European Royalty discussion

Other Discussions > 17th Century Novel - New Author

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Turnbull | 8 comments Hi

I have just published my first book and have some sample chapters available on the website - I'd be grateful for your feedback!

Decision Most Deadly follows the life of Sir Charles Berkeley as he lives through the pivotal year of 1641, and mixes an exciting and intriguing plot with rich historical details which allow you to fully experience the era. While the country is on the brink of civil war, the book shows how Sir Charles's life is affected by the twists and turns of a stormy period in our history. Main characters include King Charles I and John Pym.
I deliberately picked the time because England was heading for civil war, and I wanted to show how this affected the country, and just what events sparked it. I felt there were already books out there about the war itself, so enjoyed writing the plot around the intrigues of such a tense period.

Please feel free to have a look at the website for more information, or to read the sample work - http://www.decisionmostdeadly.com

Kind regards

Mark Turnbull

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Thanks for sharing this with us Mark! I'll definitely check it out.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Turnbull | 8 comments Hi - I have had my first newspaper review which I have added to the website.

I'd still love to hear your feedback about the sample chapter on the website though, if you could spare some time. Feedback is really helpful, especially with it being my first book.

"Mark Turnbull has his finger on the political, military and social pulse at one of the pivotal moments in British history and he effortlessly transports you back to those momentous days."
The Northern Echo

http://www.decisionmostdeadly.com

Kind regards
Mark

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Thanks for the update Mark!

I definitely plan on getting your book sometime soon. I'm reading a Jean Plaidy book about Henrietta Maria, and I get the feeling Plaidy wasn't very interested in the English Civil War because she's kind of glossing over a lot of it. I'm interested in trying another book on the period.

message 5: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 49 comments The 17th century is definitely a great century for writing and reading.

www.donaldmichaelplatt.com

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I'm just starting to enter the 17th century with my reading. I tend to get to the end of Elizabeth I's reign and stop for some reason (usually to pick up some Plantagenet or Tudor book). I'm surprised with how modern some of it seems to me (maybe it's just the book I read).

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Turnbull | 8 comments The 17th century has a fascination of it's own - there's just something about the momentous events that took place. I think that most books tend to focus solely on the war, as that was a major issue, which is why I went for writing about the period just preceeding the outbreak of war.
Did you know King Charles I and King Henry VIII are buried in the same crypt? So the link between the dynasties continues! (Though Charles will not be happy about being so near Henry, as he did not respect the man)