Movies We've Just Watched discussion

ACTION Flicks > Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie (last edited Jan 26, 2008 03:56PM) (new)

Angie How is everyone feeling about the new Indiana Jones movie? I am excited about it, I think it might be a fun movie and I love Shia Lebeouf. I think he will have a great career. This website has 4 pictures of Indiana from each movie so you can see how he's aged:

http://www.theraider.net/

another good picture:

http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/...

you will have to copy and paste that last link i can't get it to hyperlink for some reason. enjoy!

message 2: by Kai (new)

Kai (ky02121) | 51 comments I can't wait,I have faith that it will turn out decent.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Kelley I have been waiting for this movie for years and years. I am so excited about it!

Susan
How's my heart? http://jezebelsk.blogspot.com

message 4: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 11 comments Grew up on a steady fare of Indy...Now longing to take my kids along to share the magic that only HF can weave!

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I'm really excited about it. I hope it'll be a good addition to the series.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Angie:

Thanks for that last link (well, all the links but the last one especially ;-)). HF is lookin' pretty good for an old(er) guy. And the story doesn't sound bad either :-)

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ladd (ashleyladd) | 13 comments I adore Indiana Jones and I always longed to see more of him and Marion. They had such chemistry.

I read a magazine article about the newest movie the other day and I've been thrilled ever since. I'd heard a 4th was coming, but was giving up hope.

I'm ready to buy the ticket now. I can't wait to see it!

message 9: by Ray (new)

Ray | 55 comments I love the movies, in fact I used to have a made up hat and run into walls as a kid. I guess it was my way o thinking I was Indiana. I think with the addition of Lebeouf, he is geared for the younger crowd that knows the name. I hope this movie does well at the box office and even more is an all around great one. I will buy my ticket weeks in advance and look for that damn hat and wear it, I just hope my girlfriend lets me wear it. Lets see Indiana kick some ass!

message 10: by Bree (new)

Bree I always liked the Indiana Jones movies... and I love Harrison Ford and Shia LaBouf so I'm excited about that aspect. I think both are great actors and of course both are easy on the eyes :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

One of the few movie series that works! I absolutely CAN NOT wait until it comes to the theatres!

message 12: by Joy (new)

Joy | 8 comments They will be premiering the trailer (or clips from the movie)
on Good Morning America thursday morning.

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie I will definitely have to TIVO that! Can't wait to see it!

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (jpaulduncan) | 68 comments CAN NOT WAIT

message 15: by Ray (new)

Ray | 55 comments Just saw the trailer and it looks like along the lines of all the other 3. I think it looked great, try to youtube it

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie http://www.indianajones.com/site/inde...

click on this link to watch the trailer! looks like it is going to be a great movie!

message 17: by Kai (new)

Kai (ky02121) | 51 comments Caught the teaser today,looks promising but Dark Knight will be King this summer.

message 18: by Ray (new)

Ray | 55 comments Don't forget Iron Man!

message 19: by Serena (new)

Serena | 44 comments I loved the Indiana Jones movies. So, I' a little afraid of disappointment. Think I'll not hype myself up to much on it and then hopefully be pleasantly surprised. We'll see.

message 20: by Angie (new)

Angie http://downloads.paramount.com/mp/ind...

here is a new tv spot for the movie.. check it out!

message 21: by Fazal (new)

Fazal Miles | 5 comments I'm happy see Harrison Ford is flexing his action
flix no how for a film series thats worth it.

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie I love all the films also. And my favorite is The Last Crusade. I just thought that one was so clever. The next for me is Radiers and then Temple of Doom. I really hope the new one is just as good. I have already seen people in line for it when I went to Speed Racer. I have an Indiana Jones hat from Disneyland that you know I will have to wear to the theater.

message 23: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) Paraphernalia at the movie theatre? Angie, you are die-hard :) I honestly couldn't tell you how many times I saw Temple of Doom growing up - that "monkey brains for dessert" scene was classic! Harrison's young asian co-star was so funny, too. Shia LeBouf is a cutie with acting chops to match - he held my attention in Disturbia. I think he would be a great pick to take over the Indiana Jones franchise.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 11 comments Saw it tonight since movies some movies open earlier in Germany. I have to say for the first 15 minutes, I thought they had someone dub Harrison Ford's voice, but then it started to sound normal or I just got used to it. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but they really did manage to capture the feel and action of the earlier movies as well as the humor. I am not wicked crazy about the actual reason things go down the way they do regarding the actual quest...but all in all, it was a good ride and they managed to account for the lost time pretty well. I was pleasantly surprised given my initial response of "You have got to be kidding?!?" when I first heard they were really going to make a fourth one.

message 25: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Can't wait.My hubby and I are going this week-end to see it.I read any info with a little trepidation as I don't want it ruined for me.

message 26: by Angie (new)

Angie I am so there tomorrow at 9:45 AM, first showing of the day. I would go to the midnight showing but I don't want to be tired during the movie. I want to see it wide awake!

