The Magic of Krynn (DragonLance: Tales I, #1) The Magic of Krynn discussion

Dragonlance series

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betty (new)

Betty I really liked this series and would like to finish all of them. I do not get into fantasy a great deal. My brother recommended these and I decided to give them a shot. I loved them. One of the characters, shoot, have forgotten his name, had me laughing every time I read about him. Well-meaning but bad luck follows him everywhere. If I remember right he was a "kender" or something like that. A delightful character. I read them in the late 80's or early 90's I guess and I did not finish reading all of them. I had gone to the bookstore in an effort to gather all the names of the others. I was floored to find that after reading about 15 of them myself there were a total of about 75 at that time. :) I'd still like to find them though, regret not having done it. Anyone know of a chronological, straight forward list of all of them??? I'd be interested in viewing such a list. Thanks.

Heather Are you talking about just the books that Weis and Hickman wrote or are you talking about the books that other authors have written?

message 3: by Betty (new)

Betty Heather wrote: "Are you talking about just the books that Weis and Hickman wrote or are you talking about the books that other authors have written?"

Actually I don't remember if they were all by Weis and Hickman or others. I think they were written by more than just the two of them. Any that were part of the Dragon Lance Series is what I wanted to find out about. :)

Heather I see. I never really got into the non-Weis and Hickman works, but I did read the first Tales trilogy which goes:

The Magic of Krynn
Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes
Love and War

message 5: by Betty (new)

Betty Heather wrote: "I see. I never really got into the non-Weis and Hickman works, but I did read the first Tales trilogy which goes:

The Magic of Krynn
Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes
Love and War"

They were great books, those above, I enjoyed them immensely and the rest were just as great! :) You should try them if you haven't.

Heather I read the first two, but could not get through the third.
The actual Weis and Hickman timeline goes as follows; if you liked the Tales Trilogy, you'll really enjoy these:

Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Chronicles)
Dragons of the Dwarven Depths (Lost Chronicles)
Dragons of the Highlord Skies (Lost Chronicles)
Dragons of Winter Night (Chronicles)
Dragons of Spring Dawning (Chronicles)
Dragons of the Hourglass Mage ( Lost Chronicles; has not been released)
Time of the Twins (Legends)
War of the Twins (Legends)
Test of the Twins (Legends)
The Second Generation
Dragons of Summer Flame
Dragons of a Fallen Sun (War of Souls)
Dragons of a Lost Star (War of Souls)
Dragons of a Vanished Moon (War of Souls)

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn the chronicles, and the raistlin chronicles r really good. i dont suggest reading the second generation though, its a waste of time. and petalice, the character u were talking about is tasslehoff, the kender. i love him, hes so great!

@_@

message 8: by Betty (new)

Betty Heather wrote: "I read the first two, but could not get through the third.
The actual Weis and Hickman timeline goes as follows; if you liked the Tales Trilogy, you'll really enjoy these:

Dragons of Autumn Tw..."

Wow, thanks for posting the list for me! It looks like a great place to start. :) Thank you so much Heather. :)

message 9: by Betty (new)

Betty Jenn{ AKA duncanator } wrote: "the chronicles, and the raistlin chronicles r really good. i dont suggest reading the second generation though, its a waste of time. and petalice, the character u were talking about is tasslehoff, ..."

Yes, yes! Tasselhoff! He is remarkable. I loved reading about him, I always ended up laughing at his antics and he had a heart that was fierce and loyal. Thanks for reminding me of his name. I am definitely going to have to reread just to enjoy once more. Thanks.

Heather Hanako wrote: "My biggest problem with 99% of dragonlance: It becomes an overplayed basement D&D game with one too many cans of mt dew and funions."

But isn't that how D&D always is? Weis and Hickman were first inspired by D&D because they worked on the original edition, so naturally they would have those similar qualities.

message 11: by Scott (new) - rated it 1 star

Scott I loved the first two trilogies but disliked the anthology that followed. That's when I moved on to other things.

message 12: by Tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim The Tales novels consist of 6 books and should, in my opinion, NOT be read if you haven't read Chronicles (trilogy), The Lost Chronicles (trilogy) and Legends (trilogy) first! Sure, they are separate stories, but if you don't know the grand lines, then you will have a hard time placing these Tales novels in the right context.

All novels:

http://www.dlnexus.com/products/list....
http://www.dlnexus.com/products/chron... (how they are placed on the Krynn timeline)