Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Authors > L.J. Smith

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexis (last edited May 07, 2009 07:56AM) (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) L.J. Smith was ahead of her time. She was writing YA paranormal romance before Stephenie Meyer had graduated high school. And then she disappeared before the last book in her longest series, Strange Fate, could be published in the the late 90s. In the last couple of years her books have been re-printed, and she's back at work on Strange Fate, along with new stories about some of her beloved characters. For those of us who read her books back in the day, this is especially exciting. And for readers just discovering her, this is a great opportunity to find the work of a truly fabulous author.

Solstice: The Night of the Solstice (1987) and Heart of Valor (1990)

The Vampire Diaries (1991, 2009): The Awakening (1991), The Struggle (1991), The Fury (1991), Dark Reunion (1991) (Reprints: VD1&2 VD3&4), The Return Volume 1: Nightfall (2009)

The Secret Circle (1992): The Initiation, The Captive, The Power (Reprints: The Initiation and The Captive Part I and The Captive Part II and The Power)

The Forbidden Game (1994): The Hunter, The Chase, The Kill

Dark Visions (1994-1995): The Strange Power, The Possessed, The Passion

Night World (1996-1998): Secret Vampire #1, Daughters of Darkness #2, Spellbinder #3, Dark Angel #4, The Chosen #5, Soulmate #6, Huntress #7, Black Dawn #8, Witchlight #9 (Reprints: NW123, NW456, NW789)

This was my first fandom, and is therefore near and dear to my heart. Here are some links:
L.J. Smith's Official Site: http://www.ljanesmith.net/index.php
Circle Daybreak (this site has been running since 1997!): http://www.nightworld.net/

Does anyone else remember this author? Or have you found her more recently? My favorites were the Night World series and the Dark Visions trilogy. I recently re-read the Vampire Diaries, and it still holds up. I still remembered why I loved her writing so much. I can't wait to re-read the first two Night World books for the reading challenge.

message 2: by Bird (new)

Bird (thebird) Well hello again Alexis! Fancy meeting you here! :O)

Have you read all of her books at one point? I believe I've read them all but Solstice. I think my favorite was the Secret Circle Trilogy. I never got into the Vampire Diaries when I was younger. Something about vampires has always freaked me out a bit for some reason (why that as opposed to anything else, I have no idea).

What do you think of her recurring theme of soulmates? (And doesn't she write such wonderful male characters?)

message 3: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) Hi again, Bird!

I've read all of them except Nightfall and Heart of Valor, I think. I don't know that I ever finished Night of the Solstice. I got them on eBay. I read on her blog that she'll be doing something new with the Secret Circle, so keep an eye out for that.

I really liked her idea of soulmates. I've come across that theme in other books but I think her description and the way she has it play out works well for the stories. She had some great guys, and some awesome female characters, too. Great character development, and pretty believable considering the settings and situations. I think my favorite of all of her books is Daughters of Darkness.