booksellers-unite! discussion

cats and booksellers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wright (wrightales) | 8 comments I was trying to determine the reasons that so many booksellers are cat-people. The most obvious reason is the cat-lap connection: booksellers are readers, readers have laps, cats love laps.
Along the same lines, cats do not need to be walked therefore they are less likely to be annoyed by an indoor lifestyle than dogs. But I think the real reason is attitude. You have to take them seriously.
They are not going to fall all over themselves to please you. Kind of like booksellers.

message 2: by Sal (new)

Sal | 1 comments There is nothing better than curling up with a good book and a purring cat!

Librarians also have an affinity....see Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicky Myron

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wright (wrightales) | 8 comments Scoot wrote: "Plus, I've had dogs mistake books for chew toys. I've never had a cat do that. Although a friend's cat did chew up a comic book. He chewed a straight line along the spine. Strangest thing I ever sa..."

If that is the strangest thing you ever saw a cat do, then you haven't spent much time around cats. One cat we had, Juno, would hunker down in the bathtub waiting for someone to sit down on the toilet so she could attack them. ( She was NOT a nice cat, but cats are like children in that once they are yours, they are yours for good.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (bookphilosophy) | 1 comments I think I like cats because they (usually) are a lot calmer (and quieter...except for my very VERBAL Siamese) than dogs. They are so much more independent 7 quirky with such unique personalities...ummm...they have layers like onions and ogres, yeah, that's it. They are just more interesting I guess. I have 7, yes S-E-V-E-N, kitties. Not to mention a parrot, a fish, a three-year-old son (very similar to having a hyper puppy) and a 10-week-old baby girl.

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (evilwinterelf) | 3 comments I like cats better because they don't bark at every little thing that passes the window. And, except for the litter box, they smell better too. The last cat I had was a hyper little devil of a thing. She was raised wild and never got used to walls, she thought she was suppose to run on them I guess. It didn't work must of the time. She was a beauty though, pure black.