That's Normal's Boozy Book Club discussion

The Spectacular Now
This topic is about The Spectacular Now
The Spectacular Now > Main Discussion (Spoilers) for The Spectacular Now

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elise (new) - added it

Elise (eliserrr) | 25 comments Mod
For those who have finished the book, discuss away!

Rebekah Decker (bekahbuttons) | 101 comments Mod
I DID I DID (Not b/c I'm a teacher's pet (i am) ) but because I just read it before we decided to as a group. I'm so excited to talk about this book!

I'll kick us off:

Was it weird for you being in a 18 year old dude's head? At first it was for me, but I got over it and it was PRETTY realistic (although... I think he'd be even more obsessed with sex, to be honest)

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Kathryn (last edited Jun 28, 2013 05:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathryn | 62 comments Rebekah wrote: "I DID I DID (Not b/c I'm a teacher's pet (i am) ) but because I just read it before we decided to as a group. I'm so excited to talk about this book!
I'll kick us off:
Was it weird for you being..."

[spoiler!! - how do I hide this like Bekah's??

I TOTALLY thought Sutter was going to drunk crash his car and die at any second for at least the last 1/3 of the book! I was actually on edge waiting for the car to careen toward a cliff or something and have Sutter tell us how it feels to be flying and then have the book totally stop. To black - forget the fade. I agree though. I don't see Sutter living long.

Also, I had heard Kyle Chandler was going to be in the adaptation and after I finished I went to IMDB and he's the dad?? Coach Taylor how could you??]

Nayira (nayimarie) | 18 comments Hi hi! so glad we can talk about this book.

(view spoiler)

I can't wait to see the movie, that would make me feel so much better.
I currently also have like kind of a thing for Miles Teller, he's cute, not like OHMYGOSH he's handsome, and freaking hot like Max Irons or Theo James, but cute and funny, I like his acting.

Did you guys felt like hearing his voice while reading the book? Cause I did.
I watched some of his movies and the guy is hilarious, can't wait to see him as Peter as well in Divergent.

April Crain (abookishbabe) | 12 comments I just finished...... That ending!!! I just don't even know!

Emily Anthon i'm having a hard time getting into this book - i don't like being in a teenage boys head. it's bugging me - I'm glad we have a second book :p

Lynette | 20 comments Woof. I'm waiting for the new release paperback over here. £17.00??? I don't think so. And not on Kindle - so sad

Nayira (nayimarie) | 18 comments Lynette wrote: "Woof. I'm waiting for the new release paperback over here. £17.00??? I don't think so. And not on Kindle - so sad"

I also pre-ordered the new edition, it's out this 9th of july if I don't mistake.

Megan  (meganlinnea) | 17 comments Gah! That ending. It was odd being in a teenage boys head. I loved this book, all the feeling I have right now. I can't even compartmentalize.
(view spoiler)

Megan wrote: "Gah! That ending. It was odd being in a teenage boys head. I loved this book, all the feeling I have right now. I can't even compartmentalize.
I don't know what to think about the ending. after I..."

good thoughts though

Emily wrote: "i'm having a hard time getting into this book - i don't like being in a teenage boys head. it's bugging me - I'm glad we have a second book :p"

how far into it are you Em? It took me a bit too

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam | 7 comments I had a hard time getting into the book. I agree it was strange being in the head of a guy... I am not sure I like the ending.

Samantha wrote: "I had a hard time getting into the book. I agree it was strange being in the head of a guy... I am not sure I like the ending."

this seems to be the theme of the book!

Casey | 3 comments I agree with others that said it was a little awkward being inside the head of an 18yo boy. But..I got over it pretty quickly because I just couldn't help but like him! The kid had so much potential (did someone tell him that in the book?) I just kept waiting for him to maybe realize it. He was a smart kid...seemed to have a pretty good heart. I just really think his parents screwed him up.

Also...I feel like after watching the trailer for the movie, there was a quick scene where Aimee and Sutter say hi to eachother, that seemed like it took place after the book had ended. Maybe the movie will give us a little more of a hopeful ending than the book?

message 15: by Tiffany (last edited Jul 03, 2013 08:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tiffany (iamtgar) | 26 comments Mod
I sat out last month's book because after reading two chapters I was like uh no.... This months choices were much better :) I actually listened to the audio book this week while laying out by my pool and I didn't find it awkward to be inside of his head at all. I enjoyed the book, but HATE endings like that. I have been a major hater of Shailene Woodley. I was mad when she was cast as Tris and as Hazel, but for some reason I am totally down for her to be Amiee. She totally fits the Amiee in my head.
I also was waiting for him to crash his car through the whole second half of the book, and was bummed out that no one really does care that he's an alcoholic and adults even encourage it. He totally reminds me of one of my best guy friends in High School so that endeared me to him. His disgust with his father made me feel like he might be okay, like he recognized that his father's life wasn't something that he would want.

