Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Important Stuff > General Information

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (last edited Jan 03, 2020 04:29PM) (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Welcome to Dragons & Jetpacks! This group was created with the aim of starting some fun discussions between sci-fi and fantasy fans. Whilst I am aware that there are plenty of such groups on Goodreads, I wanted a smaller one where interaction between members was easier, unlike the groups with thousands of members.

Our mods are Rinn, Freya, Kirsty, Nic, Michael, Roger, Paul, Audrey, Wayland, Cupcakes & Machetes and Lancer. We all love SFF and I'm pretty sure between us we've covered all sub-genres (and plenty of other genres besides!)

The group has been up since the end of June 2013, founded by Rinn, Freya and Kirsty, who all know each other from university. The books we have read so far can be found on our group-read bookshelf.

Our Book of the Month selection works as follows:
- suggestions thread opens at the beginning of the month, and lasts for 24-48 hours (or until the mods feel we have enough suggestions)
- once suggestions are closed, a random generator is used to select 8 nominations from each genre
- voting begins, and polls are open for one week

Each member may nominate one book per month, and a group message is sent out when the thread goes up. The group chooses both a sci-fi book and a fantasy book, but it is up to each member whether they read one or both (or neither!). Members choose a book by poll vote. Mods also choose a 'Mod Special' every two months.

We have a few rules when it comes to nominating:
- Chosen books cannot be self-published, nor can they be works published only digitally. This is due to many people preferring not to read self-published works for various reasons, and others preferring not to use e-readers. For this reason also, some books published by independent publishers may not be eligible, this is down to the discretion of the moderators.
- Authors may not nominate their own works.
- Graphic novels CAN be nominated.
- When it comes to series that have a 'written' order, but no particular 'reading' order, e.g. the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, any book from that series can be nominated AS LONG as it does not rely on prior knowledge from a previous book. For example, you could nominate much of the Discworld series because they're able to be read as standalones.

If a poll results in a draw, the winning titles will go into a tiebreaker poll, which will last for one or two days.

Book discussion may start at ANY point during the month, and can be started by anyone. Whether you want to discuss the whole book or certain chapters is up to you, but when creating a thread please indicate whether it is the overall discussion or specific chapters e.g. Chapters 1-15. Please note when reading these threads that they will more than likely contain spoilers for that part of the book - proceed with caution! ;)

You are more than welcome to discuss ANY books, not just our Books of the Month! Please use this forum for that purpose, and be sure to either mark spoilers in the topic title, or use spoiler tags within your posts.

And of course, we have an off-topic forum for anything else you might like to discuss :)

We have a couple of rules:
- please act courteously towards all members of the group, and avoid bad language
- please no authors promoting their own books in any way (these sorts of threads will be deleted without warning and the offending member removed from the group if it continues)

Thank you for joining the group, and if you are new, please come and introduce yourself, or perhaps discuss some favourite books and series!

message 2: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Walsh Ok, this might be a stupid question but: I'm new here, do we download the books our selves? Or anything else? Thanks.

message 3: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Yep, you have to buy the books yourself ;)

message 4: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I've updated this - anyone think anything else about the group should be added?

message 5: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Updated again! :) Anything to add?

message 6: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Sounds good Rinn.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1144 comments Are they any instructions on how to use the goodreads app, such as how to locate the polls and how to quote other users in your comments when using the mobile app?

message 8: by Roger, Knight Radiant (last edited Nov 01, 2015 02:51PM) (new)

Roger | 2022 comments Mod
Dawn wrote: "Are they any instructions on how to use the goodreads app, such as how to locate the polls and how to quote other users in your comments when using the mobile app?"

Personally I can't stand the app, it's only useful tool is it's ability to scan a book with a barcode. I go to the mobile website, it works a lot better than the app.

message 9: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
I use the app for convenience sake but have definitely noticed the inability to do many of the things I've seen other users do (quotes etc) . Will have to start using the laptop more.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1144 comments Ok, thanks. Looks like I'll have to get to an actual computer more often.

message 11: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
You can generally open the desktop version in a half decent phone as well. Just select desktop view when you do it and you'll get the full options.

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1144 comments Thanks Paul. Now why didn't I think of that! Yes, it works fine, I just need a magnifying glass to read it ;-)

message 13: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Thats the fun part :-) You can zoom in and out but its a little fiddly.

