LOST Book Club discussion

Welcome

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Ted Rohe (vangelicmonk) | 42 comments Mod
I want to welcome everyone that joined the LOST book club. I'm always happy to meet other fans of LOST and even more happy to meet those who are interested in the books displayed in LOST.

Just curious how many books (from my list or a more exhaustive list) from LOST have you read? I have read: Bad Twin, Of Mice and Men, and A Wrinkle in Time. I plan on reading more soon.

message 2: by Wyrmia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Wyrmia | 1 comments From your list, I've read: A Brief History of Time, Catch-22 (one of my favorites), Watership Down, A Wrinkle in Time, The Brothers Karamazov, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, and The Fountainhead. I think I may have read the Ambrose Bierce one in school, but I don't really remember it.

I plan on getting a hold of The Third Policeman soon. I'm really excited to read it, since I'm also interested in Irish literature.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (ralieghfingers) oops...i just added a book to the list. now reading this it seems like you're just limiting it to books featured on the show. sorry...

anyway, the book is "the invention of morel" and i added it because as i started really getting into lost i was reminded of this book, which is one of my favorites. so...maybe it belongs ina different section of the page?

message 4: by Ted (new)

Justin that is fine. There are a lot of books that are not "featured" on the show specifically, but still relevant. Books that remind you of the show or aspects of the show, books that the writers of the show read, books that inspired the writers, books that the fans of LOST seem to like etc. My main focus is books "featured" on the show, but I'm leaving it open so we all enjoy it. I will have to check out that book. Thanks!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyfishgirl) | 2 comments hey! I just found this group, and I am going to share it with my husband. His goal is to read all the books, but we didn't know there was a club. I've read A Wrinkle In Time (in grade school, but plan to reread) and Of Mice and Men. I've plans to read Watership Down, and Bad Twin by the Lost fictional character Gary Troup. I've noticed that is not on your list, should it? :)

message 6: by Ted (new)

Amy,

I am with you and your husband on that idea. I plan on trying to read every book eventually. I actually read "Bad Twin" and I have no idea why I didn't include it. I thought I had, but I guess I didn't. However, I did include it now.

This club isn't too organized like picking a book and everyone reading it, but if you want to try that let me know. "A Wrinkle in Time" would be great to re-read for me too. It would great to get insight about the book while a few of us read it.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 2 comments I'm so glad I found this group! Last week I was rewatching the Season 3 DVD (to get ready for the premier), and it had a Lost Book Club section in the extras. I thought that would be such a good idea, but didn't know if I could find anyone else to do it, and here you are!!! I'm a bit nervous to reread some of those classics, though; I could never get into those when I had to read them for school.

message 8: by Ted (last edited Feb 04, 2008 08:42PM) (new)

Thanks Jackie for the comment. If you do read any of the books. Click on the book through this group and post your thoughts specifically for this group or make a new thread. We would love to read your thoughts on it's association with LOST or thoughts in general.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Hey, I dont know why, But i just found this group on here, and I must say that watching LOST and READING are my two absolute favorite pasttimes... and I am so happy to finally find a group to tie it all together.
(Im a little saddened that I wasnt the first to think of it actually!)

I was on LOSTPEDIA and found the entire list of all books referenced by the show, and i am slowly going through them to see which i will run out and buy. VALIS sounds really interesting... So that may be on my next shopping list.

I tryed reading Catch 22 and couldnt get further than 40 some odd pages. wasnt for me. Read all the Left Behind books, Lord of the Flies (back in school), Of Mice and Men (back in school), The Stand, A Wrinkle In Time (in school). Some of the books that are referenced just seem odd... But i am always looking to expand my to-read list...

Anyhow, i wanted to say hi to everyone! So hello!

message 10: by Ted (new)

Lori,

Welcome. Thank you for all your great comments. I look forward to hearing more insight from you in the coming episodes.

I was just a surprised I was the one to start this on Goodreads. I guess I came to this site (through a friend) near it's start. I was very surprised it had not already been started.

I have really found some great and interesting books through LOST, but I'm sure there are a few that I would not be all that interested in. :)

message 11: by whichwaydidshego? (last edited Mar 07, 2008 12:55AM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) Another book club here on goodreads based on a TV show I love? Yea!! I'm a happy girl.

I've been wanting to read A Wrinkle in Time for ages, and even have it on my shelf. Maybe I'll have to pull it out later this month!

Very cool idea, this.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I just went out and bought The Mysterious Island yesterday. Its a biggier book than im used to, i plan on tackling that one sometime this week... its about 5 people and dog who crash land thier balloon on a strange island... hmmm... very much like lost.

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (kalykokatt) | 4 comments Just discovered goodreads, but I've been a LOST fan and been trying to read all the books from the beginning. Currently, I'm finishing A Brief History of Time and trying to get my hands on Carrie for something a little lighter after finishing Atlas Shrugged and trying to get through BHT. ;)

I'm so excited to find like minds. Yay!

message 14: by Ted (new)

Sandra welcome!!! Wow, you are committed. Of all the books I think most Losties may avoid it is that of BHT. lol. I have seen a documentary on that book and it was interesting, but also complicated. Cosmology is not the easiest thing to wrap one's brain around. We all look forward to your insights on Lost and the books associated with it. :)

message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Ford | 4 comments Hello all! So I too am planning on reading all of the lost books in hopes of figuring out what the hegs is going on on the island. I have read quite a few of the list in the past, but hopefully will reread them so that I can see how they relate to the show. So far, I have only read a few, but I have noticed a trend of books being mentioned within books. I wonder if this could have something to do with various characters or situations in the episodes.

