Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Hanna's 50 Reads in '09

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) Alright! Let's do this challenge.

message 3: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) 6. Anne of Green Gables

I can't believe hadn't read this as a child! I picked up this book thinking it is too strange as a Canadian to have never read this book. Looking forward to the day I can read it to a daughter of my own.

message 4: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) 7. Status Anxiety

I love his writing and humor. Will definitely look for more books by Alain de Botton!

message 6: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) It seems like I'm reading a lot more non-fiction this year...yay for me!

The Bishop of Rwanda by John Rucyahana [image error]
Started reading these two...

Been reading up on africa to prepare for a trip that I'm taking this summer...of course, the experience will be a million times better but reading about it is getting me excited!

Any recommends?

message 7: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Hanna wrote: "6. Anne of Green Gables

I can't believe hadn't read this as a child! I picked up this book thinking it is too strange as a Canadian to have never read this book. Looking forward to ..."

I also JUST read this book.

message 8: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1876 comments Mod
Hi, Hanna. Welcome, and good luck! Looks like you're almost done already! :)

message 9: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) Finished reading:

23. The House at Sugar Beach A Memoir by Helene Cooper

in preparation for my trip to Africa this summer...the book is a memoir about Liberian childhood & history. Stoked!

24. Why I Write

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 487 comments Hanna wrote: "It seems like I'm reading a lot more non-fiction this year...yay for me!

The Bishop of Rwanda by John Rucyahana[image error]
Started reading these two...

Been reading up on africa t..."

Hi Hanna!
Where are you traveling to in Africa?

message 11: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) I am traveling to Liberia with a group of friends to work with Hope for the Nations orphanage and a local hospital. A few of us are nursing students so we're also looking to run a community outreach program in the village.

Do you have a special interest in Africa? The more I read about the country the more I'm drawn to it.

message 12: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) 25. Memory A Novel

I also tried reading The Boys in the Trees but it was not the right kind of fiction for me. I didn't really get it and stopped trying after the first chapter.

message 13: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) Tiffany wrote: "Hi, Hanna. Welcome, and good luck! Looks like you're almost done already! :)"

Thanks Tiffany! I guess I'm half-way through but in a way I half-cheated as well. The first 20 or so books were read just before I started this 50-book challenge...though I wouldn't mind reading a few extra books to account for my cheating!

message 14: by Hanna (last edited May 26, 2009 06:24AM) (new)

Hanna (ohanners) 26. The Wednesday Letters

It was a bit cheesy and reads like a bad sitcom script but I absolutely love the concept of writing Wednesday Letters and will put it on my list of things to start when I have a family of my own. Another thing that kept me from abandoning this book was the values and truths the characters play out through their actions and their lives. Love, forgiveness, integrity, openness, and more love...ingredients of Jack & Laurel's lasting marriage and also of their gift to the next generation as they leave this world.

message 15: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Congrats for being over 1/2 way!

message 16: by Melanie (last edited May 26, 2009 09:20PM) (new)

Melanie | 487 comments Hanna wrote: "I am traveling to Liberia with a group of friends to work with Hope for the Nations orphanage and a local hospital. A few of us are nursing students so we're also looking to run a community outreac..."

That's awesome, Hanna. I have always wanted to visit there. My mother and I were hoping to take a trip in the next year or so - Botswana and South Africa or Kenya. We are just in the talking-about-it stage, not quite to the actual planning stage. : )

message 17: by Mary Todd (new)

message 18: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) 27. Is Christianity Good for the World?
28. Letter to a Christian Nation

After reading up on apologetics and atheism I have a few personal thoughts. Some of the things I wrote for 'Letter to a Christian Nation': I didn't like the tone of this letter and I guess it makes all the difference when you start off with the notion of God as a Person rather than God as an idea or a concept. As a christian reader, I did try to read this book objectively, although there was nothing objective about the author's arguments. After reading it though, it gave me clarity and brought focus on what I believe and what matters to me in life. It gave me a stronger conviction that I should never confine myself to atheism and never live as though God does not exist.

message 19: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) 29. The Art of Travel
30. A Thousand Splendid Suns

Also, I did read The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis (again), but I don't think I should count children's books in this challenge because I do read them every so often when I get extremely bored of real life and tired of reading grown-up stuff. Everyone needs a boost of imagination and who better to go to than CS Lewis? :)

message 21: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) Haven't been able to tackle any major books since life had been keeping me busy (africa, fall semester...). But here's an update of what I did manage to read:

33. "Why Do I Love These People?" Understanding, Surviving, and Creating Your Own Family by Po Bronson
34. The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews
35. A Fish Out of Water 9 Strategies to Maximize Your God-Given Potential by George Barna
36. The Prodigal God Christianity Redefined Through the Parable of the Prodigal Sons by Timothy Keller
37. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

That last one I had to read it for school but surprisingly, it wasn't so bad. So I have to read 13 books in about 2 weeks, eep!

Well, school's out for winter so I definitely have more time now.

Oh oh oh, wait. Does this one count?

38. Building a WordPress Blog People Want to Read by Scott McNulty

Trying to build a blog for my charity group: http://heartsunitedforsouls.wordpress...

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sheralooma) | 1 comments Hanna wrote: "Finished reading:

23. The House at Sugar Beach A Memoir by Helene Cooper

in preparation for my trip to Africa this summer...the book is a memoir about Liberian childhood & history..."

Tiffany wrote: "Hi, Hanna. Welcome, and good luck! Looks like you're almost done already! :)"

I loved reading The House at Sugar Beach ... I was completely unaware of Liberian "royalty," and I thought Helene Cooper wrote beautifully of her and her family's experiences! Now I pay special attention when I hear or see her reporting ... from Iraq, I think.

message 24: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) 41. The Glass Castle

The best memoir I've read in a long while. A perfect book to finish the year with.

So I think that's it. Just under 8 hours left of 2009 and I don't think I'll be finishing any books tonight as I'm get ready for New Years' Eve celebrations. So that means I'll just have to read more next year!

Happy New Year, everyone.