Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Recent purchases?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (last edited Jan 29, 2008 02:20PM) (new)

Alexandra What have you purchased recently, even though you already (I assume!) have plenty on your "to read" pile already?

I tend to avoid going to a bookstore, because I'll end up bringing home more books, when I have so many I haven't read already. I have trouble enough with Amazon.com, but at least there usually I can find what I want and get out without a dozen other books catching my eye.

But this weekend my sister dragged me to the bookstore (with me not needing much arm twisting I admit). I did fairly well, only brought one book home Capacity by Tony Ballantyne, a sci-fi that looks interesting I expect will either turn out to be fairly good, or really terrible. LOL

What about you? Added anything to your "to read" pile lately?

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra I understand. I bought Capacity because the cover caught my eye and the blurb on the back cover sounded interesting. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't. But I have found some enjoyable but little known books that way in the past.

message 3: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 32 comments I recently purchased "Heart of Darkness" by Conrad and "Catch-22" by Heller

message 4: by Fenixbird (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 56 comments I just bought a Doris Lessing book, "The Summer Before Dark," which is a totally creative read! Umm..saving up kind of for the Nurses' Auxiliary Book Sale (once a year here in Arizona)....everything used & real cheap!!

Hey I'm a college student again!! LOL

message 5: by Shawnee (new)

Shawnee (Icedream) | 24 comments I am such a book buying addict! I have a huge list of books that I bought just since January but my last two purchases were for pre-order books I am really looking forward to.
Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson
The Night Following by Morag Joss

message 6: by Clayton (new)

Clayton | 52 comments Bought and read The Thirteenth Tale last week. Well done and interesting. One relationship was creepy and the author certainly captured the "creepiness" of it. Great version of a modern "gothic" type story. A friend just gave me Plum Lucky. Have actually never read any of the Stephanie Plum novels. Apparently this is a between the number novel, so I assume I dont have to read the 13 in the series to get an idea of how this series goes? Anyone a fan of this Evanovich series?

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) I dropped 60 bucks at borders yesterday on three books. I want to weep now, but at the time, i was thrilled. I bought You Suck (moore - paperback), Ghost (HARDCOVER- Lightman) and Sharp Teeth (HARCOVER - Baxter)...

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin | 13 comments Clayton,

I too am an Evanovich fan. I have read all of the Stephanie Plum novels and am currently reading Plum Lucky. I believe you can actually start on any of the books without having read the previous ones and you'll be fine. Her books are hilarious. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

message 9: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Watson | 37 comments I have way too many books that I havent read yet, but I still went in B&N this weekend because I had a gift card that was burning a hole in my pocket, ha. I also had coupons I couldnt let expire. So, I bought Patterson's 6th Target and 7th Heaven. That's what I went in to get.....but then they had a 'buy 2 and get 1 free' table so I picked up 100 Years of Solitude, I know why the Caged Bird Sings, and A Girl Named Zippy.