Writing Passionates discussion

How do we come up with stories?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 327 (327 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I mean this literally. How do we? What gives us that burning desire to write? What makes our pencil move?

In this topic I would love to discuss possible story ideas. I have a hard time coming up with events for books but once I get those I really get going. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. If so we should all share our problems and try to help each other. I mean, isn't that what writing passionates is all about, writing with passion?

message 2: by Katy (last edited Jan 28, 2008 04:59PM) (new)

Katy K. (twilightlover) My problem is that once I get a good start to a story I cant get going. You know like you get a great plot idea and a fantastic starting paragraph to pull reader in but then you cant get going after that. I come up with the best stories when im outside playing basketball, but when I try to sit down to write things out I get to far ahead of myself and then finally give up.

message 3: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I've taken to carrying a notebook around with me everywhere I go so that if an idea pops into my head I can just jot it down.

message 4: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
Katy, I am sooo the same when it comes to getting ahead of myself. Sometimes I stop to think how I am going to word something and I end up thinking much farther into the story and what is going to happen. The ideas are good usually, but they make me forget what I was going to write and by the time I get to the point where I can put the ideas into words, I have forgotton what I wanted to put down. It is frustaiting sometimes.

And McKenizie, I am the same way with events. I can write a short story perfectly fine, but I get stuck on what happens next when I try to write something longer. Maybe I should carry around a journal like you do.

And as for what gives us the burning passion to write, I think it is a little different for everybody. For some it is a creative outlet and for others it is an emotional one. And others still simply love words and everything about them. Personally, I like to make stuff up and make things that happen sound cool. And you just have to love those beautiful phrases that pop into your head. The perfect way to word something by using a simile. (not quite sure how to spell that word simile...if I spelled it wrong then I mean comparing something to something else...like a metaphor but a little bit different.) Oh, and the little side comments you can make with parenteses. I love those.
But I do know what you mean by burning passion for writing. In this group you have to at the very least like writing, but a passion like yours and mine makes this group more.

message 5: by Kenzie (last edited Jan 31, 2008 07:50AM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Wow Veronica! That was deep. I, like you, am good at EXPLODING THE MOMENT as our teachers say. If I feel like writing I can make a short little tidbit great. "sigh" Then I have to continue if I want to make it a story.

P.S. you spelled simile correct:)

message 6: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

You said it all in a very small amount of words.

Today I just had this random spark of inspiration for the begining of a story, so I got out a random notebook(I have so many half filled notebooks from school, but this one had nothing in it except an old journal entry which I tore out and threw out...It was like two years old and not very exceptional) So I started a story and wrote a prolouge and two very short chapters, which except for the last chapter I put on goodreads,and this is in fact the third discussion I have brought it up in. I really want people to read what I have and give me feedback. What happens is that a kid kills himself so he can get revenge by haunting people. It is the first completely serious thing I have written. There are two small toutches of humor in the first two paragraphs but then everything humorous about it disappears.

message 7: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I read it and it was very well written. It draws in the readers attention which is the hardest thing to do when writing a story. Good luck with the story!

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ladd (ashleyladd) | 9 comments Sometimes story ideas come easily and others, I have to brainstorm and struggle. Sometimes my publishers have a theme and that helps get the creative juices going. Sometimes it's something one of my kids or someone does around me. Sometimes I surf the internet for ideas. Sometimes I'm reading a book or a blog and an idea jumps out at me. Occasionally, a dream will inspire a new story. ideas come from everywhere. But it's imperative to keep something nearby to write them down so you don't forget, and to write down the details that come along later. I keep steno pads in my car, in my bedroom, at my computer desk...

message 9: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments If I don't write down the idea right away I lose it. It's very upsetting when you loose and idea.

message 10: by Tess (new)

Tess I had a burning passion for writing a story last night, but i lost it.
It was about a boy who figures out his brother is in control of the sea, and his every person is in conrol of one thing in nature.

message 11: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

It sounds like it could make an interesting story. Maybe you should write it when you feel compelled to write again suddenly.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

My biggest problem writing is when I get as far as, say chapter 5, and I can't write anymore. It's like someone just took a needle and popped my writing balloon! When I'm not at the computer (where I write my stories), I feel that flare of creativity come back to me and I practicly run to the computer, but when I get there, it's gone... again. It really gets on my nerves...

message 13: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Well, instead of going to the computer, why don't you write it out and then type it later? I really can't write rough drafts on the computer. I like to see how I had something worded before it got changed so that I can change it back if I want to.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the tip. I am staring to carry a notebook around with me everywhere. You should see my room. They're everywhere!

message 15: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Hey, at least you won't be running to get a notebook anymore....Only that pencil....

