Speaker Geeks! discussion

Debates Regarding Youth > Should parents be required to take parenting classes?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddison (new)

Maddison (Brainyboots) | 463 comments First time parents yes. Maybe 4 sessions involving just the usual criteria

message 2: by T.J. (new)

T.J. No, they shouldn't. I do not want to have to take freaking classes to have a kid. As a woman, it is my right. I already have a maternal instinct, I won't take classes to help me with that. Bad parents are bad parents not because of this, but because they lack certain traits needed to parent properly that one cannot gain in mandatory classes.

message 3: by Maddison (new)

Maddison (Brainyboots) | 463 comments Well I honestly don't know what that entails

message 4: by T.J. (new)

T.J. You can make them OPTIONAL for new mothers. THAT would be a good idea. But forcing people to? I do not think so.

message 5: by Maddison (new)

Maddison (Brainyboots) | 463 comments T.J. wrote: "You can make them OPTIONAL for new mothers. THAT would be a good idea. But forcing people to? I do not think so."

True.

message 6: by Faye (new)

Faye (asdfayeiouvwxyz) | 269 comments Haha! Well hmm, maybe for new parents.

message 7: by Jake (last edited Jul 09, 2013 11:27AM) (new)

Jake | 92 comments I think new parents should have to. I don't think the "I have a right not to" argument applies here, because we can't tell who's going to be a good parent and who's not. Besides, what's the worst that can happen? You don't learn anything? It's not like you're taking some kind of risk.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I think there should be like a test. If you pass the test with a certain score or higher, you are good. If you don't, they should take some classes. I don't think the classes should be forced though. I know I'm the oldest of 5. I'm one of 40 grandkids on my mom's side. I'm great with babies. It just depends on who you are.

message 9: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
But you can pass a test, take a class, etc. and STILL not care. It doesn't matter how many classes someone takes, if they don't want to adhere to the material taught, they won't.

message 10: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
Exactly. It's easy to fake being a good parent when it's needed, so, while they're a good idea in theory, I don't know what that required parenting classes would do much good. Maybe optional classes?

message 11: by T.J. (last edited Jul 15, 2013 05:33PM) (new)

T.J. I still don't think so. I KNOW I am going to be a good mother. I have no desire to be forced to prove it to other people. I mean this is the land of the FREE, correct? Or is it only FREE with mandatory classes before you have a child?

message 12: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
Agreed.