Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Happy National Day of Prayer

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Today is the national day of prayer...

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/r...

So I hope, if you pray, you get a chance to do so, to whatever deity or whatever you choose. And I hope if you don't pray you do whatever it is you do that makes you happy:)

Question, though...should the President recognize the national day of prayer? How do you separate church and state when appropriate in a nation with a myriad of faiths and spiritual practices? How can we respect and recognize religions without pushing them in the corner or putting them in the forefront, if you know what I mean?

And good morning:)

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Good morning!
Thanks for the heads up on prayer day.
I will go make my sacrifices.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Wouldn't it be nice.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
That was a nice show. It's still on PBS here.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments we (I) do celebrate this day. it is an intentional day to focus on prayer. we use this day to pray for our nation, our community and its leadership. as for the president observing it, it is easy as a christian to say YES it is ok because at this point the presidents have observed it in the same way i do. if there were a point where the president was a practicing Muslim or something else it would be tougher for me to say that. i am just being honest

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Good point, Kevin. Yeah, change the scenario to a Muslim president, and all of a sudden that day of prayer gets thrown into confusion.

I'd be more for a Day of Thoughtful Reflection, which could INCLUDE prayer, or meditation, or just silence, and would allow for atheists to be included as well as people of faith.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Does that mean I should look at myself in a mirror today, Jackie, and think about what I could improve in my reflection?

I could use a shave...I'm rocking the Miami Vice shadow thing today.

:)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Randomanthony wrote: "Does that mean I should look at myself in a mirror today, Jackie, and think about what I could improve in my reflection?

I could use a shave...I'm rocking the Miami Vice shadow thing today.

:)"

Yes, think about the Don Johnson vibe you're putting out, RA, and if that's really the impression you want to be giving people.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Where's my pastel suitjacket? It's got to be around here somewhere...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hah! Remember back when that was considered cool?

Ah, well, RA. I guess your students can learn from your mistakes, too. :)

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Hah! Remember back when that was considered cool?"

Wait ... it's not?

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I don't think everyone has to be "included" for a day to be recognized. It's not a federal holiday in the sense that government offices aren't closed today. I don't celebrate Halloween but that doesn't mean I don't think it should be a holiday. Not celebrating it is my choice; I choose to be excluded from Halloween activities.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the National Day of Prayer falls on the day I took my finals...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.