Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Shoot Em Up

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I just have to say that I was extremely disappointed with this movie. I am still in shock at how bad it was. I LOVE the blow everyone up, shoot your way out of the building, run from the bad guys kind of movie, but this was a joke. Every bit of dialogue was so completely stupid. It was one long movie of bad one liners. I can't help wonder what Clive Owen was thinking when he accepted this role. I'm interested to see if anyone else has seen this. If you have, then let me just say I'm sorry that you, too, wasted the hour and half you spent watching it like I did.

message 2: by Lilias (new)

Lilias I was really excited about it when I saw the previews because I love Clive Owen & Monica Bellucci as well as shoot em up-type movies. But it completely bombed at the theaters; so I figured it wasn't great since it's the type of movie that usually does well. I'll probably still rent it.

message 3: by Arctic (new)

Arctic just watched this tonight and actually liked it. the guy does amazing things with a carrot. i thought it was a quirky and fun movie.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) Melissa, I want that hour and a half of my precious life back, too!

I love Clive Owen and over-the-top wham! bam! action movies however implausible they might be, but this movie stinks to heaven. The dialogue wasn't funny, the action was absurd, and I kept cringing the whole time whenever the "baby" was grabbed, pulled, pushed, and dropped in the scenes.

Obviously I'll watch Clive in anything since I saw this movie and Derailed. Blech.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth I sort of liked it, too. They seemed to be going for just one long sick joke. It did get to be a little grating at times, but Clive Owen is so watchable. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but those with the highest tolerance for sick humor.

message 6: by Arctic (new)

Arctic "those with the highest tolerance for sick humor." LOL yep that'd be me.

I think it was intended more as a parody of shoot em up films than anything else, very much all done tongue in cheek style. What'd you think of Paul Giamatti as the evil bad guy? That alone is pretty funny casting.

As for Clive Owen, this film had me thinking of his role in Sin City quite a bit for some reason. It's also a violent tongue in cheek kind of film in many ways.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth Yeah, Arctic, just the whole thing with the "lactating hooker" character. I mean, talk about taboos. I am one of those people who can pretty much laugh at anything, but I can only think of a handful of people who could have stomached that. My husband and I talked about it after the movie was over, and we laughed about our high tolerance for offensive material. It is kind of funny, but do you know that scene in the South Park movie with Satan and Saddam Hussein in bed together? For some strange reason, I just cannot stomach that, but I can laugh at just about anything else.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Admittedly, Paul Giamatti is not one of my favorite actors. I actually can't stand him at all (except maybe in Lady in the Water) so I was really disappointed to see him in the co-star role of this movie. Beth - I totally agree with you about the hooker (as well as the South Park movie scene). It was toeing a line and crossed it a few times. I think the worst part though, is that clearly I can't stop thinking about this stupid movie.