Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Good books for 12 to 14 year olds..?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms Piot (last edited May 05, 2009 01:18PM) (new)

Ms Piot (litcebrarian) I'm basically a business librarian who detoured into a reference public librarian in the 90s, and then spent 10 years as an electronic media librarian working in a high school setting - and now I am in Africa, currently working with k-12 English speaking school, and looking for help suggesting books for the younger kids...any one interested in joining my students' groups to help me make some suggestions for them? Thanks a lot!

message 2: by Cait (last edited May 05, 2009 01:23PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Kim, this is a group for Goodreads volunteers -- we're called "librarians", but we're not (necessarily) professional librarians. You should keep searching the groups, because I'm sure there are groups around for children's librarians....

message 3: by Ms Piot (new)

Ms Piot (litcebrarian) Marco wrote: "Kim, although Cait is right in saying that this isn't the appropriate group to send this message, there are a few series which are good for 12-14 years olds. I'm a librarian in a school for 11-14. ..."

Thanks, that's helpful. If you know of any other groups I should join, can you pass that my way as well? Really appreciate it!

message 4: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2 comments I love this one:
The Bartimaeus Trilogy Boxed Set
My fave children/preteen fantasy books after the Harry Potter series.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited May 06, 2009 02:13AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Kim, There's a lot of groups here that would help you more than this one. In addition to the one Marco mentioned another one that comes to mind is Best Teen Books:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

and Children's books:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

There are so many others. You can do a search in groups using keywords in which you have interest.

It will be better if you start threads in those other, non-official, groups.

Thanks.

message 6: by Kathrynn (last edited May 06, 2009 03:15AM) (new)

Kathrynn | 189 comments I had the same problem finding books for that age group. What I did was post a few questions in groups I was active in--created an off topic folder--and was amazed at the recommendations that I received.

I'll private message (PM) you a link to a group where we talked about this and got quite a few suggestions.

Good luck to you! :-)

message 7: by Kathrynn (last edited May 06, 2009 03:37AM) (new)

Kathrynn | 189 comments Wow. May want to check out this group. It looks fairly new and well organized. One thing that turned me off of some of the young adult groups was that they were full of...young adults. :-( The group link here looks well controlled from both immature posting and authors plugging their books.