Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Rear Window

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
Watched this with my 11 year old daughter. Great to see someone enjoy such a classic movie for the first time. The restoration of the movie makes it look as fresh as if it came out today.

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison This is a fabulous movie! Good for you Ed for watching this one, rather than "Disturbia". I love all of Grace Kelley's outfits...

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments My favorite Hitchcock film, actually. Here's a fun literary / pop culture fact for you. The musician who later wins the love of the woman next door is Ross Bagdasarian, a comedian and musician who became better known as David Sevile, creator of Alvin and the Chipmunks...
The only thing that may confuse viewers these days is that there was a time when air conditioning was pretty rare...

message 4: by Karen (last edited Jan 26, 2008 10:15PM) (new)

Karen I'm a big fan of Hitchcock, no one makes movies the way he did. Rear Window is so great, it has you on the edge of your seat the whole time, I love the suspense.

Robert, that's such a cool bit of trivia! That made me look up more about him. Like that tomorrow (Jan 27th) is his birthday and that one of the songs he wrote was Rosemary Clooney's big hit, Come On-a My House. Wow, thanks for inspiring me to learn something new today...at the 11th hour of they day!

message 5: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (mother_of_dinosaurs) This is a fantastic movie. Must see for any Grace Kelly fan.

message 6: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 46 comments Rear Window was excellent. I like Vertigo much better.

message 7: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (musshel) I love Rear Window. Grace Kelly and James Stewart were wonderful together.

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 8 comments This is in my top five. I can watch it over and over and never be bored. Two of the best actors ever, paired with one of the best directors of all time. You can't go wrong with that kind of set up.

My ex-boyfriend super film buff told me that they had to cut from the kiss sequence to satisfy the ratings board. It was just too sexy. Here's a link to that kiss scene:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhynlS...

Also, here's some more fun trivia about the movie from IMDB, like the case that the film was actually based on, etc. :http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047396/t...

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i'm a HUGE hitchcock fan and this is one of my favorites. another great one is "dial m for murder." good stuff for sure.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie This movie is great, and the gowns are one reason to watch. To think that women would dress like that everyday. they are beautiful outfits. i wouldn't like to dress like that everyday.. but they are fun to look at on screen.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Colleen, that's funny...the kiss too sexy! How times have changed. It's amusing to read what was considered too risque in the past. Such as the fact that a married couple had to be filmed in separate beds and then when that was changed and they could be in the same bed, one of them had to have one leg on the floor. So funny! Thanks for the YouTube link. I think the innuendos in the conversation were sexier than the kiss. :-)

Rachel, yes, "Dial M for Murder"...another great one!

There hasn't been anyone like Hitchcock, he was a master and put more into his films than many understand.

When I lived in Phoenix I used to drive by the old hotel where part of "Psycho" was filmed and it always warmed my heart and made me smile.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) One of my favorite Hitchcock films is Rope.

message 13: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
I agree with the Rope and Dial M for Murder comments. We saw Dial M for Murder on the stage and loved it and then saw the film...both were great. I have Rope saved to watch again.

message 14: by Alison (last edited Feb 06, 2008 06:40AM) (new)

Alison My favorite Hitchcock is Psycho. No matter how many times I watch it, it's still good, and manages to give me the creeps. Hitch is partly responsible, but also Anthony Perkins. Great performance.

The first time I saw it was on the big screen in a little summer film series they do here. People were coming in dressed as Mrs. Bates, and wearing shower caps. It was such a great experience. And I didn't know the story...so I was genuinely shocked and screamed out loud more than once. Probably another reason it's my favorite.

message 15: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mrazfan) | 19 comments I love Disturbia. Yes, similar to Rear Window but a complete different movie. I love Hitchcock & will always enjoy all of the classics. But some 'remakes' are also good.

message 16: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 46 comments The name of the magaizne escapes me (I think it might be Interview), but they photographed famous scenes with current day actors/actresses. I think it was about 10 spreads. They featured Naomi Watts as Marnie, my favorite was Keira Knightly and Jennifer Jason Leigh in Rebecca. Check it out.

message 17: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mrazfan) | 19 comments I saw them!! It is the new Vanity Fair mag. The annual Hollywood edition.

message 18: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mrazfan) | 19 comments I have to say that Marnie is my favorite Hitchcock movie. Creeped me out with the red thing. Also young Sean Connery, yummy!

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie http://justjared.buzznet.com/2008/02/...

here are the pics if you want to see them

message 20: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments Awesome movie!! Even when you know that the guy killed his wife, and you can picture what is going to happen, Hitchcock keeps you sitting at the edge of your chair! Great movie!

message 21: by Bree (new)

Bree Loved Rear Window...I want Grace Kelly's nightgown...ooo la la I love just sitting there yelling...run run he's coming.

I was trepedaciaous to watch Disturbia because I like Rear Window so much, but i LOVED it. Shia is a great actor and the storyline was great and just as suspenseful in that "omg he coming" way. Whoever played the bad guy he was really creepy, so he did a great job.

message 22: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Rear Window is certainly one of my favorite Hitchkok movies, although I wouldn't rate it at the very top. I still prefer North by Northwest and Psycho, which created it's own film genre. Still, it's lots of fun and Jimmy Stewart was always a great actor for Hitch to work with.And Raymond Burr makes a very credible villian. Although if you've only seen the 50's version of The Man Who Knew Too Much, I'd highly recommend the original 30's version with Peter Lorre. As always, there's lots of humor, but nobody could or can build tension like Hitch. What's really amazing here is how well he works on such a restrained set. Not quite as restricted as Life Boat, of course but you can see he loved to challenge himself technically in films. Life Boat presented a personal challenge to Hitchkok who always appeared in his own films, so he shows up as a sillouette in a weight loss ad in a magazine.

Disturbia was fun, but nobody can touch the Master.