Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The Lives of Others

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barb (new)

Barb | 6 comments Another foreign film (this time in German). In 1984 East Berlin, an agent of the secret police, conducting surveillance on a writer and his lover, finds himself becoming increasingly absorbed by their lives (www.imdb.com). Very well done and intriguing. You become just as absorbed as the agent.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I loved this movie! My friend and I watched it a couple of months ago at her house and we didn't speak during the entire film. You're right, Barb, you do become totally absorbed in it.

I don't usually watch subtitled films because I find that the subtitles distract me and I miss what's happening on the screen but I had no problem with this film whatsoever.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

amasing film. definitely deserved the oscar for best foreign film it won last year....

message 4: by Nada (new)

Nada (nusch) | 6 comments I loved this film. It was quiet yet powerful and the performances were subttle and brilliant. Some aspects of it reminded me a bit of Bradbury's Fahreinheit 451 and others of Jose Saramago's All the Names.

message 5: by Tamma (new)

Tamma (tammadcomcastnet) | 4 comments Yes,I agree. It stayed with me long after I left the theater.

message 6: by K (new)

K | 39 comments I think this got a tiny bit slow around the middle, but I too thought it was very worthwhile.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen I loved this movie! Yes, it was slow in parts, but that's the point. How much "action" can you have when the story is of someone listening in on the lives of others. Sorry, I really did try to use a different term there, but I gues that's why they named it as they did. :-) It's hard to say much more without giving away the story and I hate to do that to someone who hasn't yet had the pleasure of this wonderful film.

A comment was made about subtitles distracting from the movie. Trust me, you'll get used to that and it won't be any different than a language you understand. I've been watching foreign movies for years and at first I felt a little distracted but after a few it's much, much better. Plus I find so many of the movies are over the top better than most American made films.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

yes, please don't be put off my subtitles (it is so much better than seeing a dubbed movie).... seeing foreign films opens up a whole new world, just as reading books from other countries does.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Very well put, Lisa! A dubbed movie drives me insane.

message 10: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments I agree, I've been hooked on foreign films of numerous genres for a while now. The Live of Others is a really good movie, you go through a gamut of emotions during the film.