Quotable Quotes discussion

Oscar Wilde Quote

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Elizabeth | 61 comments Mod
Either that wallpaper goes or I do.
--Oscar Wilde, dying in a Paris bedroom

message 2: by Blanca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Blanca | 6 comments We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -- Oscar Wilde, Lady Windemere's Fan, Act III.

message 3: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Elizabeth | 61 comments Mod
"Paradoxically though it may seem, it is none the less true that life imitates art far more than art imitates life."
--Oscar Wilde

message 4: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.
Oscar Wilde

message 5: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde

message 6: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

message 7: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability.
Oscar Wilde

message 8: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
Oscar Wilde

message 9: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Alison I love this quote. It has been rationalization of much over-spending on my part.

message 10: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Héctor This is the best quote: "If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."

Oscar Wilde

message 11: by Jen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Jen | 6 comments "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train."

message 12: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Doina | 8 comments "One can survive everything, nowadays, except death, and live down everything except a good reputation."

"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."

"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."

Oscar Wilde

Very hard to limit myself to just 3 of my favorite quotes from him.

message 13: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Doina | 8 comments Have to add one more:

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months."

Oscar Wilde

message 14: by Karey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) "I have many beautiful flowers," he said; "but the children are the most beautiful flowers of all."

~~Oscar Wilde, The Selfish Giant

message 15: by Karey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) "Still, in the very fact that people will recognise me wherever I go, and know all about my life, as far as its follies go, I can discern something good for me."

"If I can produce only one beautiful work of art I shall be able to rob malice of its venom, and cowardice its sneer, and to pluck out the tongue of scorn by the roots."

~~Oscar Wilde, De Profundis

message 16: by splendidus (new)

splendidus | 8 comments "It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth."

message 17: by splendidus (new)

splendidus | 8 comments "I have the gravest doubts upon the subject. But I intend to crush them. This is not the moment for German scepticism."