Nayira (nayimarie) | 18 comments Casey wrote: "I agree with others that said it was a little awkward being inside the head of an 18yo boy. But..I got over it pretty quickly because I just couldn't help but like him! The kid had so much potentia..."

completely agree with you
I read part of the movie script, I really wanna see it now :)

April Crain (abookishbabe) | 12 comments Did someone say there is a second book coming?? I also hate open ended endings.... The Delirium series ends that way and it drives me up a wall when authors do this!!! Like.... That's it?! I don't want to come to my own conclusions as to what happens! I'm not the author! You are!!!! So tell me what the eff happens!! Lol

Nayira (nayimarie) | 18 comments second book? wut?!

Casey wrote: "Also...I feel like after watching the trailer for the movie, there was a quick scene where Aimee and Sutter say hi to eachother, that seemed like it took place after the book had ended. Maybe the movie will give us a little more of a hopeful ending than the book?
"

Oh really??? I'll have to re-watch... I would like it if they imagined the ending for us....

Tiffany wrote: "I have been a major hater of Shailene Woodley. I was mad when she was cast as Tris and as Hazel, but for some reason I am totally down for her to be Amiee. She totally fits the Amiee in my head. "

love your thoughts & glad you're a part for this month! I think Shailene might be too pretty for Aimee...... Thoughts?

April wrote: "Did someone say there is a second book coming?? "

IS THIS TRUE????? someone needs to google this (fine i will)

Rebekah wrote: "April wrote: "Did someone say there is a second book coming?? "

IS THIS TRUE????? someone needs to google this (fine i will)"

I'm finding nothing

Mary Beth | 8 comments Just started last night. I'm really liking it so far. I have 3 boys, so it's very interesting to read a book from a teenage boy's pov for a change.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Blate | 2 comments There is a girl at the pool at my hotel reading this book! Should I go ask her if she's in the That's Normal book club? Lol!

Rachel wrote: "There is a girl at the pool at my hotel reading this book! Should I go ask her if she's in the That's Normal book club? Lol!"

Of course you should!!

Rebekah wrote:I think Shailene might be too pretty for Aimee...... Thoughts? ">

I saw the trailer for the movie and they totally make her look plain enough to be Amiee, I never thought she was supposed to be ugly, just sort of like one of those girls who doesn't know how to do anything with herself. I personally don't think that Shailene is like a stunning beauty. (like i said, I am a major hater)I just hope we get to see her in a purple puffy coat and t shirts with horses on them!

Jenny | 46 comments Mary Beth wrote: "Just started last night. I'm really liking it so far. I have 3 boys, so it's very interesting to read a book from a teenage boy's pov for a change."

I'm about 2/3 into it. While I love YA, I'm a little uncomfortable that I want to parent Sutter, not date or befriend him. This is probably because I have a tween son and I'm 25 years older than Sutter, but this never bothered me in other books where the narrator was a teen boy (i.e. Beautiful Creatures, Hairstyles of the Damned). I guess I don't like how reckless Sutter is. I don't want to know the ending, but I hope he stops drinking and makes plans for after HS and doesn't break Aimee's heart. Also, I hope he's a vampire. Just a little.

Jenny wrote: " Also, I hope he's a vampire. Just a little.
"

hahahaha

Megan  (meganlinnea) | 17 comments jenny wrote " Also, I hope he's a vampire. Just a little."

That's great. You made my day.

Nayira (nayimarie) | 18 comments A Vampire. omg hahaha

message 31: by Jenny (last edited Jul 13, 2013 10:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny | 46 comments Finished the book this morning. Alas, not a vampire. But I stick by my original instinct which is to parent Sutter. All of the adults in his life failed him -- both of his parents, his sister, Bob, his teachers, the guys at the bar, the clerks who sold him alcohol. Mr. Aster should have called the police on him at the prom. And his friends gave up on him...when Cassidy, Marcus, and Ricky had their "intervention" about Sutter breaking things off with Aimee, they even admitted that they knew he'd never give up drinking. My heart broke for Sutter because he's going to turn out just like his dad. My heart also broke for Aimee. Will they ever reconnect? Probably not if Sutter continues on this path of self-destruction. Ugh.

I liked the idea of "the spectacular now" -- we've all been there. That short window when everything is funny, everyone is beautiful, and the before and after don't mean anything at all. While those moments make life awesome, they don't have to be achieved only through alcohol and there's more to life than the spectacular now.

Wow, now I sound like someone's middle aged mother. Crap, that's exactly what I am. (when the hell did THAT happen?) But that's okay. I'm glad I read this book because it offers more insight into the male teenage brain than I've read in a long time.

Jenny wrote: "Finished the book this morning. Alas, not a vampire. But I stick by my original instinct which is to parent Sutter. All of the adults in his life failed him -- both of his parents, his sister, Bob,..."

