Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > Secret Behind the Pacific's Giant Waves

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sally, la reina (last edited May 07, 2009 01:42PM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Or so said the BBC news headline. Links to a short, sweet video of digital camera technology figuring out how waves work. Coolness.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the video was very cool. i would love that on IMAX. def trick!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That in Imax would be neat.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love to watch surfing. Step Into Liquid was a great documentary about surfing all over the world, and it had a section about surfing those huge waves, too.
The guys had a special surfboard with a rudder thing on it that let them ride above the waves on just the rudder platform. It was amazing!

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

That was a great movie. We watched that one night on our honeymoon. The condo owners had that and Blue Crush. They were awesome as a double feature, with the ocean crashing right outside our window.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 07, 2009 03:46PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I've never been surfing...I'd love to try it. Jacks, did you surf growing up in Hawaii?

And Blue Crush...not just the waves were lookin' good in that one...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've tried surfing once on vacation, but never did it as a kid. I did okay (it was a very gentle area for surfing, all I had to do was not fall off), but the paddling out to catch the wave took too long for my patience.

I'd rather snorkle and look at the pretty fish under the water.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have surfed and it is not easy. cool but not easy. boogie boarding, skim boarding and body surfing are all pretty cool but not like surfing

message 9: by Knarik (new)

Knarik It was beautiful!!!

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori SUrfing never looked easy to me, Kevin. Lots of balance and muscle power to stay above that vortex!

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments trust me, i am no expert but the short time you are riding the curl is worth all the effort

message 12: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments So cool. I can see why the waves call to people to come and ride them, be part of them. Seeing it in slow motion makes you want to be there and see it, experience it and its elemental power.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments forget cosmos stuff, i just want to be at the beach

message 14: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 50 comments yesss!!!! beach is the perfect place ever!!
agree??

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to TC, Cj!

(Although I must admit I'm not a beach person at all, at least during the day. At night the beach is tolerable.)

message 16: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 50 comments "thank you..."

so, waht is the beach means here?

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven)

message 18: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 50 comments yes,,,
i catch tht beach...
i love tht!

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Where is that Larry? Maui?

message 20: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 50 comments yep a beautiful paradise...

message 21: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 50 comments wht is tht?

message 22: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Um, good question. Bun?

I have to get cosmic over beaches cause when you grow up with the Oregon coast (which would freeze off the balls of a penguin), you can't explore the water with much else besides your mind.

I can't wait to go to Florida....

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: "Where is that Larry? Maui?"

It's wherever you want it to be Sara.

message 24: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 50 comments why you deleted tht?
my country have a verry beautifull beach too bun.

message 25: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Where are you from CJ?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to TC Cj.

I'll take the mountains over beaches, although I do love water.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Cosmic Sherrie wrote: "Um, good question. Bun?

I have to get cosmic over beaches cause when you grow up with the Oregon coast (which would freeze off the balls of a penguin), you can't explore the water with much else..."

But the Oregon beaches ARE incredibly beautiful. Just in a different way.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I like to watch the puffins flying. They nest on that big rock in the distance, which is called Haystack Rock.
They fly like footballs with wings, which takes a lot of flapping. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sandy. And sometimes when there's phosphorous in the water, you can leave glowing footprints at night.

message 30: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 08, 2009 06:21PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Did I ever mention my puffin dream here?

I once dreamed that puffins attacked me while I was walking down my hall at work. I have no idea why. However, I made the dire mistake of mentioning this to a class, and for the next month puffin-related merchandise kept appearing in my office. I have stuff animal puffins, puffin cereal, puffin granola bars (um, the last two not actually made of puffins), and an anti-puffin shield and goggles set.

I just threw some of it away this week, actually, while packing to move offices.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hahahahahahahahahaha!!! I'm glad to hear the puffin foodstuffs were not actually made of puffin, RA.

You probably shouldn't have mentioned the puffin thing here, though...

message 32: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ha...Jacks...yes, the story is somewhat legendary now around the building.

My kids know, too, and every time we go to a zoo they say, "Don't you want to see the puffins? Don't you want to see the puffins?"

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments And I can't help but ask, when puffins attack, what do they do?
And, were they regular-size puffins? Or special giant-size DREAM puffins?

And lastly, wasn't someone analyzing dreams a while ago? I really would love to know what that dream MEANS!

message 34: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 08, 2009 06:48PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments They could fly! And they pecked me with their beaks, trying to sneak up from behind. And now that you mention it, they were slightly larger than normal size puffins. Maybe half a dozen of them. Attacking from behind.

If I dream of puffins tonight, Jackie, I'm holding you personally responsible:)

message 35: by Sally, la reina (new)

Bizarre when you all go communally insane. Who put something in the Kool-Aid? Larry? Bun?

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Um ....

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

*pours Kool-Aid into the ficus*

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Look. The leaves are turning purple with pink polkadots.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Don't eat it.

My mom always used to warn me not to eat strange plants, which I kinda thought was unnecessary...

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I always liked puffins.

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh, and muffins, too.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I like muffins! Especially cranberry ones, with sugar on top.

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) MMMMMMMM. Cranberry orange for me. Sally makes excellent blueberry muffins, I understand.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Muffins. I make a wikked banana nut with crumb topping too.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I don't like Costco muffins, any flavor. Too big, too spongy and sticky. And they show up at every staff meeting.

message 46: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm sold.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Shall we all meet at Sally's for banana nut muffins? How's tomorrow morning work for you, Sally?

message 48: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have a full tank of gas, should be able to get there if I start right now.

Do you think Sweeter will mind if we all show up?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I just filled up the tank, too! There's gas in the car...

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally was making donuts, too.

« previous 1