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I know! It's just right over there, by the remote, across the room. *gets up, walks over and grabs pencil*
Whew! That was HARD! I think I need something to drink, in the kitchen, downstairs.
PRAY FOR ME!?!?!

message 17: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments That was the easy one.

message 18: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

I think that we have gotten a bit off topic.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I think so too...

message 20: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Well, there isn't much else to say. The question has been answered.

message 21: by Sean (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) I start by invoking the Elder Gods through ritual goat slaughter...then, I stuff coffee beans into my nostrils until I hallucinate the image of a leprechaun who looks suspiciously like Ed Koch. The leprechaun gives me a map to the location of the Secret Vault of Things to Write and I gather a fellowship of nine adventures to help me get there. Inevitably, we lose one adventurer to betrayal, and another to the Balrog, but after I arrive at the Secret Vault of Things to Write, I must be challenged by the Guardian Troll. The troll asks me Questions Three and I must answer correctly with haste, or I will be forced to endure a lengthy sojourn in the Cave of Many Oprahs. If I answer the Questions Three, I am allowed entrance into the Secret Vault of Things to Write. Upon entering, I must first seek the blind balloon-seller who knows where the Scroll of Creation lies. I ply him with stale beer and weak ginger candy until he blinks twice and drools ever so slightly. I take one of his balloons and pop it with a porcupine quill. The map to the Scroll of Creation falls out and I follow it until I come to the Clever Box of Hiding. (It looks suspiciously like a Rubik's Cube.) I solve the Clever Box of Hiding and then, finally, I lay hands on the Scroll of Creation. I journey back home, read the Scroll of Creation, and begin to write...

Actually, I have no idea what makes me write. It's like the priesthood for some. It's a calling. I may not be the best out there, but that makes my calling no less important. I think we're driven by our need for creation and the value we place on imagination.

C'est la vie...

message 22: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

I liked your story there... it was intersting.

message 23: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Don't mean to sound stupid, but, what does C'est la vie mean?

message 24: by Sean (last edited Mar 23, 2008 08:12AM) (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) Is French. Roughly translated, it means "Such is life."

You use it to say, "That's it, I guess..." or "That's the way the cookie crumbles."

Pronounce it like "Say la vee"

:)

message 25: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I'd really like to learn french, but my high school got rid of it. If I learn I'd have to teach myself.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to take french. Have to teach it to myself though. But that won't be hard. I mean, I was like in the 5th grade when I learned Latin. And I passed. :)

message 27: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments You know Latin? I just learned what pig latin is.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I know Latin. One of my favorite things to say
is 'Libri ego amo!' It's been a while since I've looked at my notebook, so a ruff translation is... I love this book!

Libri= book
ego= I/me/myself
amo= love

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 29, 2008 05:59AM) (new)

Oh, and I love pig latin. But I would have to choose my dead language abilities over it.
My dream languages to learn are French, Italian (I plan on going there when I get married) and German (so when my dad goes back to Germany, I can understand what people are saying).

Well, I'm off to read.
Goodbye amigos!

C'est tres amusaunt!

-Ookwormbay

:)

message 30: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Wow! You have a lot of learning ahead of you. Go luck with that!
-Enziekay

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks! :)

ps. C'est tres amusaunt means It's been very fun. Or somthing like that. :)

message 32: by Sean (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) How can you be "repulsed" by an entire country of people?

message 33: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Maybe she doesn't like their style?

