Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

I Am the Messenger
This topic is about I Am the Messenger
I Am the Messenger discussions > Future after the book

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
What do you think the future holds for Ed and his friends?

Mikaela (loverdogmish) is this for people who have finished the book???

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes it is for when you have finished. Sorry about that!

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well I think that Marv is going to get to be a dad after all. I don't think Ed and Audrey will stay together. I don't think she can do it. She seems to need to date a lot of people. I do think maybe Ed and his mom will get along a little better.

Anna I agree that I think Ed and Audrey won't ever be a true couple. Perhaps one of the outcomes might that they won't remain friends--Ed would always remain loyal to her and could live with not being her lover, but if Ed continued to try to become more than a cabdriver, she might not be able to handle it. Marv would possibly end up with Suzanne, but at least be with Miranda. Not sure about Richie--I think the first step is succeeding at a job, a place to live (baby steps). Ed and his mom's relationship will evolve--I think he will continue to help her, but will question her.

I don't think the group will necessary stay intact--they will have fond memories of the time they spent, but will eventually build their own lives.

Oh and Ed will always have a dog :)

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think that Ed's mom and he will always have a strained relationship. How do you go from talking to your son like that one minute to being nice to him the next. I do think she is a poor mom even though they get along enough.

I love your point about Ed always having a dog. Sometimes I think I will always have cats. But then again one hasn't passed away on me yet so I don't know how hard that will be!

message 7: by Yasmin (new) - added it

Yasmin I agree with Angie: Ed and his mom will always have a strained relationship, but maybe Ed won't mind it as much, because now he knows why she treats him that way.

Ritchie will always be lazy, even if he eventually has a house and a permanent-ish job and stuff.

(As adults, did you guys think this book was stupid at the first glance? My aunt was looking at it, because we usually like the same books, and she thought that it was a dumb idea.)

Anna Once he received his assignments I enjoyed the book--I didn't really understand how the robbery fit (until the end). As an adult it made me a little envious--if I could have a "do-over" would I make different choices and help more people sooner and maybe look for the brokeness in my friends? The Ed/Marv situation--I think often times things don't quite add up and we don't ask questions.

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well I did not think it was a dumb idea. Some of the assignments confused me. I thought they went from adult situations to young adult situations. Adult-the woman being raped every night. Young adult-hanging Christmas lights. But I didn't think it was a dumb. Infact I liked it. It was almost like there was a mystery to it. What is the next assignment, the next card, who is behind it?

message 10: by Yasmin (new) - added it

Yasmin Okay, thank you. I was just wondering about that..

message 11: by Barb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barb Lawrence | 7 comments The audio version of this is really well done--I'm so glad I listened. I thought it was an interesting book, but why exactly is it labeled YA? Call me conservative, but within the first 10 minutes there are three cuss words and the expression "blow me". Just seemed inappropriate. But then I read Fear of Flying in 9th grade, so whatever.

message 12: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well I also noticed that the kids that were characters were in their early 20s. So I thought it was kinda older then young adults. The curse words didn't bother me so much.

Michelle (pinklets) | 23 comments I'm a teacher, and unfortunately students younger than these characters are using that kind of language. While I'm uncertain as whether or not it's appropriate, I think teens will find that relatable and in turn READ! That is the main objective. After all, they're probably hearing and seeing the same, if not worse, on myspace or facebook. Ok-- I guess this isn't really the right topic for this post, sorry!! :0)

As far as what happened to the characters after the book, I hope they all found happiness.
Here is what I imagine: I think Marv was able to father his child and have a relationship with his ex-girlfriend. In turn, that made him a nicer, calmer person. I think longing for that relationship left him bitter; he was able to be a better friend. Ed and Audrey found love, so that made them better and stronger. Ed was able to continue his education and became a librarian. He reads books to Audrey every night when she gets back from driving her cab. He stayed in the area to take care of his mom, just like he did for Milla. She still cusses at him, but less often. Richie took Ed's place as a driver when Ed went back to school. The Doorman is still at the door and stinking up the joint.