Harry Potter discussion

FanFiction & Other Series > Harry Potter Should've Died!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 359 comments Mugglenet.com is producing another new book- Harry Potter Should've Died. OMG! It comes out June 1st! How many people woul buy this?...i would, just to see their arguements about Harry's death.

message 2: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments i am buying that book. i hated harry. :D

message 3: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments ill probably buy it too, but im glad he didnt die!

message 4: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments well, it would've sucked if he'd actually died i spose... but i still hated him :P

message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments haha why?!?

message 6: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments i dunno, for some reason e seemed... dumbish. i typically don't like main characters as much as others..... *shrugz*

message 7: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 333 comments I'll buy it, but he CAN'T DIE!

message 8: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments jeeves wrote: "i dunno, for some reason e seemed... dumbish. i typically don't like main characters as much as others..... *shrugz*"

Oh haha! Ya I usually like other characters better but I still didn't want him to die!

message 9: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 359 comments I hate it when the main character dies! I cry my eyes out! And besides, if Harry was overly smart, he wouldn't have a flaw, he'd be perfect. It's not very interesting reading about someone who knows everything.

message 10: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofiakennedy) I don't know... My sister made cookies to bring to a midnight party for the Harry Potter 7 release. They said 'Live' or 'Die.' You'd eat which one you'd think Harry would do... Most people picked 'die.' I was SO convinced that Harry would die in the 7th book, but he didn't, which shocked me...

message 11: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 359 comments I was really shocked when Fred died. He's a minor character, only in the books for comic relief! I was surprised how it all worked out in the end though.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

WHY DID HEDWIG DIE!?!?!!!!!! That one made me cry. These are the ones that brought waterworks:
Tonks! WHY!?!!?!
Lupin!! Again, WHY?!?!!
Fred! NOOOOOOO! HE WAS SO AWESOME!!
Hedwig!!! WTF?!?! Why!? I mean seriously, what does it add?
And most importantly, DOBBY!!! WHY, OH, WHY!?!?!

message 13: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments Sarah wrote: "WHY DID HEDWIG DIE!?!?!!!!!! That one made me cry. These are the ones that brought waterworks:
Tonks! WHY!?!!?!
Lupin!! Again, WHY?!?!!
Fred! NOOOOOOO! HE WAS SO AWESOME!!
Hedwig!!! WTF?!?! Wh..."

I hated when all of them died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially fred and dobby! I loved them! But u need to be able to sacrifice some good characters iguess when ur a writer :/

message 14: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 359 comments That's true. But Harry?! I talked to one of the english teachers at my school and I understand why Dumbledore died but Harry? That was different...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Harry didn't die. Ur getting confused from the previous comments....

message 16: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 359 comments Oh sorry. I'm supposed to be studying for a really stupid test that's about half my grade...

message 17: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 333 comments :D Anyway, I was really happy when he didn't die.

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (ioanasaunt) | 63 comments What?! Is this true? I'll buy it. But I also don't want him to die. I don't hate him. He's actually better than the other main characters SOMEWHERE . . .

Sarah - For me, it also remains a mystery to why Hedwig, Tonks, Lupin and Fred died. But Dobby, I have a guess. It would be humdrum if he didn't die. Just come to think of it, with Dobby at Harry's side - no challenge. Dobby could've performed the most challenging part on the Horcrux's hunt.

message 19: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 359 comments You make a good point Joanne. I hadn't thought of that.

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited May 07, 2009 02:26PM) (new)

Me neither. But why Hedwig?!?!!? She was so sweet, and I'm starting to think J.K. Rowling has some.....issues.

And I mean 'issues'......

message 21: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) How so? I think it takes a lot of courage to kill off your characters when you are that emotionally attached to them because the story called for it. You can't expect Harry to bring his friends into this battle with the darkest wizard of all times and all of them walk away unscathed. It made me sad when certain characters died (Tonks, Lupin, Dobby, Snape, Fred, MadEye, ok most of the people who died), but I'd rather the story be believable.
I know a lot of people who wanted Harry to die and personally I think she satisfied the need to kill Harry without having to kill him.

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (beatrixkiddo) | 63 comments JKR said that she killed Hedwig because she was the last thing that tied Harry to his childhood. Meaning: he had to grow up, to be more mature in order he could perform the incredibly difficult task he had ahead. JKR said that in an interview for the site of Bloomsbury.

As for Fred, Lupin and Tonks...she said they were.. I don't know how to say this in english, but it'd be "bajas de guerra": every war implies tragedy, and the Weasleys were too many not to suffer any death.

Mad-Eye and Dobby... I agree with Joanne they were killed to allow Harry to prove himself. During the whole saga he had help from many other characters... it was about time for him to do something right on his own.

Snape :'( I will cry over him forever!!! But as I said in other discussion, he had to die for literary reasons. He was too bittersweet to continue alive, and most of all, he still couldn't forgive himself for his past mistakes... an unbearable guilt that will follow him to the grave =( I only regret the way he died... it was awful!! He didn't deserve that =( I would have prefer Avada Kedavra, but I suppose if he had died that way he wouldn't have had time to give Harry his memories. Anyway... what is done, is done =(

message 23: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (ioanasaunt) | 63 comments Very well said Annalisa and Courtney. And thanks for the infos Beatrix. At least it was proven that J.K. Rowling has satisfactory reasons to why they died.

message 24: by Meghana (new)

Meghana | 1 comments aw...its okay...