In Stephen King's "The Stand," one of the characters (Stuart Redman I think) mentions the book "Watership Down" a few times. I didn't take a huge notice at the time, but thought back to it later. The first time he mentions it, he refers to a word I was unfamiliar with - I think it was "tharn." Sorry if I've got it wrong. What it was though, was when something gets into an uncontrolled state of panic and freezes up, like a deer in headlights. This might be similar to the state that most islanders get into when they run into the smoke creature.

As I said, I've jsut started into this list, and these are kind of first impresssions! Please don't judge me to much yet.

Also, I am reading Madeline L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time," and one of the characters, Mrs. Who, has quoted Shakespear's "The Tempest" a few times (I believe this is the title of an episode.)

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on."
Prospero in the Tempest

"...For that he was a spirit too delicate
To act their earthly and abhorr'd commands,
refusing their grand hests, they did confine him
By help of their most potent ministers,
And in their most unmitigable rage,
Into a cloven pine; within which rift
Imprisoned, he didst painfully remain...."

I haven't really thought to much about these quotes, and I have never read "The Tempest," but I do find it interesting that in the first two books I have read from the list, they both quote other works from the show.

"

message 16: by Ted (new)

Hey Ryan,

Welcome! wow. that is a very astute observation there. Thank you for pointing that out. Now I will have to think back to the few books I have read and see. I think I'll actually start a thread on this. A great idea.

-Ted,

message 17: by Somebody (new)

Somebody (vkvk) | 3 comments I just realized I never posted in the Welcome thread! Hi everyone! Anyways, I have a book suggestion. After seeing The Constant and thinking a little bit more about the kind of time travel Desmond was doing seemingly with his consciousness only, it reminded me of the book Time and Again by Jack Finney. In that book, the main character learns to travel through time just by thinking about it. He sort of mentally wills himself to be in a specific time and place and then he's there. It's been a few years since I read the book, but I remember that the main character ended up learning this by agreeing to become part of a secret experiment that was taking place in what appeared to be an abandoned factory in NYC. He is selected to travel to a specific time period (the 1800s) and trained to hypnotize himself to go there. The "company" is also training others to go to different time periods. They train by being put in environments identical to what they would see if they were actually in the time and place they're being sent to but he becomes adept enough to time travel from anywhere. Eventually the main character decides that the man who is running the experiments is evil and tries to stop him by changing the past. He also falls in love with a woman in the past and has to choose between living in his present or hers. Sorta reminds me of Desmond in that regard too. Anyway, just my two cents on another book that might fit for the show.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello all,

I am so excited to see a LOST book club here. Over the next year, I want to read through the LOST book list. I'm going to start with A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. I already own it, so it's within easy reach.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Did I just see something about Stephen Hawking dying recently, or am I confused?

message 20: by Tulara (new)

Tulara (iberostar) I read that he was hospitalized.

message 21: by Catherine (last edited May 01, 2009 11:44AM) (new)

Catherine | 4 comments Hi I've never introduced myself either. The books mentioned on LOST have been really good so far. I've read Watership Down, Brave New World, etc. haha just kidding, I just checked the ABC website and Brave New world was not one of the books. oh well, but I have read Heart Of Darkness, Lord of the Flies and some others that were listed.
I like how the books complement the story. One in particular was Juliet having Carrie at her book club and then she kind of go nuts with regards to Ben and tries to kill him (through Jack). Does anyone else see these patterns?

message 22: by Russell (new)

Russell (russellweems) | 4 comments Sorry if I am reiterating something said, but LOST producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse have stressed again this season that LOST is greatly influenced by Stephen King's The Stand. The whole thing with Jughead may have parallels to that novel. So it may be good to read or reread that one. It's my all time favorite King novel.

message 23: by Tulara (new)

Tulara (iberostar) I love the Stand - did you read the extended version? I also like thee movie - but the book is MUCH better! I am mourning Daniel this week. Don't remember any books shown this week.

message 24: by Russell (new)

Russell (russellweems) | 4 comments Janice wrote: "I love the Stand - did you read the extended version? I also like thee movie - but the book is MUCH better! I am mourning Daniel this week. Don't remember any books shown this week."
Yeah, poor Daniel, but I don't think we have seen the last of him. And yes, I did read the extended version. Very cool.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh wow. I'm going to re-read The Stand now. The season finale killed me, in a good way. I can't wait for season six. I can't believe it's the final season! :(

message 26: by Russell (new)

Russell (russellweems) | 4 comments Mary Christin wrote: "Oh wow. I'm going to re-read The Stand now. "

Did you catch the parallel with Jack and the bomb and Trashcan Man in The Stand? I think the Jacob/Man in Black thing is going to have Stand parallels as well.

message 27: by Fox (new)

Fox (foxhill) One of the parallels I saw was Locke/The Man in Black (The Dark Tower) series when he was sitting there cowled on the beach..