Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #2) Son of a Witch discussion

Great Adventure

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patricia Mahan/Recker After reading WICKED, I can't believe I was depressed at the death of Elphaba! But she lives on in Liir, her son in this enchanting and politial novel of a different OZ than the one we grew up with.
If you liked WICKED...continue the tale with this one!

Dortha While I didn't care for Wicked at all, for some reason I decided to continue with the series. I thought that it was just like Wicked in the sense that it was slow, dragging, and if not for my optimisim that it would eventually get better, I would (and most likely should) have put the book down in the opening chapter.

I found that I despised Liir for his lack of spine and will power. He mostly just annoyed me honestly.

message 3: by Vic (last edited Jul 16, 2008 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vic i'm close to the end of the book, and i can't wait to finish it. not because i think it's good but because then i can finally move on to other books. I liked wicked but with this one i'm just bored. I don't think ive taken so long to read a book in my life

Amber I actually liked Son of a Witch Better then Wicked. This one was a bit less political, more adventurous, if you can call it adventurous. It wrapt up the whole thing nicely though, I don't think I could/would read any continuations of this tale

Sharon I liked both books, but probably preferred Wicked over Son of a Witch...they are both very smart books with complicated characters that don't adhere to strict definitions of good and evil. And Wicked provided one of my all time favorite quotes: "Always a godmother, never a god!"

Sonja I thought Wicked was better than Son of a Witch. Liir was too apathetic for me and drifted over the line to straight jack ass at times. I also think the political conflicts in Wicked made the it more interesting. I didn't like the chapters of Son of a Witch when Liir was in the military, almost out me to sleep.

message 7: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam I liked Son of a Witch even though Liir annoyed me. Considering his start in life, I can understand him trying to fly under the radar, but he annoyed me anyway.

At the end of the book, I felt like Liir was going to come into his own and I was anxious to start the next book. I was disappointed when the next book (A Lion Among Men) didn't start where the Son of a Witch left off.

Andrew vicki wrote: "i'm close to the end of the book, and i can't wait to finish it. not because i think it's good but because then i can finally move on to other books. I liked wicked but with this one i'm just bored..."

I agree I struggled to finish, but so far A Lion Among Men is Much better, but not as good as Wicked.

Teri After reading several comments in this thread and in others, I find I'm in the minority. I enjoyed Wicked and Son of a Witch but found A Lion Among Men less than enjoyable. I just began the final book of the series, Out of Oz. It began very slowly and seemed to drag for quite a while but picked up steam after about 150 pages. I am hoping it ties up loose ends and questions from the previous books. :-)

message 10: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary I loved Wicked and Son of a Witch, it was A Lion Among Men that I struggled with. After I finished, I liked it, but had a hard time getting through it.

Cheryl I agree. A Lion Among Men was tedious to me. Loved the others though.

message 12: by S (new)

S This is actually the weakest of the four WICKED books, to me.