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 26, 2008 12:36PM) (new)

I'm sorry, but sometimes, I use words that are too strong for what I'm trying to say. Sorry! I do not feel repulsed by the French at all. It's just that sometiems they can really push the wrong buttons on me and make me mad. I appolagize for the wrong chose of words. I didn't mean to make anybody mad.

message 35: by Sean (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) Ah, so now you say "they?" The entire French population, every man, woman, child, and teacup poodle do things that make you mad?

Generalizations are a tool of the ignorant and the devil. ;)

France is like America or any other country. Sometimes a few morons spoil it for the everyone else.

Ever watch video of Iranians talking about Americans? Or Israelis talking about Americans? Or even Germans? All they know is what they see on TV and what the media tells them. They think we're all lazy, we want to bomb their country, and take their lands. Almost every country on the planet thinks America is a half-day away from invading their country.

We're not...nor are most of us warlike and apathetic and godless like many foreign media outlets would like you to believe...

But, that's the danger of generalization.

Don't hate a group of people. You waste too much of yourself. A few people do not represent a country.

France is one of those places that gets a bad rep because their leaders are idiots and their media outlets are biased. Go to the south of France, go to WWII battle sites--you'll see a different France than you think you know.

And beware of generalizations.

message 36: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Wow! You must really disaprove of generalizations.

message 37: by Sean (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) I disapprove of ignorance.

Granted, some ignorance is willful, but I don't think Bookworm was being willfully ignorant, but it's always a good lesson to learn to guard against broad, all-encompassing statements about a people.

message 38: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Well, we shouldn't steriotype. It's not right. But I don't think that's what she was aiming for. I think it was just a saying .

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Kenzie.

message 40: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments No problem. But really, no steriotyping. Extremely unpleasant to be in the middle of one.

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 29, 2008 05:58AM) (new)

Sorry. :)

I went back and fixed what I said so it's not offencive in any way.

message 42: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
Whenever I come up with an idea, it's usually because something around me evokes a spark in my head. Maybe it's something that's just happened or something I've just seen. I usually never get one when I'm looking for them- they just come to me in the middle of nowhere. I'm no trouble with getting ideas. But sometimes, when I have an idea, and start writing, I get stuck; I don't know how to continue on it.

message 43: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
I've tried all kinds of writing exercises to come up with ideas before. The truth is, it doesn't work. You can't TRY to get ideas. The harder you think about it, the less likely you are to come up with anything. The best thing to do is wait, and the idea will come on its own. It could take a really long time. But waiting for a month for a good story to come along is much better than forcing yourself to write crappy stories because you don't have any ideas.

message 44: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Sometimes I get ideas from my old writing. I mean, I wrote a lot of crappy stories when I was younger, but they had the potential to be good.

message 45: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Most of my ideas hit me when I'm either driving or walking the dog and I start playing the "what if" game in my mind to pass the time. I keep a pad of post-its in my pocket most of the time for quick notes and I have a digital voice recorder in the car.

I don't start writing until I have the bare bones of the plot thought through. I hate getting started only to discover a gapng plot hole.

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate (awestruck) I usually end up with ideas while on the bus going to class, or in class when I'm day dreaming for that matter. Songs seem to inspire me these days as it seems.

I agree with Brigid as well, I usually end up reading some of my old stuff (especially from high school) and then build off of that.

message 47: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Not me. Although, I don't have much to look off of, I only started writing, a ton, a few years ago.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Most of my ideas are spawned off of something. My Hero Association came from this weird little British educational show about shapes. The shapes were like people and had their own personalities. A lot of characters, such as Anita and Calvin, spawned off from the basic character.
For my Fenniks, there based off Warriors but with some humans and magical twists.
My untitled psychic power people are based off a series of Manga books called Miracle girls.
My new Angel stories I got from a friend. I guess it's a Manga thing...but it's a pretty cool idea!
And finally, I have this fairy story (which I still am not sure if I should publish) where the characters are based off of some random drawings!

Well, just the basic point is that most of my story ideas come from things around me; mostly media.

message 49: by Brigid ✩ (new)

meditating!!! it can work really well sometimes... i started a topic on it. :)

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Oh, also, I get ideas from games my friends play!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7