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I went to the midnight show last night. I didn't love it as much as I love the others, but it was a lot of fun and worth seeing.

message 28: by Angie (new)

Angie I really liked the movie. They did a real good job with it.

Spoilers:

I loved the whole crystal skull thing, and the adding of the alien theme. I thought that was cool. And I really thought it was fun to have Indiana's first love back. I thought the action was just right. I did think the part with the nuclear bomb didn't really flow with the movie. Otherwise it was great!

message 29: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I just saw it & I won't spoil it, but I will say I was very disappointed in it.

message 30: by Roos (new)

Roos | 3 comments I watched the movie last night...and It's was awesome and funny...It's so Indiana...Lucas and Spielberg was great did this movie. Even early,I hope Mr.Connery would like to join with the adventure.

message 31: by Cathy Berry (new)

Cathy Berry (berrygirl55) | 30 comments Just saw this movie & loved it. My husband liked it, but says he's recommending Ironman over Crystal Skull. I'm not sure.... Ironman may have been a better film, but there was something so satisfying about reconnecting with Indy!

message 32: by Holli (new)

Holli We saw this movie yesterday and I wasn't impressed to say the least.....the dialogue wasn't good...the plot was just ok....even the action scenes weren't that exciting. We loved the other Indy movies when we were younger so this was a big let down for my boyfriend and I.

message 33: by George (new)

George | 951 comments I saw it last night and really enjoyed it, on a comic book level. These were intended to be Saturday matinee fare and it worked for me on that level. It was great to see Karen Allen back again, and she really threw herself into the role. Cate Blanchett was fabulous as Spalko. I've been reading that the Communist Party in Russia is trying to keep the movie out of Russia, which is a bit of a giggle. There's actually a fair amount of subtext criticizing the US Cold War mentality and paranoia. While the action is too over the top to take seriously, there's no reason to take the film too seriously. My wife wasn't crazy about it, but for me, it was lots of fun and a great addition to the series. Just hope there are more.

message 34: by Kai (new)

Kai (ky02121) | 51 comments I liked it better than Iron Man.

message 35: by Holli (new)

Holli I liked Iron Man MUCH more than this one!! I know its not a movie to be taken seriously...i think I was just expecting more from it since it had been so long since the others were made.

message 36: by John (new)

John | 14 comments I went in with lowered expectations,after hearing all the mixed reviews. I thought it was as good as "Temple of Doom" (meaning pretty good, but not as good as "Raiders" or "Crusade"). The movie seemed forced and a bit off-kilter to me in the first sequence, until the part with the refrigerator. Then it was fine, and perfectly enjoyable. (Loved how they brought back Karen Allen.) They will never make a move as great as "Raiders" in this series (You can only be new once.), but I thought this was a pretty good sequel.

message 37: by Cookiesue9x (new)

Cookiesue9x (cookiesue) | 21 comments I had read and heard several reviews. I thought the movie was fun. No, the plat didn't make a whole lot of sense, but, is it supposed to?
A perfect popcorn movie, with old friends (Indy et all), on a HOT , HUMID Texas afternoon!!
No NOT as good as Raiders, but still fun !!!

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) It was the least action packed of the Indiana Jones films. It had the same formula, it was a bit more predictable and slower paced. If you go into the theatre expecting Raiders, you will be disappointed. I liked this film more than Indy 3, which is the only Indy film that I looked at my watch.

message 39: by Tera Marie (new)

Tera Marie As far as it not being as action-packed, well we have to remember Indy (as well as Harrison Ford) have aged. I like how Indy acknowledges this right in the beginning when he is swinging to catch up with a truck and ends up going into the windshield of the one behind him. Cate Blanchett was excellent and the reunion between Indy and Marion was perfect, not to mention that they share a son. I love how the relationship between father and son mimics the relationship Indy had with his own father. This was a terrific film...aliens and all.

message 40: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments POSSIBLE SPOILER
Just saw it yesterday. I loved it. I thought it was great fun and kept my interest most of the time. I thought the beginning was a little too slow moving. I liked the son, but I don't know how he will be able to take over Harrison Ford's role in future movies. His relationship with his comb was hilarious. The end was not subtle at all! (the hat) In fact it made me laugh. I agree with you all that Cate Blanchett did a terrific job.

