Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Sunshine

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 1 comments
Danny Boyle's latest, Sunshine, left me feeling nearly as unsettled as 2001: A Space Odyssey -- which is a good thing. In my opinion a sci-fi has not done its job if you don't fall into bed feeling like you're at the tail end of an all-night acid trip. My only complaint is that I could have done without the Captain Pinbacker sci-fi-turned-b-horror plotline entirely. However, the cold vacuum of space wasn't the only thing that took my breath away; stunning visuals, combined with the opportunity to watch Cillian Murphy for nearly two hours, peppered with a swell performance from the ever-talented Michelle Yeoh makes up the the plot blunder completely -- well, almost.

message 2: by Joy (new)

Joy | 8 comments I LOVED this movie! Suspenseful and visually stunning.

message 3: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) my daughter and I just finished watching this last night. unsettling as fuck, indeed. I'm still trying to figure out what was happening in the last third of the film. so many questions!!! it's a film I'll come back to again I'm certain. gorgeous visuals... and philosophically complex enough to rewatch many times. I'm officially a huge Danny Boyle fan now. This is in my top five sci-fi films of all time now. EXCELLENT!!!

message 4: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I just watched this tonight. Excellent film. Stunning, eerie, and had me hiding my eyes in my husband's shoulder in places. There seemed to be little nods to 2001, Solaris and Alien in it, but it was also very much its own film. One that will definitely stay with me.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (jpaulduncan) | 68 comments I thought this movie was amazingly great. I was disappointed that it ended up being basically a ghost story, but the visuals and some of the "science" was fun to watch.

Even with the relatively unknown cast, I thought they were marvelous.

message 6: by Kayli 500 (new)

Kayli 500 this was so good of a movie. I like movies when they kind of warn you the future so that you do something helpful so it doesn't happen. why would anyone want to go to the sun? You would get burned. it was because they were going to restart it. if you wake up and it's a beautiful day, you know we made it. that's a good lesson but when you wake up good chances it will be sunny already.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 58 comments I got to see this on the big screen - incredible visuals and great performances.