I like this thought & can't wait to discuss it further..... about parenting Sutter.. is it because we aren't the target audience (YA) for this book? Or is that because he so desperately NEED parenting?

April Crain (abookishbabe) | 12 comments I think because he desperately needed parenting. Because I read YA ALL THE TIME and don't feel that need. I actually probably picture most of the characters older than they are. Lol.

Casey | 3 comments It would be interesting to see what a 16/17 year old who read this book thinks about Sutter. I too fell into the category of seeing what a great kid Sutter could be and wanting to "parent" him.

Emily Anthon I've seen some of these comments about wanting to parent him, might be why it's hard for me to get into it. I had put the book down... technically i deleted the copy from my ipad. I was just not into this guy... i didn't care about him at all. Then I watched the trailer for the movie, and realized that there might be more a few pages further in and to just stick with it. so i will. I'll see what I can stomach and keep at it.

message 36: by Nayira (last edited Jul 19, 2013 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nayira (nayimarie) | 18 comments But Sutter isn't that bad :( I had a boyfriend, kinda like him, in highschol, and I understood all his struggles why he was an a** most of the times, and tbh years later, he've become a way better person. We're still good friends...
I know, I believe, there's more for Sutter in this story than just this ending.

April Crain (abookishbabe) | 12 comments Seeing the movie Wednesday night and I'm REALLY excited to see Miles Teller pull off Sutter. I really think he can!!

message 38: by Cara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cara | 17 comments I was disappointed by this book. I was getting a Catcher in the Rye vibe at the beginning (which is one of my favorite books), but it fell short for me. It did remind me to pull out my old copy of Catcher. I forget how funny that book is!
Sutter started out interesting but I got bored with him after he met Aimee. I suppose I was being a typical girl and expected that relationship to change him, but alas no.
Also, apparently Oklahoma City is exactly like rural Colorado. It was a little scary how much I could identify with Sutter.

Cara wrote: "I was disappointed by this book. I was getting a Catcher in the Rye vibe at the beginning (which is one of my favorite books), but it fell short for me. It did remind me to pull out my old copy o..."

i hope you can join us for book club tomorrow night b/c I want to discuss this exact thing so perhaps you can comment on the post or tweet along with us!

Nayira (nayimarie) | 18 comments April wrote: "Seeing the movie Wednesday night and I'm REALLY excited to see Miles Teller pull off Sutter. I really think he can!!"

I am too! he is a great actor.

Mary Beth | 8 comments I really didn't feel the need to parent Sutter. Maybe this is bc I've raised 3 boys beyond this age (I'm not nearly as old as that makes me sound! Trust me!) and have learned a lot about teenage boys. I'm not sure. But, I had TONS of issues with most of the adults and had a running negative commentary directed at them as I read. Like, "Stop threatening military school if you're not going to send him!" and "Get up and get your own damn Sprite!"
I also wanted to fix myself a 7 & 7 every time I sat down to read this book. (This is one of my drinks of choice, by the way.)

Nayira (nayimarie) | 18 comments You guys this was so cute!: Miles Teller & Shailene Woodley share a kiss in the first clip from 'The Spectacular Now' tinyurl.com/lqzcsv8

I liked this part in the book.

Jenny | 46 comments April wrote: "Seeing the movie Wednesday night and I'm REALLY excited to see Miles Teller pull off Sutter. I really think he can!!"

Well, how was it?

message 44: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth (bethorne) | 310 comments Mod
Last night we couldn't come up with an actress that resembled Cassidy in our minds. This morning I did. Demi Lovato. Who I don't think is "fat" but is certainly "juicy" and very very pretty. Anyway ... yeah.

Beth wrote: "Last night we couldn't come up with an actress that resembled Cassidy in our minds. This morning I did. Demi Lovato. Who I don't think is "fat" but is certainly "juicy" and very very pretty. Anyway..."

LIKE IT

Here is our live book club chat if you didn't see it yet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjdbx8...

message 47: by Cara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cara | 17 comments I pictured Rebel Wilson as Cassidy. Sutter described her as Marilyn Monroe but plumped up a few sizes and immediately Rebel popped into my mind.

message 48: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Fowers | 13 comments Cara wrote: "I pictured Rebel Wilson as Cassidy. Sutter described her as Marilyn Monroe but plumped up a few sizes and immediately Rebel popped into my mind."

I too think that she LOOKS the part to me, but I haven't seen her do any serious roles and Cassidy has some seriousness to her. That would be interesting...I can't wait to see the movie. "They" usually don't do justice what is in my head, but occasionally "they" surprise me.

Nayira (nayimarie) | 18 comments Have any of you seen the movie? I wish I could watch it :(

I love what Miles says in this interview about the movie's ending compared to the book. Miles Teller talks Sutter of 'The Spectacular Now'

April Crain (abookishbabe) | 12 comments Ok so last weeks screening didn't wrk out so I will be at the screening on Friday morning!!! Yay! Finally!

« previous 1