Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments Yes! I really liked most of the Harry Potter's and I also like the old classics like Mary Poppins and The Swiss Family Robinson. I find that a lot of the films my 8 year old picks out I really don't care for, such as Beverly Hills Chihuahuas. I tried watching The Tale of Despereaux with him but I was so tired I fell asleep, so I don't know if it was any good.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (mrsfun) | 89 comments ME!ME! (hand waving) I'm a movie buff. That includes YA/children's movies. Of course the book is (almost) always better but the film is a fun way to see how someone else interprets it. We watched Dreamer again on Saturday... in honor of the Kentucky Derby run. I enjoy most of Disney & Dreamworks films. Not all, but most. Oh, and I love to watch Hallmark movies.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

My husband and I love disney. My favorite movie just happens to be Aladdin. I also loved Cars, what a cute movie! Those two I can watch over and over again.

message 4: by Alexis (last edited May 04, 2009 06:27PM) (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) Fiona wrote: "We have to have a film topic. Anyway, to start off...

Are you as much of a YA film fan or children's film fan as you are a book fan?"

I was hoping someone would start a topic like this! About books to movies or YA film. I do like kids movies, both live action and animated. I'm studying animation right now so I have even more appreciation for them.

message 5: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments I love Disney! I love it so much that I went to DisneyWorld during Spring Break instead of some party destination like Daytona beach. I feel like anything is possible and the world is my oyster after watching a disney movie. I also felt like that while I was in Disney.

message 6: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) Disney World is way better than some crowded beach. I haven't been there in a long time, but I did have a Disneyland annual pass a couple years ago, even though in live in New York. Yeah, I went that many times.

Which are your favorite Disney movies? (Not counting Pixar.)

message 7: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments Animated: The Lion King (great story/made me cry) & A Goofy Movie (great music)
Non-animated: Newsies (because who doesn't love a pre-Batman singing, dancing Christian Bale) & Heavyweights (I eat success for breakfast)

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 120 comments Okay so I have a really pathetic confession... my whole life, I have been told I don't have an imagination. Even when I was a little kid, I couldn't stand Disney movies (I couldn't handle the fact that animals talked in them... animals don't talk).

But i do love Mary Poppins... even if it is totally unbelievable. Not a big fan of the HP movies, but that is because I love the books too much.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

My husband and I had an annual pass to LA's Disneyland last year and went 8 times during the year! Mostly just weekend trips, but it was so much fun! We will do it again for sure.

Newsies is one of the best movies ever! When I first met my husband he used to watch that movie every day! Haha... great stuff.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jlr_photography) | 8 comments Definately depends on the film but I do love alot of them, especially the old Disney cartoons.
Some of my favourite are: Bambi, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Homeward Bound

message 11: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) My favorite Disney animated movies are Sleeping Beauty and Aladdin, but there are so many more that I love.

message 12: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments Aside from disney, if we go along with Young-Adult type films, does anyone else here like films such as 10 Things I Hate About You or the original Bring It On? I love those movies because they are teen movies and I could definately somewhat relate to them in high school.

message 13: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) Clueless is my all-time favorite movie. I love teen flicks.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah... teen movies are always fun to watch. Especially when I need some cheering up! :)

message 15: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments Alexis wrote: "Clueless is my all-time favorite movie. I love teen flicks. "

You know, I really enjoy the movie Clueless, and I've always wanted to read Emma by Jane Austen, because I've heard Clueless is a modern day adaptation of it.

message 16: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) April wrote: You know, I really enjoy the movie Clueless, and I've always wanted to read Emma by Jane Austen, becaus..."

It is. I love Clueless and Jane Austen but I've had Emma sitting on my bookshelf for a long time. The reason is that it's got a 60 page introduction, which is daunting, and I make myself read the intros to Austen.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan (mrsfun) | 89 comments 80s teen movies rule~
Breakfast Club
St. Elmo's Fire
Pretty in Pink
Sixteen Candles
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

message 18: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 274 comments Ferris Bueller! One of my favorites! "Anyone? Anyone?" :)

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie April and Alexis - I've always loved Clueless too, but it was a distraction when I read Emma. I was constantly thinking about the similarities between the two and picturing the Clueless characters as I read, which was strange (as I'm sure you could imagine). I ended up enjoying the book, but it would have been ideal if I'd read Emma first.

message 20: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) Too late. I've got most of Clueless memorized. (Why am I admitting that?) But I love Jane Austen. Your comment has me picturing Cher speaking like a Regency lady now, which must have been how it was for you. :)

message 21: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments To add to your list Susan, one of my all time favorite 80s teen movies is Say Anything. John Cusak and the boom box gets me every time.
And Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a classic, especially when staying home sick or just skipping out on classes.

