio books too, have you heard any of the output that you are "team recording"?
Just curious, will the record-a-thon results of total hours recorded this week be published?

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I knew you guys would appreciate this. I went in for my recording gig this afternoon and was assigned to a booth where someone was already reading, with the idea that we would take turns reading. ..."

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8262 comments Ann wrote: "As a regular audio book listener I think I would find it a bit odd to listen to a book with that many alternating reader voices. I know you love audio books too, have you heard any of the output that you are "team recording"?
Just curious, will the record-a-thon results of total hours recorded this week be published?
..."

I agree with you, I would find it disconcerting. I have *not* heard any of the output, but when I begin I always rewind a little to hear some of the previous reader, so I know how different our voices can be in style and proficiency, and how one responds to a reader can be quite individual. As an audio listener I've had professional readers I like who other folks found distracting, and vice versa.

I was reading tonite with a woman whose first time it was, and she was, well, to be charitable I'll say clearly new to the experience. Listening to unskilled readers would bother me, I think, but I'm used to hearing professional readers who are compensated for their work, some of whom are professional actors as well. None of us are Jim Dale, that's for sure!

I'm told that the feedback RFB&D gets is that people are immensely grateful for the service, which is offered free to consumers in need, particularly as it makes available textbooks and other books that otherwise would not be available on audio. RFB&D also is unusal in that they take requests, and sometimes get a request from a student who says "I am in a course and we are using this textbook.. can you record it for me?" Which means speed is of the essence as well, so while there are quality standards they are balanced with the need to make the book available as soon as possible.

As a product these books must be positioned quite differently from the professionally read audio -- The Hour I First Believed surely has a commercially available audio version and the publisher wouldn't want any competition in that regard.

Fiction reads, especially popular fiction, are quite uncommon in the daily life of the RFB&D volunteer. I think they must have stacked the offerings this week to make it easier and more interesting for people who haven't had much practice... this record-a-thon is also a chance to bring new readers into the fold.

You know I really should go to bed eventually, but you asked about the total number of hours/books read, and they do indeed get tallied and posted up in the studio at the end of the week. I will post them here, since you are interested.

message 4: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Carol said: "You know I really should go to bed eventually, but you asked about the total number of hours/books read, and they do indeed get tallied and posted up in the studio at the end of the week. I will post them here, since you are interested. "

I'd be interested too, Carol.

Now, speaking of straying from the topic, I have a Goodreads quibble. I find their dating of posts as "14 hours 32 minutes ago" quite annoying. When you ended your post saying you needed to get to bed, I immediately looked to see when you'd been posting. Then ::::grumble:::: I had to compute the time from the "hours ago" indicator. Why not just put the date and time of the post? I know it goes to that eventually, but I don't see the value in the "hours ago" to begin with.

Jan O'Cat

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8262 comments I agree with you 300%, and found myself in the same position last night. I was exchanging posts with Ann and was trying to figure out when her posts were coming; she was either up as late as i was or she was an hour behind me. I was exhausted enough without being made to count backwards. Whose idea was that?

JanOMalleycat wrote: "Now, speaking of straying from the topic, I have a Goodreads quibble. I find their dating of posts as "14 hours 32 minutes ago" quite annoying. When you ended your post saying you needed to get to bed, I immediately looked to see when you'd been posting. Then ::::grumble:::: I had to compute the time from the "hours ago" indicator. Why not just put the date and time of the post? I know it goes to that eventually, but I don't see the value in the "hours ago" to begin with. ..."

message 6: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments JanOMalleycat wrote: I don't see the value in the "hours ago" to begin with.

Au contraire. If revenge is a dish best served cold, without the "hours ago" how would one know? Same reason why the thermos is the world's greatest invention.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Carol: LOL, I assumed we were up at the same time last night, corresponding the wee hours away!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I agree with you 300%, and found myself in the same position last night. I was exchanging posts with Ann and was trying to figure out when her posts were coming; she was either up as late as i was or she was an hour behind me. I was exhausted enough without being made to count backwards. Whose idea was that? ..."

message 8: by OMalleycat (last edited May 08, 2009 09:00PM) (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Dan said: "Au contraire. If revenge is a dish best served cold, without the "hours ago" how would one know? Same reason why the thermos is the world's greatest invention."

I take my revenge the way I take my kibble: any way I can get it. Hot, cold, I don't care. Just rattle the box and I'm there.

On the other hand, I take my coffee as hot as I can stand. So I agree with you about the thermos.

Is this the first time we've agreed, Dan? Did it take Goodreads for us to finally see eye to eye on beverage toting devices?

Jan O'Cat

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments "hours ago" takes away the need of translating timezones. I have a few boards that attempt to translate, others that pick an arbitrary zone, never mine, for all post times, and one usually does not wrok, the other is even more confusing. I find myself answering posts that according to the time have not even been written yet.
Barry

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 120 comments Dan posited: Au contraire. If revenge is a dish best served cold, without the "hours ago" how would one know? Same reason why the thermos is the world's greatest invention.

But Dan, HOW DO IT KNOW?? :o)

Donna in Southern Maryland, on a warm day, freezing in the Library

message 11: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Is this the first time we've agreed, Dan? Did it take Goodreads for us to finally see eye to eye on beverage toting devices?
Jan O'Cat

Possibly, but I am standing in a hole, so that may have something to do with it.

message 12: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments But Dan, HOW DO IT KNOW?? :o)
Donna in Southern Maryland

As Howard Cosell would have said, "That is a question for the ages.

message 13: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments Daniel wrote: "But Dan, HOW DO IT KNOW?? :o)
Donna in Southern Maryland

As Howard Cosell would have said, "That is a question for the ages."

God bless Howard Cosell!! Monday Night Football was never the same after he left.