Challenge: 50 Books discussion

*Retired* 2008 Lists > Melissa's 50 for 2008

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MW (new)

MW One month in and only two books down.. bit sad really.

1. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
I got my grubby little hands on this one thru a B&N first look book club. I don't think it will be published until summer, but I highly recommend it to anyone. The characters were wonderfully intricate and I felt I knew tham all personally before the end of the book.
2. Shirley by Charlotte Bronte
One of the few Bronte tales I had yet to read. All of the Bronte sisters were masters with a pen, but I have to admit that Charlotte has always been my favorite, She did not let me down with this story. Though a bit long-winded it was wholly enjoyable.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucky you getting the House on Riverton, I missed the sign up day by 1 day! Did you read Monsters of Templeton from this group? I thought it was ok

message 3: by MW (new)

MW No - I didn't get to read that one, but I heard that it was pretty good. I think it is supposed to publish soon so I might go snag a copy. Do you think it would be worth the money or should I wait for the library to pick it up?

message 4: by MW (new)

MW #3 - A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore.
Loved this book. Christopher Moore is definitely in my top five authors - I have never read a book of his that I have not liked.

#4 - The Hollows 1-3 by Kim Harrison.
(Dead Witch Walking/The Good, The Bad, and The Undead/Every Which Way but Dead) Technically I believe this is cheating because they are re-reads, so I will lump all 6 (including new release) into two groups. I am very excited for her sixth book to come out later this month, but unfortunately it had been too long since the last and the storyline had completely gone out of my head - hence the re-reading of the series. But, I can't say that I mind too much because I enjoyed them even more the second time around.

message 5: by MW (new)

MW #5 - Embraced by Darkness by Keri Arthur
Not the most intellectual read, but enjoyable all the same.

#6 - The Professor by Charlotte Bronte
Love her, loved the book

message 6: by MW (new)

MW #7 - Fistful of Charms and a Few Demons More by Kim Harrison
Second half of series I re-read. Now I just need the 23rd to come around so I can buy Outlaw Demon Wails.

#8 - Sookie Stackhouse 1-3 by Charlaine Harris
(Dead Until Dark/Living Dead in Dallas/Club Dead)
Re-reading yet another series in preperation for new release - From Dead to Worse, due out in May. They are relatively small; it usually only takes me a night to get through one, but they are very entertaining.

message 7: by MW (new)

MW #9 - Black Girl/White Girl by Joyce Carol Oates
I had a bit of difficulty getting into this story, and I am not even sure I could say why. It was well written and the story was interesting - so it was worth the effort.

message 8: by MW (new)

MW #10 - The Devil and Miss Prym by Paul Coelho
This is the temptation novel - I have already read the Alchemist and I want to try to make through all the rest of his emotive books before the end of the year; kind of my goal within a goal. I really liked this one; it had a good lesson and the story was well told.

message 9: by MW (new)

MW #11 - Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn
New paranormal series I uncovered while meandering through the library. The book was small but good being as I finished it in one night. Though 2 AM is admittedly way to late for a girl who needs to work in the morning, but I just can't help the love of the paranormal fiction - *sigh* - oh well, every man needs a vice.

message 10: by MW (new)

MW #12 - Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris
Another over-nighter. Love the Sookie books so I thought I would give one of her other series a try. Something about the way she writes just entraps me and I can't put it down. I will definitely be reading the rest of what she has out - the woman sure tells a good story.

message 11: by MW (last edited Feb 25, 2008 09:49AM) (new)

MW #13 - A Lick of Frost by Laurell K. Hamilton
I had held a hope that because The Harlequin actually had a semblance of plot that the most recent Gentry book would as well - of course I was seriously mistaken, but finished the book despite my folly.
- reviewing my list so far I see a trend - hmmmmm. Probably should take care of that.

message 12: by MW (new)

MW #14 - Already Dead by Charlie Huston
I liked the backbone of the character in this story, and the story itself was lecherous without being repulsive. I enjoyed every second of it.

#15 - Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Now considered part of my top 10.

message 13: by MW (new)

MW #16 - Sweet and Deadly by Charlaine Harris
One of her earlier (c. 1981) mystery novels.

message 14: by MW (new)

MW #17 - Shakespeare's Champion by Charlaine Harris
2nd in Lily Bard series

#18 - Shakespeare's Christmas by Charlaine Harris
3rd in Lily Bard series

message 15: by MW (new)

MW #19 - Shakespeare's Trollop by Charlaine Harris

#20 - Shakespeare's Counselor by Charlaine Harris
Last of the Lily Bard books that have ben written - liked the series a lot.

message 16: by MW (new)

MW #20 - American Gods by Neil Gaiman
I LOVED this book. It is noir without being over the top and the characters that are integrated from mythology are interesting and appealing.

message 17: by MW (new)

MW #21 - Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison
Definitely did not disappoint. I am already itching for the next one in the series to come out!

message 18: by MW (new)

MW #22 - Kitty goes to Washington and Kitty takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn
Was feeling the need for the fluff books this weekend and got through these two, but will only count them as one because they are the same series and (as I mentioned before) fluff.

message 19: by MW (last edited Mar 13, 2008 10:24AM) (new)

MW #23 - Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston

#24 - The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
I definitely see what all the fuss is about over this author - the book was wonderful and I am excited to read the rest of the series.

message 20: by MW (new)

MW #24 - Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

message 21: by MW (new)

MW #25 - Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie Vaughn
Good Friday + closed markets + $3 ebook special = it made the time pass a little more quickly than usual.