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1144 comments ...the really sad part is I'm a computer programmer. Duh! Talk about brain shutdown after leaving work!

message 15: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
I'm a developer for part of my work and it follows me home sadly ;-)

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1144 comments Yeah! Geeks rule!

message 17: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Don't we?

message 18: by Josh Koenig (new)

Josh Koenig | 36 comments I agree... Although my programming degree became a $70k hobby.

message 19: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Not a bad tutn then :-)

message 20: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2022 comments Mod
Josh wrote: "I agree... Although my programming degree became a $70k hobby."

same here, it's nice when you can get paid to do what you enjoy

message 21: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

As an archaeologist, I'll never be rich but... I love it :D

message 22: by Josh Koenig (new)

Josh Koenig | 36 comments I'm also almost done with my bachelors in nuclear energy engineering...Not what I really wanted to do, but the Navy gave me almost all of the college credits I needed, and it pays well.

message 23: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Might be worth adding the blog link and twitter link to the above and possibly the front page as well :-)

message 24: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Done!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 229 comments Hi,

I'm new to the group and read many books. I was wondering if you leave the book threads open if we can't get to them at the same time the group is reading them.

Thank you :-)

message 26: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
All book discussions stay open and can be joined or added to at any time

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 229 comments Thanks, Paul :-)

message 28: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Welcome, fellow dog lover ^_^

message 29: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1138 comments Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Hi,

I'm new to the group and read many books. I was wondering if you leave the book threads open if we can't get to them at the same time the group is reading them.

Thank you :-)"

Hey Melissa, great to see you here! :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 229 comments I'm just now seeing this part. I finally have my notifications turned on. Well, I think I do, it comes and goes. I thought I had commented back at some point =) I only found this because I was going to ask the same question again!!!!

I'm going to try to buddy read His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik with a friend at the end of this month or March. I was going to ask again if the threads remain open but I already did in October. So stupid!

I'm going to peruse the shelves for other books I can read and comment on the threads.

Thank you for being so kind and helpful :-)

message 31: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Yep, our chat threads always remain open so even if you read a book months or years later, you can add your thoughts.

message 33: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Dear (teacupstorm) | 3 comments Hello, this is partly an introduction, partly a question. First of all, I am Nikki from St. Louis, MO, USA. My favorite author is Mervyn Peake. But the most important info about me is that I have two cats named GarfBarf Anticatpolicia and Roman NotPolanski and they are the best ever. (yeah, crazy cat lady/sci-fi nerd combo right here. lol.)

So, I've never really joined a group on Goodreads before. I see what books are currently being read. Once I have read one or have started reading one, what do I do next? I've only ever been part of IRL book clubs and obviously the books are just discussed at a weekly meeting or whatnot and there are typically specific topics, etc. Sorry if this is a very basic question.

Glad to meet you all!

message 34: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Hey Nikki, welcome to this group of miscreants. Generally once a book has been voted for a Book of the Month a discussion thread will be opened for that book. Feel free to comment at any time but be sure to include spoiler tags as necessary as everybody reads at their own pace. If you wish to discuss only a certain section of a book just create a thread and label the chapters covered so everyone knows what they are walking into.

If you wish to discuss a book that has not been voted in, you can suggest a buddy read of the desired book and members can join in.

We are a smaller group and there is zero pressure to take part in every chosen book.

We also have off topic threads about movies, games l, and music so feel free to join in any time!

Glad you found us a hope you have a good time!

message 35: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Just a note to myself that this really needs an update...

message 36: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Updated! It was long overdue :D

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Hello D&J friends and moderators! I had a quick question I hope you can help me with.

Under the "Book Discussion - Non-BOTM" heading, there are two similar threads. One is titled "Share Your Reviews!" and the other is "The Last Book I Read Was...". I am wondering which topic should be used for what purpose. Should the title and author be listed in the "The Last Book I Read Was..." topic, with the link to the review posted in the "Share Your Reviews!" topic, or is there some other order that should be followed? Or is the whole thing engineered by the Department of Redundancy Department?

Please advise, thanks!

message 38: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 882 comments Mod
Not everyone writes reviews so they are both there for preference. Or if someone wants to just say something is cool in one thread but post a review in the other, it keeps the non-review thread from becoming clogged with reviews people may not want to read.

That’s my assumption anyway as I wasn’t a creator of the group.

message 39: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1832 comments Mod
Yeah, pretty much Cupcakes - I tend to use the 'Last Book I Read' thread particularly if I've read non-sci-fi/fantasy, as the review may or may not be relevant or of interest to others, whereas if I've read some other sci-fi or fantasy that the group hasn't (and I've got around to writing a review!), I'll probably post in the 'Share Your Reviews' thread.

There's no hard rules on those two threads that I can recall, but that's just an example of how I might use them.

message 40: by Christine (new)

Christine (tigress92) | 13 comments Hoping someone can help me out. I think I saw a link once that had all the books ever read before as BOTM for this group, but now I of course cannot find it anywhere. I’m trying to think of nominees for Feb 2022, but I do t want to nominate a book that’s already been a BOTM, so… help‼️ Where can I find this elusive list I know I’ve seen before❓

message 41: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1832 comments Mod
Hi Christine, the link to the bookshelf of previously read books is in the rules section of Feb 2022 BotM nominations post.

Alternatively, you can navigate from the group front page to our bookshelf and filter on the tags there.