Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Non-Fiction > Freedom Writer's Diary

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 38 comments Thought I would be the first to post a book in this section. This Diary was a compilation of many students writing and was a wonderful look at race and urban issues.

A movie was made out of this book and was also excellent but it is no substitute for the words of these teenagers that involve you in their lives and struggles.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Oh we LOVE this movie - our whole family. I've had that book on my TBR for some time. The audio version was terrific - according to my husband. He loved it. There were many different readers reading the different diaries.

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela I loved the movie, but could not finish the book.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (mrsfun) | 89 comments Another movie fan here. Have not read the book.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I've read this book. It's really good. It shows that kids can overcome adversities at their school and in their neighborhood.

message 6: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments I just read the book last month, then watched the movie again. WOW. The book was so incredibly powerful! I don't think I really realized how blessed and privileged I was growing up until I read this book. I can only imagine how difficult these kids' lives were!

The movie wasn't 100% accurate, but I thought they did a PHENOMENAL job capturing the feeling and spirit of the lives and experiences of the Freedom Writers. Maybe this seems trivial, but I loved the music in the movie. I watched all the special features, and I thought Will.i.am (of the Black Eyed Peas) did an amazing job with the music he put together and in choosing music that helped give depth to the movie.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 38 comments I agree. It's interesting reading this book and how it deals with "snitching" or "protecting" when it is really upholding the right thing.

It has much significance right now because of what is all over the news right now. There was a gang rape that went on for over 2 hours outside a high school and people were around watching and doing nothing. Someone finally called 911 but I still find the time lapse so shocking.