The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > The City of Ember

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jencroup) I just started reading The City of Ember. A friend of mine recommended them. Has anyone read them? Are they worth the time to read? I don't have much time for reading anymore and don't want to waste my time if they are not that good. I have never seen the movie. From what I read on the back it seems kind of like the Giver which is one of my favorite books.

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz Durham | 58 comments The City of Ember is a fantastic novel. I personally did not care for the second of the four novels, which makes me a bit reluctant to read the third. But The City of Ember was, again, fantastic. ^_^

The movie was not nearly as good as the book, but isn't that always the way?

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments I really liked "City of Ember". The second and third books were ok and worth the read but not as good. "The Prophet of Yonwood" gives you the background of why they built Ember. "The Diamond of Darkhold", the last one, went back to Ember with the kids in the original and was good I thought.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jencroup) I'm about half way through with the first book and I like it so far. I have like a million books in my to read pile and need to start getting through them, but working a full time job and another 20 hrs a week at another job doesn't give you much time to read.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments Jen wrote: "I'm about half way through with the first book and I like it so far. I have like a million books in my to read pile and need to start getting through them, but working a full time job and another ...

That's for sure Jen. I only work part time, I sub in libraries for a school district, and it does take away from my reading time. You might think I could read on the job, but there are other things to be done so I have to do that. Good luck in your reading!

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (jencroup) Paula wrote: "Jen wrote: "I'm about half way through with the first book and I like it so far. I have like a million books in my to read pile and need to start getting through them, but working a full time job ..."

I just wish I could stay home and do nothing but read!

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments I know. My time of subbing is coming to an end because of summer and I'm really looking forward to it!

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen (jencroup) I don't blame you, I feel like the only thing I do besides work is eat and sleep and I just want to sit down with a really good book. I just finished City of Embers! I loved it and it was really easy to read so it didn't really take up much time. I thought the beginning was really similar to The Giver because of the getting your life jobs at 12 years old. Also that these two found out how bad things really were because of their jobs. They wanted to get out and get to a better place. I really enjoyed it! It makes you realize that you don't have it as bad as you might think

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments Good Jen, I thought it was really good also. I loved "The Giver" also. Have you seen the City movie yet? I thought they did a pretty good job with it although the book is better of course.

message 10: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassielo) | 42 comments I'm about halfway through City of Ember too, and it is a light, easy read.

The job assignment reminded me of a Family Guy episode where Peter was mayor - picking jobs out of a hat? Hilariously inefficient.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (jencroup) I completely agree that picking assignments out of a hat is hilarously inefficient! I mean what do you do if someone that can't run because of health reasons or whatever gets messenger? I never watched that Family Guy episode. I can only imagine what they did with that. There are so many things that they could do!

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I just saw the movie, had forgotten it was based on a book. I don't usually go for YA fiction so I don't know if I'll read them, although from the comments these seem pretty good. I thought some of the plot devices and characters were a little simplistic in the movie, maybe this is not so true in the books? That would make me want to read them.

I also got a laugh out of the job placement and it reminded me of The Giver too. But, I loved how no one cared if they traded...hehe

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen (jencroup) It was the same age as the giver, but the giver was picked by somone and there was a lot of thought but into their jobs. They really only build up Lina and Doon in the first book. I leave them kind of simple in the book (at least I think so) but there are 4 books and I have only finished the first one.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (affie) | 371 comments I enjoyed this series. A friend and I read them around the same time, and when we finished each book, it was with the idea that they were good books, but not really anything spectacular. But, the more we talked about them, the more we both loved them. The author has an amazing grasp on human nature. I loved discussing these after reading them, because it feels true to life, in an impossible way. But, you are able to feel and believe the interactions of the characters.
They really depict the way good intentions, or good people can really turn around and become something horrible.
I would definitely say that these books are worth reading.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jess0702) | 68 comments I read this book with my students this year, and they liked it a lot too. Definitely worth reading.