The Filipino Group discussion

Speak
This topic is about Speak
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Reads > Laslas-Fanatics: Speak | Start Date: 8 July 2013

Comments (showing 1-50 of 73) (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1332 comments Dear all,

The World Suicide Prevention Day is on September 10th of every year. But we girls are so excited to put this up, we decided to invite everyone to join us as we read and understand the sentiments of the girls having the "suicidal tendencies / episodes" (I am not in the proper position to declare if a person is into one, but let me say this for discussion purposes).

So hello to the Laslas-genre-buddy-reads: where we share each other's viewpoints about these stories. In celebration of the said occasion, we already read the first book on the list - Jay Asher's first novel, Thirteen Reasons Why.

As we discussed the buddy-reading with the Manila Noir Book launch yesterday, we decided to fast track the reading speed - instead of starting the second book at the middle of the month, we decided to put this thread up and start reading Laurie Halse Anderson's first novel, Speak.

The book is composed of 214 pages (2011, SquareFish Publication, Paperback) and 4 Chapters - labeled as Marking Periods, like the High School days of First, Second, Third and Fourth Grading Period. We can be flexible about our reading time, but we can dissect the reading period as follows:

July 8-11: First Marking Period
July 12-15: Second Marking Period
July 16-19: Third Marking Period
July 20-23: Fourth Marking Period
(view spoiler)

rule of posting: FREE-POSTING. Just be aware of the other readers. questions and/or answers may be put in spoiler tags~

(view spoiler)

Happy Reading! :)

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments wee, di naman masyadong excited si ella.

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1332 comments Hindi ako excited. KASI EXCITED NA EXCITED LANG!!! :D

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Excited mag laslas? :D

I saw a guide question on Speak online, let's try to use some applicable ones at the end of our reading period. :)

Maria (mariasm) | 2428 comments at seryoso pala ang usapan dito. :)

*pulls out my Speak copy from the shelf*

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Uy! Makikisabat ako sa laslasan usapan dito, pwede po?

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Pwedeng pwede, Ms. Louize! :D

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1332 comments Of course, anyone can participate!

I think this is a serious read, yea? I want to do that Q&A portion too, before I become bombarded with nakamamatay na workloads in The Bank.

(view spoiler)

Guys, let's start the laslasan discussion tomorrow, yay!

message 9: by Cary (last edited Jul 07, 2013 04:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments sureness, mommy L. Mas marami mas masya! Welcome maria!

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Thank you, gals. I've read this 2 years ago, and I believe your thoughts on this thread will be my refresher's course.

message 11: by Questian (new)

Questian | 922 comments puwend makibasa sa thread?makikinig lng sa mga thoughts nyo if ok lng...

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Sure. This is a party open to everyone, Questian. Just a reminder though, actual wrist slashing is not encourage. :)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1332 comments Yes, Questian. This thread is open to everyone. :)

For Cary's concern... hihihi, because I was too tired to type all those sub-chapters within the four "marking periods", just go to the link beliw for you to be guided.

http://thebestnotes.com/booknotes/Spe...

In substance, there are, like, 90 subtopics composing the whole book. Anna, will you be so kind to post the guide questions you found on the internet? Para lahat makapagparticipate? Thanks thanks. :)

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Sure Ella! I'll post the questions on the last day of the reading plan of each period na lang.

message 15: by Questian (new)

Questian | 922 comments thanks guys!! I can relate to the topic kasi since i have these kind of "episodes" since high school...nyahahahaha...i will try to read the book so that i can join in the fray.. i have to lok for a copy 1st.

message 16: by Cary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments thanks ella kalabasa! I will commence my reading probably tomorrow. I have to catch up with my reading ng Cholera.

message 17: by Cary (last edited Jul 10, 2013 07:01PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments mga babaita, anyare na sa atin? Hehe

message 18: by Questian (new)

Questian | 922 comments just a passing thought..since i'm tinotopak naman...

will taking once life solve your problems? or taking your life means your running away rather than facing the music?

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Carryyy! :)) Di ko pa nasisimulan. :))

Hi Questian! To share my thoughts on your question:

I haven't heard any suicide cases that resolved their issues. It does prevent the problem from bothering the person, because they're dead, but it didn't exactly address whatever the root problem of the suicide act is. I am not going to say it's cowardice on the part of those who committed suicide, but yes I think you're just running away from it and not really solving it.

message 20: by Cary (last edited Jul 10, 2013 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments medyo 20% na ako. I wonder, may mangyayari ba talagang laslasan sa book na ito? yes, the protagonist has issues pero I'm not sure if this will lead to that sad decision. hmmm, let's see...

well, nangungulit lang ako ;p

message 21: by Questian (new)

Questian | 922 comments Thanks for the answer Aenna!

i asked that because there are some dark thought s going inside my mind. i was thinking why other people view dying as a release of some sort. But it can never be the case to some.

am i making any sense?

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1332 comments Maybe suicide for some is a form of release... the times when you are bonbarded with "too much darkness" in life and you wanted to let them all out but you can't and leaves you with no choice but to do that...

I am just grateful that I never entertained that thought. So far. Maybe because I feel the love. And I'd rather think of the good things. :)

At dahil jan; hindi ko pa nasisimulan ang book. Will start over the weekend. Tapusin ko ang weekdays and tremendous workloads huhu

message 23: by Questian (new)

Questian | 922 comments hahaha....I know what you mean Ella.