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

why did dobby die?? *sniff sniff*

message 26: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments when dobby died it was soooooo sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that movie is gonna be sad the whole thing through!

message 27: by Oerba Yun Fang (new)

Oerba Yun Fang (oerbayunfang) | 2 comments I"M SO EXCITED FOR THE MOVIE!

message 28: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 333 comments ME TOO! I CAN'T WAIT!

message 29: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments me toooo!!!!!!!!!!! im goin to th midnight one for the first time! i also cant wait for the theme parkk!!

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (raraclarkgmailcom) | 8 comments I know did you know that they are going to make it into 2 movies. I think that the cliffhanger will be when Ron leaves (idiot).

message 31: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments **SPOILER**
Yeah I thought that too!!!! But I also thought maybe when he comes back, it kinda depends on how much time the spend on the final fight at hogwarts...

message 32: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 333 comments Yeah,they have to make the Battle really detailed. So maybe they'll stop at Ron.

message 33: by Aneri (last edited Jul 08, 2009 01:59PM) (new)

Aneri | 186 comments im sooo getting that. (even though i dont think he should've died)

message 34: by TulahF (new)

TulahF i mean it would have been interesting if Harry died, yet since i like ginny so much i would feel bad for her if harry died. :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I was so sure Harry was going to die...and he didn't! I was shocked, actually. I thought something like he and Voldemort would kill each other at the same time or something. That'd would've been cool. I (and this is my opinion so don't get mad at me) personally like it when a main character dies. You see, you build up the character, make the audience love him, and kill 'em off! That's intensity, and shock, and it adds a twisted plot, which I love. I'm not one for happy endings. But hey, that's just me. :)

message 36: by TulahF (new)

TulahF yeah same!!! i kinda wished he would die, just so it would piss people off!

Love (#1 BEATLES FAN IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE) (Pauls1fan) | 117 comments i like how JK ended it, with him kinda dieing but then coming back

only i wish that he talked to Dumbledore more and that he looked that screaming baby bat thingy in heaven or whereever that was! that wouldve been cooL!

message 38: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 4 comments I was so sure he was going to die!!! I thought he would defeat Voldemort, but die after that because he wasw out of strength or something. My sis and I thought he would, but our friend insisted that Harry would never die ever. He was right, but I'm glad he was. I would have been a mess if Harry died. What would have happened then? I guess we'll never know...

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

An alternate ending: What would've happened if Harry Potter had died?

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) back to the original idea of this thread... the book Harry Potter Should Have Died was interesting. The authors presented the for and against arguements for each question and a very brief verdict for which they think is correct. I bought it to read about should Harry have died, was the epilogue a letdown, should JKR have revealed Dumbledore as gay? but also realize the authors included debates on wether you'd rather shave Hagrid's back or give Voldy a foot massage and would you rather make out with Voldy or a Dementor?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't like happy endings, and I hated the ending to Harry Potter. It would've been SO COOL if he died. But no, he defeats Voldy, gets married to Ginny, and everything is La-Di-Da. I'm surprised they didn't break out into song.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

but he does kinda die

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Meh. He should've stayed dead. >:)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) There are about 50 questions in the book, debated on both sides. It's interesting.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! Here-here! I agree with Uma! *Applause*

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments I'm glad he didn't die, personally. He was not my favorite character--not even close to the top of my list--, but I would've been upset if he'd died. I've never had a main character be my favorite character, ever.

I want this book! It sounds so interesting.

I'm really happy that Harry and Ginny married, and that Harry finally has a family. The ending of a story (usually) doesn't matter to me very much. I like both happy and sad endings, along with bizarre mixes of the two.

Was no one upset over the fact that Colin Creevey, the camera kid, died? I get that he was a very, very minor character, but I never heard anyone mention his death.

message 48: by Jenn (last edited Aug 04, 2009 01:39PM) (new)

Jenn (thebiracialbookdragon) | 42 comments Before I read the book I really thought there was a high chance that he might die. I think he should have perhaps maybe gotten a serious wound like a permant limp or something.

I was sad about Colin I liked him. I think his death was overshadow though by Lupin, Tonks and Fred and its understandalbe since Harry was close to them.

message 49: by RinaKat (new)

RinaKat | 480 comments At least Ol' Voldy is dead.

"We did it we bashed them, wee Potty's the one
and ol' Voldy's gone moldy, so let's all have fun!"

I am sad for Tonks and Lupin and Dobby and Fred and all other friends of Harry died. for a little there, I was a little bit sorry for Malfoy (believe it or not) that one of his best friends died.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) i think it would be extremely *weird* for the main titular character to die... what in the world?!?!?! there's only one series i can think of off the top of my head when the main series character dies @ the end; i havent read it, but my cousins and brother have and they were just really annoyed by that ending. i mean for goodness sake, how could the main character die? that would be so entirely morbid!

« previous 1