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments You're right, Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a classic. My husband and I love it and so do our kids.

message 23: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) I sing the song from Ferris Bueller to a little boy I babysit and he loves it. He tries to make the sounds with me. "chicka chicka"

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Alexis wrote: "Too late. I've got most of Clueless memorized. (Why am I admitting that?) But I love Jane Austen. Your comment has me picturing Cher speaking like a Regency lady now, which must have been how it wa..."

Exactly. Strange to imagine Emma saying "As if!"

message 25: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) My favorite Disney movie is Beauty and the Beast. I just saw 17Again and absolutly loved that one too. :~)

message 26: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) My favorite Disney movies are The Lion King and The Beauty and the Beast. Plus, I'm a complete sucker for the music.

message 27: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) I LOVE Disney music. I miss the way they used to make their movies.

message 28: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments Alexis wrote: "I LOVE Disney music. I miss the way they used to make their movies."

Disney music is the best! Alan Meneken for the win!
What is your favorite Disney song? I'm partial to Carrying The Banner from Newsies and Stand Out from A Goofy Movie

message 29: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) Stand Out is up there, but I love Once Upon a Dream and Part of Your World. And just about all the music from Aladdin. Now that I'm thinking about it, there are so many that I like!

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments I love Disney as well, I can't wait to get all of my DVD's from my sister's house when I go back to San Diego and I will for sure be taking a trip to D-land)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I have all the Disney CDs in my car and love the songs. The real songs from the movies, not the disney radio or the remade songs. I was listening to my newest recently and found I really enjoyed Ursula's song Poor Unfortunate Souls... it's hilarious! I also like all the songs from Tarzan and Alladin. :)

April, the songs from Newsies are amazing as well! I will have to get that soundtrack.

message 32: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) Jennifer wrote: "I love Disney as well, I can't wait to get all of my DVD's from my sister's house when I go back to San Diego and I will for sure be taking a trip to D-land)"

I miss San Diego. I used to go a few times a year but I've been taking summer classes so I haven't been since 2007.

Has anyone been to the Aladdin show at California Adventure? I love it.

Linda Grace wrote: "I was listening to my newest recently and found I really enjoyed Ursula's song Poor Unfortunate Souls... it's hilarious!"

I love that song! Ursula is one of the great Disney villainesses. (Although Maleficent is #1!)

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments Yes Alexis I have seen the Aladdin show many many many times...every time I went which was like every month or every other month...my friends and I were d-land addicts, so we were there quite often...the genie was so funny...it never got old : )

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan (mrsfun) | 89 comments OK...here are a few more:

Princess Bride
Willow
Labyrinth
Never Ending Story

Comments?

message 35: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 274 comments "Ursula is one of the great Disney villainesses. (Although Maleficent is #1!) "

I always liked Cruella de Vil.

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments Susan wrote: "OK...here are a few more:

Princess Bride
Willow
Labyrinth
Never Ending Story

Comments?
"

Those are all of my older sister's fave movies...we usually spent christmas day, new years day watching them as adults after we were all in a food coma

message 37: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Princess Bride and Labyrinth are among my top 10 movies ever. I like the others as well, but there's just something about those two. I had such a crush, not on David Bowie, but on Jareth. I've said it before-I WOULD have eaten that peach!!! No problemo.

message 38: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I've been dying lately to read The Neverending Story and rewatch the movies. I keep on seeing the book at Borders and have avoided it.

I did break down and buy the first book in Maria Snyder's series - Poison Study, so I have no excuse not to reread that one before I finally finish the trilogy.

message 39: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
I love YA movies, animated or not. I love those teen movies! Cluless was great. 10 Things I Hate About You is fabulous-I miss Heath :( It also was a remake of Taming of the Shrew! Hehe, anytime you can sneak Shakespeare past a teenager, you're doing all right.
Lion King is for sure my favorite animated movie. When I was a kid I also used to love The Last Unicorn and The Secret of NIMH (oh, who am I kidding, I still love them!)