There are times that it's easy to give in to the darkness that inside us. But there's always hope. So maybe, no matter how much that thought goes in me i don't do it. I find a bright spot to sit and tell myself that i'm lucky, in spite of everything.

message 24: by Cary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments Based sa reason ni Hannah (view spoiler), she decided to end her life because she had lost hope to continue and move forward, so yeah, more on letting go of the world and life sya.

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments I think, it's more on "it's the end of the journey" kind of feeling. It's the point when you think there's no use moving forward, because there's nowhere to go. It's the end of the tunnel, and there's no light shining nearby. But of course, when one reach that point, we must remember that it will get better in time. I always believe that faith can move mountains, even there is none. :)

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Yey I am finished with the 1st Marking Period. :D

It's mainly focused on character build-up pa lang. Madami dami pang discoveries for the story to totally unfold. :)

message 27: by Cary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments anna, post m na ung questi0n for first marking period?

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Ipost ko na? Di pa ata nakabasa lahat, pero sige post ko mamaya na lang. :)

message 29: by Cary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments first marking period lang naman. spoiler tag na lang siguro? haha excited.

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Sige sige, para we have starting point for the discussion.

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Olah! As I previously posted, I saw a list of guide questions for the book, and I will share it here so we can have something to start our discussion with. :D

I selected few questions from the guide questions I found online.

FIRST MARKING PERIOD
1. What is Melinda's mood as the book begins? As you read the first section of the book, discuss why you believe she might be feeling this way.

2. Melinda categorizes the Merryweather students into several groups: jocks, cheerleaders, human waste, suffering artists, etc. How would you categorize yourself in these groups?

3. Melinda repeatedly alludes to an event that occured in her recent past. What do you think may have happened to her?

4. In the Nightmare part: (view spoiler)

message 32: by Cary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments nga pala, may movie dw pala ang book na ito at si kirsten stewart ang bida. In fairness, bagay sa kanya ang role. Emotionless lagi hehe

Maria (mariasm) | 2428 comments Girls, is it just me, or boring ang book na ito? I'm already on the 3rd marking period, and the story still feel flat to me.

message 34: by Cary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments Maria wrote: "Girls, is it just me, or boring ang book na ito? I'm already on the 3rd marking period, and the story still feel flat to me."

flat talaga si Melinda eh haha

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments I'm stuck on 2nd Marking Period. And yes, it's boring.

Maria (mariasm) | 2428 comments buti na lang at hindi lang ako! it is (un)fortunate that i am not bringing my Ilium 3G, kaya continuous ang reading ko dito, at sinusunod ko tlg ang reading plan haha! ang sakit lang, kasi walang kwenta magkwento c Melinda. she cannot get me,to symphatize (or emphatize?) with her sorry life.

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Hi girls!
I think that's the kind of tone Anderson would like to focus on this book. "Empty" is exactly how a victim feels inside. It's probably got to do with our culture and perspective, we Filipinos are more expressive, and we have difficulty shutting ourselves up. So we can relate to Melinda but we don't exactly feel her. Just a thought.

Lynai | 1187 comments I agree with Louize. I, too, felt the lack (or maybe, distant) tone Melinda has. it's as if she is trying to separate herself from the circumstances that happened and are happening in her life.

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments I haven't started yet. I don't know bakit di binabasa ng iBooks yung file -_-"

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Tricia, do you get the "...the resource code is missing.." pop up? I can't open my .epub copy, too.

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments It is a epub.zip file. Instead of opening as epub, nageextract siya ng contents. Labo lang eh. I downloaded a new copy.

Mel is kind of sad but also stupid. Why hold back things (truth) when you're already suffering? I don't think there will be any difference if she'll suffer if she told whatever truth it is than she is already.

I find the book easy to read but I find it more surprising that I am kind of annoyed with Mel. Most of the time, I emphatize with the depressed an bullied characters but sakanya hindi. Wala lang haha

Maria (mariasm) | 2428 comments *closes book*

Sigh. This is not the first suicide book I read, but this is the first time that I truly could not care about the victim.

Melinda was thirteen when IT happened, so I kinda went easy on her in the end.

If Anderson was going for the "empty" tone, it certainly did not work on me. Suicide is such a taboo topic, so I would've liked more for the author to appeal to me in the general sense that the author wants me to understand that people who contemplates suicide REALLY have serious problems, of which their contemplation stems to. That's why I have to read their stories. I did not get that kind of persuasion in Speak.

It was obvious that Melinda was victim because she chose to be a victim by not speaking up. I totally agree with Dave Petraski: "You can't speak up for your right to be silent."

I am a product of my choices, not of my circumstances. - that would've been a great advice on her.

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1332 comments I made it through the first markjng period!!!!
Hahahahahahuhuhu why this book is so flat and emotionless...? Ganito ba mga isolated? Or maybe this is the another side of primadonna...? Ha? Haaay

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Off to the 3rd marking period.

Mr. Freeman is more interesting than Melinda.

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1332 comments Yes yes. Mr. Freeman is interesting. Even that lab partner of hers. Hahaha.

message 46: by Cary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments haha, gusto ko dn si david. David nga ba?

Maria (mariasm) | 2428 comments Ella and Aenna: sana matapos nyo ang story ni Melinda :)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Lol di na ako nakapagbasa muli. Mel is annoying as well as sad. Medyo kinakabahan akong basahin siya pag night shift. Baka malungkot ako lol

Maria (mariasm) | 2428 comments Tricia: Hindi naman nakakalungkot, nakaka-antok siguro hahaha

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Hahaha! Yan din. Sinimulan ko tong basahin nung rest day ko tapos di ko namalayan na nakatulog ako lol

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread