Michigander Diaspora discussion

love winter?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (new)

Colleen I have discovered in my late years that I miss REAL winter. I was raised in Western Michigan for my first 17 years, so I was intimately familiar with fulll-tilt winter - snow, drifts, storms, ice, tire chains, shoveling, snow angels, sledding, tobogganing, hot chocolate, much anticipated school snow days,and everything else cold and frosty. I have spent most of the years since then in upstate New York, which ostensibly has winter, too, but it has severely lacked in the past 10-15 years. I have considered moving where winter is more serious, especially after watching a TV show about avalanche dogs, in several-foot deep snow in Canada. I miss getting totally bundled up and going out to enjoy nose-hair stingingly invigorating air and exercise and then coming in, shedding layers, and getting warmed until toasty. We do not have enough snow to make my snowblower earn its keep. And I am sorry, cold air with a wisp of snow on the frozen grass is NOT winter. I am amazed to discover I am a winterlover - I complained about it with the best of them. I know, I could just move west to the Buffalo area or north to the Adirondacks. But still, I would like to wake up to find two feet of snow in MY driveway! Agree? Disagree? Do you miss winter?? Chills, Colleen

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris (scrapplechingon) | 3 comments Mod
I don't miss winter. But I also think that winter has been disappearing everywhere.