Q&A with Beth Groundwater discussion

Who are your favorite authors?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 216 comments Mod
Okay, I'll share my favorite books & authors, esp. mystery authors, then I'd like to hear about yours. Goodreads is all about sharing good book suggestions, right?

I was a voracious reader as a child, especially of mysteries like Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, and I still read a wide variety of books. I'm in a Book Club that meets monthly to discuss literary and women's fiction. Some of my favorite reads from that group were The Heretic's daughter by Kathleen Kent, The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult, The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, Bel Canto by Ann Patchett, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

I read a lot of mysteries, of course. Some of my favorite mystery authors are Western writers who I've gotten to know at local writing groups and conferences: C.J Box, Kathy Brandt, Christine Goff, Maggie Sefton, Robert Spiller, and Margaret Coel. I also enjoy light-hearted series by Alexander McCall Smith, Donna Andrews, and Tim Cockey. My all-time favorite mystery writer is Sharyn McCrumb, and I'm collecting all her books.

I read romance and science fiction occasionally and have enjoyed Diana Gabaldon, J.D. Robb, Anne McCaffrey and Douglas Adams. So, as you can see from this answer--and my books list, my tastes are eclectic.

message 2: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) I mostly read mysteries, historical fiction, fantasy or science fiction, plus an occasional bit of non-fiction or romance.

My favorite mystery authors are Robert Parker, Agatha Christie, Edward Marston, and most recently Marta Stephens. My fantasy faves are Guy Gavriel Kay and Neil Gaiman.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 4 comments Jonathan Kellerman, James Patterson, Kathy reichs, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich just to name a few.
I like medical mystery, Detective and crime stories, anything humorous, suspense thrillers and yes Chick-lit.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 22 comments I love reading those harlan coben books

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 2 comments I have too many to list! Like you, I like a wide variety but some I like are Janet Evanovich (her Stephanie Plum series - I'm looking forward to the movie of One For the Money; also Mary Daheim (her bed and breakfast series; Diane Mott Davidson (Goldy series); Cleo Coyle (coffee series); Lorraine Bartlet (books store books :-) and many, many others - love em all - happy reading and writing in 2012 to all of us, readers and writers alike :-)
Jackie

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 216 comments Mod
Thanks, Christine and Jackie, for your recent suggestions!

message 7: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 27 comments I can read children's books, YA books, romance, syfy, mystery/thriller, procedural, forensic, FBI/Cop/Detective and some Contemporary fiction. I'm all over the place with my titles too.... Depends on the mood

I like the dark dark mysteries all the way to the light fluffy ones!!!!

a few of my favs:

Alex Kava
J.D. Robb
Faye Kellerman
Jonathan Kellerman
James Patterson
Michael Connelly
Carol O'Connell
Janet Evanovich
Kathy Reichs
Karin Slaughter
Chelsea Cain
Stuart Woods
Jennifer Crusie
Johanna Lindsey
Tess Gerritsen
Nancy Martin
Erica Spindler
Joanne Fluke
Dana Stabenow

I really could go on and on and on and on...... So many great authors and not enough time to read them all.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 22 comments Wow those are alot of authors lol

message 9: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 27 comments LOL and I wasn't even done with my list. ;o)

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 22 comments Oh I'm sorry lol

message 11: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 27 comments Don't be sorry.... I just have too many authors I love!

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 22 comments Well go on with your list lol

message 13: by Beth (last edited Mar 19, 2012 09:18PM) (new)

Beth | 216 comments Mod
I like your list, too, Magpie67, and I hope you'll add me to it! ;-)

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 22 comments Aww thanks beth

message 15: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 27 comments Of course you are on the list..... just thought I would add the others you might know or don't...

;o)

All My Mayhem authors are on the list!!!!! Without a doubt!

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 22 comments I love to read those j.d. robb books

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth | 216 comments Mod
Hi Christine,
I, too, loved the early books in the J.D. Robb series. Roarke is quite the guy! I found that I tired of them after reading about 4 or 5, though. That's a common problem with series--how to keep readers' interest up over many stories about the same characters.

message 18: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Diehl | 2 comments I love Elizabeth George although I've not read her msot recent book. I also admire Robert Parker for his ability to say much by writing little.

message 19: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 27 comments I keep my interest with the JD Robb books by reading maybe one a month sometimes two as I'm hooked on them right now.... but inbetween I'm reading other stuff...

I have to read multiple books while writing a weekly column for my readers in Avoca. :o)

I read several different genres a month, but truly love to read my mysteries the most, whether dark or fluffy!

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 22 comments Have you read those harlan coben books?

message 21: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 27 comments Not his series.... but a couple of stand alones

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 22 comments I love reading those harlan coben books