The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1) The Shunning discussion

Has any one read this book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sarah This is a very good book!

Magma I like this book trilogy more then the Annie's people trilogy. probably because of the decisions the main couple makes at the end. :D

message 3: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Magma, you mean the original "couple" actually re-connect? Maybe I should continue reading this series ...

Martha I liked the book. I'll be reading the rest of the series after I can find them & buy them. After I have a little spending money for books, too. LOL

Lynette Norton I loved "The Shunning" and the two others that followed. These were the first of the many Beverly Lewis books I have read and loved every one of them. You're learning about the Amish through historical fiction and after reading all of her books I took a trip to Lancaster Co., PA. Oh what beautiful countryside. Everything was just as she wrote. I felt as if I had already been there because I had already seen everything in my mind's eye. I made sure to go to all the places she mentioned in each one of her series, including "The sunroom" which tells about when her mom was in the hospital. So of course I had to go and see the hospital too. What a fun trip, we will go again.

Camille I read this book and loved it! :)

Barbara Does everyone have their recorders set up to catch the movie version coming up on 4/16?

message 8: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty I don't think I rated this book as I was not on Goodreads when I started reading Beverly Lewis but YES it is great and she is a great author.

Janet I enjoyed this book!

Dara S. I read this whole series. I liked it. My favorite series by Beverly Lewis is Abram's Daughters. I loved it.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan I did not read this, but I saw that the movie was going to be on the Hallmark Channel this weekend(4/16/11. It looks really good

Sistahsunited Bookclub I read the book and saw the movie. I loved both of them.

message 13: by Joy (new)

Joy I enjoyed this book, learnt a little more about the beliefs of the Amish. Which seems to be true as it agrees with other Amish stories I've read about their 'Laws'. I'm now reading the third book in this series and have enjoyed each book thus far. Beverly Lewis is a wonderful author. :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 07, 2011 09:22AM) (new)

I've read all of Beverly Lewis' books. Loved them all!!!

Kathy This is a great book!

message 16: by Beth (last edited Jul 18, 2011 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth I just read this book & the two that follow it (The Confession & The Shunning). In fact, I read them all in less than a week....great reading!!

I also have "October Sun" which picks up after Katie & Daniel's marriage. However, looking @ Beverly Lewis' website I'm wondering if "The Postcard & The Crossroad" are to be read first?

Has anyone read these & can give me some insight on their reading order? Thank you in advance~Beth

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I read The Postcard & The Crossroad b/f October Sun.

Lynette Norton I read The Postcard & The Crossroad b/f The Shunning, The Confession & The Reckoning in that order. They are all relations somehow. lol I don't think it really matters as long as you're following what's going on. Personally October Sun. wasn't one of my fav. and I love all of Beverly Lewis' work. I like to read the whole book rather than the short stories that I'll forget by the time I get back into the series.
Enjoy

message 19: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev It's been forever since I read the series...it was actually the first Amish series I ever read. We saw a play based on the series last fall in Shipshewana, IN...very good musical.

Irene I love this book and the 2nd one that follows this one. I haven't read the 3rd one yet, but I already have it. Great series!!

Bonnie Colvert I read this series quite awhile back, but it was fantastic! Love Beverly Lewis. Lori Wick is also good.

Donna Boddy Yes. It was great. It was the first of many of Beverly Lewis' books I have read.

Kathy Once you start reading Beverly Lewis' books your hooked!

Donna Boddy Yes. I have. IT was the first book I had read by Beverly Lewis. I enjoyed it, and, of course, had to read the sequel right away.

message 25: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Yes, I enjoyed the series...I got some of the books from thrift stores and others from a friend...I should pass those on..

Donna Boddy Yes, I have and loved it. You will want to read the complete series though.

Kelly Stokes I also read the complete series...and I loved it!! I think it is the best series by Beverly Lewis!

Sharon I read this book and totally enjoyed it. I didn't know about the movie, I would love to see it!

Dianne Hydock Yes and I loved it! I really love all of Beverly Lewis's books!

message 30: by Kristine (new) - added it

Kristine Victoria Yes, I have read almost all the books, and they are excellent.

Linda Yes, I loved it. I love all of Beverly Lewis's books.

message 32: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy Larson Very good book, but then all of Beverly Lewis's books are good!!!

message 33: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb Yes I have read this book along with the whole series and Beverly Lewis is my favorite Amish author!!! The movie is good as well...... I got it off of Netflix.

Joanie Nasholm this was the very 1st Amish book i read and loved it. and now Amish books are my favorite. i love and read all of her books. just today i bought this book again because i lent it out and never got it back (i guess someone else loved it too) and had to replace it

Anita I have read the whole collection of this set. My Mother passed the books on to me. I love reading about the Amish.

Stephanie I've read it and watched the movie,i loved them

Angel Great book/series.

message 38: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa Martha wrote: "I liked the book. I'll be reading the rest of the series after I can find them & buy them. After I have a little spending money for books, too. LOL"

I have them and am willing to send them to you "media mail." No charge.

message 39: by Jean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jean Coleman I read the book, The Shunning." It has also been made into a movie in the past two or three years. This is a pretty usual type of Amish novel that have become so very common in these past years. I gues that we all have sort of an interest into how the Amish live, but there are now so many books that it has almost become overkill, don't you think? Our large Christian bookstore in Knoxville has about six shelves filled with Amish novels. Did you realize that back in the early 1970s there really were no Christian novels. We did not want to be "entertained" (I hope you understand this comment), but we wanted to be taught the things of God. Christian fiction was almost unheard of back in those days. We were so very hungry for teaching so we could understand the word of God. But I did enjoy the shunning....saw the movie first. Blessings!

Cindi I enjoyed the entire series. Beverly Lewis does a great job with her story telling.

Phyllis This is the first book by Beverly Lewis that I read. I have read the whole series and now many more of her books, and like them all. Just a note, I love to read and there are very few books that I don't like if they are good clean fiction.

Kristin Yes, I enjoyed the book/series.

message 43: by Jean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jean Coleman Perhaps I shouldn't say this on Goodreads, but there is an excellent DVD out called "The Shunning" based on the book by Beverly Lewis. I have read the book and also seen the movie and liked them both very much. I guess the movie was produced for those who don't have time to read.

Kathie I read this series and found it interesting. My mother enjoys any books on the Amish. Worth reading.

Rachel Loved this book! :) Beverly Lewis is an amazing author, would recommend this series!

Anita I have read it and enjoyed it at the time. They made a movie out of this one on Hallmark. I believe it was anyway. I read Amish for a time or two then off to other Christian Historical novels and It is getting close to going back to a good Amish story soon. Enjoy it

Rachel As one that likes the books alot more than movies in most cases; I found the movie to be far off from what I can remember (saw it quite a while back on Hallmark/Lifetime one of those :p )

Anita Rachel wrote: "As one that likes the books alot more than movies in most cases; I found the movie to be far off from what I can remember (saw it quite a while back on Hallmark/Lifetime one of those :p )"

Right and the book is much better and the movie even leaves off before the book does.

Micaela loved this book and the whole series. excellent in detail. I highly recommend the series

message 50: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina I read it a long time ago, and I loved it.

« previous 1