Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Kristine's reading 50 in her 50th year-Finished with 61

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristine (last edited May 02, 2009 12:38PM) (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 1. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell
2. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
3. Black Swan Green: A Novel by David Mitchell
4. Fine Just the Way It Is: Wyoming Stories 3 by Annie Proulx
5. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
6. The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud
7. B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton
8. Ireland: A Novel by Frank Delaney
9. The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker
10. Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas
11. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
12. The 19th Wife: A Novel by David Ebershoff
13. Poison Study (Study, Book 1) by Maria Snyder
14. What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn
15. Disquiet by Julia Leigh
16. The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry
17. Company of Liars by Karen Maitland
18. The Night Ferry by Michael Robotham
19. The Garden of Evil by David Hewson
20. The Black Tower by Louis Bayard
21. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
22. The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly
23. Final Jeopardy by Linda Fairstein

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melobrien) | 71 comments Solid start. Welcome

message 3: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Fantastic job so far!

message 4: by Cam (new)

Cam Hey Kristine I see we're on the same number of books so far this year, so I naturally say your doing excellently! I'm yet to start Company of Liars but my husband has nabbed that for his pile for the time being (which is just wrong, especially as it's a freshy) What has been your favourite book so far this year?

message 5: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments and welcome to your 5th decade...mine so far has been
AWESOME!

message 6: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments Thanks for the welcome everyone! I am looking forward to reading everyone else's lists too!

message 7: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments Cam: wrote: "Hey Kristine I see we're on the same number of books so far this year, so I naturally say your doing excellently! I'm yet to start Company of Liars but my husband has nabbed that for his pile for t..."

Cam, Hopefully your hubby will read it fast. It is my favorite so far. I think my top five list of the year at this point is:

1) Company of Liars
2) People of the Book
3) The Forgotten Garden
4) Ireland: A Novel
5) The Black Tower

My to-read list keeps growing from being on Goodreads! Too many books and too little time...

message 8: by Cam (last edited May 06, 2009 04:25PM) (new)

Cam I know the feeling my list is exactly the same. The Book 'A Reliable Wife' looks good Kristine it's going into my next couple of reads pile along with Company Of Liars (if I can get it back!)

message 9: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments Cam: wrote: "I know the feeling my list is exactly the same. The Book 'A Reliable Wife' looks good Kristine it's going into my next couple of reads pile along with Company Of Liars (if I can get it back!)"

I just checked A Reliable Wife out from the library last week! Our reading tastes are so similar it is scary!

message 10: by Cam (new)

Cam Very Scary!

message 11: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments Halfway there!
24. The Meaning of Night: A Confession by Michael Cox (4 Stars)
25. Gifts of War by Mackenzie Ford (4 Stars)

message 12: by Mary Todd (new)

message 13: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Yay for 1/2 way!

message 14: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 26. The Little Book By Selden Edwards (4 Stars)

message 15: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 27. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (3 Stars)

(I guess I just don't enjoy short stories as much as I do novels.)

message 16: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 28. The Shadow Year: A Novel by Jeffrey Ford (5 Stars)

Laugh-out-loud funny and creepy too!

message 17: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 29. The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan (4 Stars)

message 18: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 30. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (4 Stars)

I had to know what everyone was talking about!

message 19: by Cam (new)

Cam Kristine wrote: "30. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (4 Stars)

I had to know what everyone was talking about!"

Thank goodness for the explanation, & the photo or else I'd be thinking I had the wrong Kristine!

message 20: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments Yeah - it isn't really my kind of book, but I have two people from work (one a married man of 35!) wanting me to read them all so we can have a book discussion about them. My nieces are really into them too, so it gives us some common ground. It wasn't bad. BTW - I am gifting The Forgotten Garden to one of the nieces who has a birthday next month.

message 21: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 31. Table for two by Adam Christopher (2 Stars)

message 22: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 32. Suite Francaise By Irene Nemirovsky (4 Stars)

message 23: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 33. The Red Leather Diary: Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal
by Lily Koppel (2 1/2 Stars)

message 24: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 34. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (3 Stars)

message 25: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 35. Life of Pi by Yann Martel (4 Stars)

message 26: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 36. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (3 Stars)

message 27: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 37. Death by the Glass: A Sunny McCoskey Napa Valley Mystery by Nadia Gordon (3 Stars)

message 28: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 38. The Crimson Portrait: A Novel by Jody Shields (2 1/2 stars)

message 29: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 39. The Beach by Alex Garland (2 Stars)

I just couldn't relate to this book.

message 30: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 40. Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer (3 Stars)

message 31: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 41. In the Woods by Tana French (4 Stars) I really enjoyed this book! The writing was wonderful and had a touch of humor which drew me in quickly.

message 32: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 42. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (4 Stars)

message 33: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 43. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (4 Stars)

YA book - I would have never even heard of this book but for this group. The title drew me in. Not my usual type of read but I really enjoyed it!

message 34: by Cam (new)

Cam Love the title Kristine!

message 35: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments Cam: wrote: "Love the title Kristine!"

I think it was the teeth that did it for me!

message 36: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 44. The Girl in the Glass: A Novel by Jeffrey Ford (4 1/2 Stars)

I am really loving this author! I wonder why he isn't better known. This book is a mystery set in New York during the depression. There is a supernatural element that keeps things interesting and some of the historical facts were new to me. Very highly recommended.

message 37: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 45. Mistress of the Art of Death (Book 1) by Ariana Franklin (4 Stars)

I loved the setting (Cambridge in the 1100s)and the mystery was good. The characters were very alive for me. I will read the next Art of Death book.

message 38: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments count down to 50!

The next ones are pretty good, too!

message 39: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments count down to 50!

The next ones are pretty good, too!

message 40: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 46. The Likeness by Tana French (4 Stars)

I listened to the audio of this book, and I loved the reader. The story seemed slower paced than other police procedurals, but the writing was Beautiful and really painted each scene vividly.

message 41: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 47. The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque: A Novel by Jeffrey Ford (4 Stars)

I really like this author. This one was so different from his other ones but still had a creepy element. The ending wrapped up very well.

message 42: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 48. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (4 Stars)

message 43: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 49. Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)by Charlaine Harris (3 Stars)

message 44: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 50. The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (4 Stars) :)

message 45: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 51. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (3 Stars)

message 46: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 52. The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff (4 1/2 Stars)

message 47: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 53. The Glass of Time: A Novel by Michael Cox (4 Stars)

message 48: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 54. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
by Stieg Larsson (4 Stars)

message 49: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 55. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (4 Stars)

message 50: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments 56. That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo (3 Stars)

« previous 1