Gay fiction/non-fiction discussion

Group Reads > Who's reading this month?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (new)

Ted (efcorson) | 414 comments Mod
Like to know how many folks are participating in this read. Please reply to this message... thanks!

Ralph Gallagher I'm going to download the book to my Kindle either today or tomorrow!

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (therobinreardon) | 47 comments As soon as I decide whether to use this as an excuse to get a Kindle or just order the book, I'm in!

Ralph Gallagher Use it as an excuse to get a Kindle! You won't regret it. :D

message 5: by RussBear (last edited May 04, 2009 03:34PM) (new)

RussBear Robin wrote: "As soon as I decide whether to use this as an excuse to get a Kindle or just order the book, I'm in!"

Robin, if you're a bibliophile like me you'll probably have a love/hate relationship with the Kindle and other ebook devices if you decide to buy one. (I have owned a Sony Reader for almost two years.)

On the one hand, I love the idea of storing hundreds--even thousands--of books on one slim device or on my computer hard drive. I bought my Sony Reader with the best intentions of de-cluttering my house. At last count, I have about 2,500 books stuffed into my two-bedroom condo. I have ran out shelf space years ago and probably have close to another 1,000 books in storage.

On the other hand, I'm very "Old School," if you know what I mean. Nothing beats the actual feel and the experience of handling a real book. I also love to share books with family and friends, which the Kindle and the Sony Reader prohibit due to secure encryption on the devices.

So here is what happens more often than not: Last week I started reading The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession In the Amazon on the Sony Reader ($11.99). I immediately fell in love with it and wished that I had bought it in hardback. I kept thinking about my friends who would also love to read this book. I kept thinking that it's a book that I really wanted on my shelf. So I trudged to a nearby Border's store and plunked down another $27.95 plus tax for the hardback. Altogether I paid almost $40.00 and I now own both a digital copy and a hardback printed version of the book. It's crazy, I know, and I have done this with numerous books--about a third of the books I have bought with the Sony Reader. There's still a part of me that cannot break the book habit, even though my house would be cleaner and less cluttered if only I would read ebooks. I hope printed books never die. :-)

Ralph Gallagher You know what would be nice? If books came with a digital copy like some DVDs do. That would be so nice so that you can have a hardcopy and a copy on your reading device.

I do like the Kindle because I can find a lot of books for free online. The books I do buy through Amazon are much cheaper - $9.99 and less. So I end up saving a lot of money there. It's also nice to be able to buy a book anytime anywhere. You don't have to drive to a book store and hope they have it in stock or stand in line for an hour for a new release.

message 7: by RussBear (new)

RussBear Ralph wrote: "You know what would be nice? If books came with a digital copy like some DVDs do. That would be so nice so that you can have a hardcopy and a copy on your reading device.

I do like the Kindle beca..."

Ralph, you're probably aware of the website http://manybooks.net

It's probably one of the best sites for downloading free ebooks in almost any format. A few months ago they added the Kindle format as an option for ebooks.

A couple of weeks ago I downloaded the new Kindle app on my IPod Touch. It works really well and allows me to buy books in Kindle format, but I'll be damned if I will read a whole book on a tiny IPod screen. I'll be as blind as Milton by the time I finish one book.

Ralph Gallagher RDM wrote: "Ralph wrote: "You know what would be nice? If books came with a digital copy like some DVDs do. That would be so nice so that you can have a hardcopy and a copy on your reading device.

I do like t..."

I haven't actually heard of that site. Are they regular authors or Public domain/unknown authors?

message 9: by RussBear (new)

RussBear The site is mostly public domain books but they do allow unknown writers to post their work there, too. It's a great place to download classic lit for free for your ebook reader.

message 10: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 3 comments For next month's book, I thought I'd mention that Toward Amnesia is available for $1.00 plus shipping at places like abebooks.com. Amazon is $30 and up which is a little much, but it is cheaper elsewhere if anyone's having trouble finding it...

message 11: by Ted (new)

Thanks, Kay!!

message 12: by Ted (last edited Jun 30, 2009 08:50PM) (new)

The group selection for July is The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving.

message 13: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher I think I'm gonna read this months for sure. It seems really good and I've heard a lot of good things about it. One of my friends has also emailed me an e-book version of it so I can read it on my kindle

message 14: by Astrid (new)

Astrid | 1 comments I'm going to try. I've wanted to join in on a discussion in the past but my time for reading has been limited lately... however I'll give it my best shot. :)

message 15: by Ted (new)

Great, Astrid!

message 16: by John (new)

John I'll give it a shot - only other Irving I've read (which I liked) was A Son of the Circus, which had a gay aspect as well.

message 17: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher For anyone who isn't able to obtain a physical copy of the book, there is an ebook copy available at http://www.truly-free.org/ for free. (I also believe these books are legal.)

message 18: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) Wow, how is that legal? It seems like the publishing companies would be having a fit...

message 19: by John (new)

John I would like further information on how copyright doesn't applies here.

message 20: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher I believe he obtained these ebooks through legal means (buying them from publishers websites, etc.) and is "loaning" them to people - just as a library would.

message 21: by N.S. (new)

N.S. (nsberanek) | 14 comments I'm in. Picked it up Monday at the library.

message 22: by Ted (new)

Due from Amazon today.

message 23: by DSindja (new)

DSindja | 1 comments Hi everyone!!

The sweetest story that you can ever imagine. That point of your life that you allow yourself to be happy and enjoy and appreciate what you have!!!

PRICELESS!!!

http://amzn.to/1GykbXu

message 24: by Rancy (new)

Rancy Breece | 1 comments What book had been duggedted, I've not been keeping up and do I'm out of the loop.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hotel New Hampshire (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Irving (other topics)