Public Librarians discussion

Top Teen Reads

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barb (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 4 comments I would love to hear other librarians ideas on top teen reads. Here are a couple of books I would suggest based on the number of requests we get in our library:

Stormbreaker by Horowitz (Alex Rider series)
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Brashares
Hatchet by Paulsen

I will give it some thought and add more later.
Barb

message 2: by Barb (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 4 comments Another great one is the Giver by Lowry.

message 3: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

Diane (dianes) A very popular teen series (with girls) here is Twilight and New Moon by Stephanie Meyers (with the 3rd book, Eclipse, coming out in august). I really enjoyed these books and can't wait for Eclipse!

message 4: by Alexis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:47AM) (new)

Alexis | 6 comments Mod
I just bought Twilight and can't wait to dig into it (or bite into, ha ha). However, I need to finish HP7 first. Some of my favorite teen reads are "The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale, "I Am the Messenger" by Markus Zusak, and "Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson. HP7 is pretty good so far--lots of action. I am sure you all know that though by now, eh? I am such a slow reader...anyway, happy reading, Alexis

message 5: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:48AM) (new)

Diane (dianes) Laurie Halse Anderson's new book Twisted is really good too! I liked it even better than Speak.

message 6: by Gwennie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Gwennie | 1 comments I loved the Goose Girl, and also the 2 companion novels..."Enna Burning" and "River Secrets" by Shannon Hale. Those lead me (not sure why) into the Protector of the Small Series by Tamora Pierce, which I have given to many middle school readers. I have been very successful in book-talking Son of the Mob by Gordon Korman, even gave it to a Japanese exchange student who wasn't sure he wanted to try anything in our teen section, but his teacher insisted--his eyes lit up when I told him it was about the mob, among other things.

message 7: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Rachel (biblio_rach) | 5 comments I liked Twisted, but I really think a better story in the same vein is Inexcusable by Chris Lynch. He really has a grasp on the teenage male mind and actions.

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Rachel (biblio_rach) | 5 comments My favorites are Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer, Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going, the Uglies trilogy by Scott Westerfeld, and the Georgia Nicholson series by Louise Rennison.

I also loved the Book Thief by Markus Zusak and the Giver by Lowry. I recommend Son of the Mob to lots of kids :-)

I love teen books!

message 9: by Susan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Susan (bookishtype202) | 3 comments I love the Zusak and Meyer suggestions. Zusak's I am the Messenger is one of the best teen books I've read in the last year. I also lied Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes--I forget the author.

message 10: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Tara I really enjoyed Zusak's books too. I just finished The Book Thief. A couple good books to recommend to teen boys are books by Kevin Brooks (The Road of the Dead) as well as books by Pete Hautman. Rash was particularly entertaining. A book that stuck with me a long time after I read it was How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. I think it was her first book, and it was very powerful. Some heavy themes, so it's better for older teens I think.

message 11: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Diane (dianes) I'm listening to Goose Girl right now as I drive to and from work. It's really good! It's done as a full cast audio. I definitely plan to read the others! Thanks for letting me know about these books.

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesld) Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr is very popular. The book: Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time by Mark Haddon would be appropriate for teens as well. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray is a popular teen blended genre fiction novel. Books by David Levithan and Meg Cabot are popular reads for young adults.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily As a young teen i really enjoyed books by Avi (esp. Beyond the Western Sea) He wrote a lot of historical fiction/mystery

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara (ptero27) | 5 comments I agree with all the ones listed. I think there are tons of great teen books out there and listing them all would take forever... here are some of my "sure thing" recommendations.

The warriors series by Erin Hunter
Graceling is one of the best YA of 2008
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
The Lulu Dark Series

just to name a few.