Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1) Bridget Jones's Diary discussion

Suggestions for next book?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristin Hi all! I just joined GoodReads last night and I can't seem to get off this website. I'm hoping my like-minded readers on this site can be of some help: I'm having the hardest time deciding what to read after recently finishing the "Twilight" series (which I loved and am sad to be through with). Any suggestions?

If you look at my Bookshelf, you'll see I lean towards the classics over modern fiction, and tend to prefer period literature. But I have read my share of Chick Lit and Oprah choices, too. I feel I could use something light-hearted, but I don't want to mess with my upcoming Summer Beach reads (on the slate for summer 2009 are Pride and Prejudice - finally, Confessions of a Shopaholic, and the Time Traveler's Wife). I adore Wally Lamb and am looking forward to his newest, as well as the Pillars of the Earth sequel World Without End.

All of these possibilites, and yet I can't commit!! Help me please. I just need to stop thinking of the Cullen's and move on with my reading adventures!! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.
- Kristin

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate I see you've already got Phillipa Gregory - so I had to start my comment again! Try Katherine, which is a brilliant romantic and historical novel. Also my personal faves are the Farseer Trilogy Assassin's Apprentice - ignore the fantasy guff on the back, they are brilliant books that I got completely sucked into and was dreaming about the characters. Sad but true.
My favourite period book is Jude the Obscure but it's really depressing so watch out for that. I also liked Vanity Fair. Maybe you've already read them!
Anyway if you read any of these let me know what you think!

Kristin Hi Kate - thank you so much for your suggestions. I revisited the Phillipa Gregory idea because I so loved "Other Boleyn Girl." Even though I'd crossed her off for awhile, I actually think I'm going to start "Boleyn Inheritance" - I need something intriguing and dreamy and over-the-top! I am definitely noting your suggestions on my list and will look them up at the library today. VERY nice of you to write! Happy reading!

Kate wrote: "I see you've already got Phillipa Gregory - so I had to start my comment again! Try Katherine, which is a brilliant romantic and historical novel. Also my personal faves are the Farsee..."

Poppy Fields Kristin wrote: "Hi Kate - thank you so much for your suggestions. I revisited the Phillipa Gregory idea because I so loved "Other Boleyn Girl." Even though I'd crossed her off for awhile, I actually think I'm goin..."

Kristin wrote: "Hi all! I just joined GoodReads last night and I can't seem to get off this website. I'm hoping my like-minded readers on this site can be of some help: I'm having the hardest time deciding what to..."

I just finished The Time Travelers wife and I am so sad that it is over. A brilliant book. Get started with it and you won't be dissapointed!

message 5: by Afsana (last edited May 11, 2009 01:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Afsana Kristin wrote: "Hi all! I just joined GoodReads last night and I can't seem to get off this website. I'm hoping my like-minded readers on this site can be of some help: I'm having the hardest time deciding what to..."

I was going to say you should try harry potter as there is a discussions going re harry potter v twighlight but I can see you have read one of the series

You should try George orwell 1984 book:1984|5470] and animal farm

and you should definatly try Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini- The Kite Runner

Agnes (BookBubbe) Ah, so many books; so little time....I finally picked up The Help and cant put it down, but if you want something light to read, and quick, try
The Friend Request especially if you are into Facebook....Happy Reading....I blog about my book reviews in case you are interested in others I have read....
http://beaderbubbe.blogspot.com/p/boo...

message 7: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea Hi,
I am also a Twilight fan, have read them loads..... Phillipa Gregorys books are brilliant. I have read them all and loved them all except for the 1st one, which if my memory serves me right is called the Constant Princess... i found this one really dragged. The rest were great.
I would recommend the Hunger Games - which are YA but i loved them all (im 40).
The book Thief is an excellent book, Afsana is on the right road with the Kite Runner, also a Slendid Thousand Suns, also, We need to Talk about Kevin... i found the 1st quarter of this book to really tough going, but if you can keep with it, its just brilliant.
Water for Elephants was also a really good read.
Im sure i could give you many more, but ive gone blank !!!!
Happy reading

Ashley31 Try Eleanor Prescott's 'Alice Brown's Guide to the curious art of dating'. I loved it.

Also recommend 'Secrets of a slummy mummy' by Fiona O'Neil

Paul Time Was by Paul Adams
Time Was
For a rather racier version of Bridget Jones......

message 10: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea Canon wait for October....

Samantha Chapman Try When All Else Fails by LJ Burnley, you wont be able to put it down, give it a try you will be glad you did.Cant miss it with the red rose on the cover.

When All Else Fails

message 12: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn Triola Hopeless by Coleen Hoover