message 41: by Bill (new)

Bill | 6 comments Eh. It was okay. I think the Rotten Tomatoes rating (78%) is just about right. Perhaps a little generous. Indy and Marion looked very long in the tooth. And I'm so tired of CG-laden movies I could scream. Immediately after my wife and I saw this movie, we went home and watched the first one (Raiders of the Lost Ark). No comparison. Two totally different Indian Jones movies. So I think the movie is okay for die-hard Indy fans seeking a bit of nostalgia. But it's not going to be a movie I can watch repeatedly the way I can the first one.

message 42: by Suz (new)

Suz | 5 comments I was really disappointed by this movie - I loved the first 3 films abd was really looking forward to seeing this one but it just didnt do it for me at all. Wont put any spoilers on but the ending completely sent me over the edge - could they not think of something more in line with the other three for the story??? Quite liked the funny bits though - Shia Lebeouf was good as was HF - although he looks his age and you cant help but feel he probably needed to take some serious pain killers and have a massage after some of the stunts!!

message 43: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments My review for the craptacular new INDIANA JONES flick:
INDIANA JONES AND THE DEUS EX MACHINA brings together Spielberg and Lucas The Hutt for a hollow and uninspired action flick that is idiotically written, poorly acted, and above all just downright boring. We need not only suspend our disbelief in our love for Indiana Jones…we must execute it! As a film lover, the only miniscule compliment I’ll give Spielberg is that it is exceptionally filmed; his camerawork and framing is masterful, as usual. Everything else is a bomb. As in atomic bomb…like the one Indy survives in a lead-lined refrigerator. No, I can’t make this crap up. This movie is AMERICAN GRAFFITI meets APOCALYPTO as written by Erich von Däniken. We could forgive some fantastic stunts in the first film (did you truly believe the submarine never submerged in RAIDERS?) because they were at least possible and we cheered for Indy in taking the risks, but each film became more fantastic and hard to swallow. This one gets stuck in your throat. Swinging on vines, monkeys, waterfalls, carnivorous ants, driving in the Amazon jungle (did I mention it’s a freaking jungle?), ET, Mayan and Russian stereotypes, and the temporary suspension of all three physical laws of motion makes this adventure seem more like an arcade game…just reset and start again, no risk! Karen Allen as Marion is relegated to a shrill and annoying love-interest: she and Ford share absolutely no chemistry and their banter brings on a migraine. Ford seems to struggle with his lines and LaBeouf isn’t terrible…he’s just written that way. Cate Blanchett is laughable though she is the only one to deliver her absurd lines with any conviction. The special effects aren’t so special and look unfinished or hurried, especially the Crystal Skull: it actually looks plastic! Writing this makes my skull hurt (no, it’s not plastic) or more precisely my brain…which is what our Dynamic Duo wants us to turn off while they shovel this manure. Maybe future critics will interpret this film as a post-modern masterpiece that abolishes typical narrative conventions in order to create a narcissistically self-parodying mode of internal logic. On second thought, probably not…they’ll just say it sucked. (F)

message 44: by Alison (new)

Alison I thought this movie was silly. From the first few shots, I was ready for it to be over. I do, however, still love Shia, and I think he's going to be a HUGE star.

message 45: by Carol (new)

Carol | 16 comments Bill said "Indy and Marion looked very long in the tooth." HUH? They're nearly thirty years OLDER! And good for Karen Allen for not looking like she is 20 - because she's NOT! Sheesh.

My DH and I saw the film Friday night and we found it very enjoyable.

message 46: by Tressa (last edited Jun 27, 2008 10:49PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Perhaps a little generous. Indy and Marion looked very long in the tooth.

I agree, Carol. I'd rather watch two veteran actors with some wrinkles and character than some of these generic twentysomethings today. I don't know who half of these young actors are and really don't care. Instead of spending so much money on their hair, clothes, and designer purses, they might want to think about buying a personality. Although Shia did a great job in Indiana, I haven't liked him in his previous movies Transformers and Disturbia.

And I'm so tired of CG-laden movies I could scream.

Actually I recently read where the CGI was kept to a minimum in this movie. Most of the stuns were done by Ford and/or stunt doubles.

I really enjoyed it. Saw it Thursday night with my husband. I'll definately be buying it to add to our collection when it comes out on DVD.

I loved the whole Atomic-age, Area 51 theme. The relationship between the the aliens and the Maya culture was great. I loved how the end took place at the Maya temples that I see a lot in the documentaries I watch. Gave it a "real" vibe.

Is there anything Cate Blanchett can't do? She was great. I used to have a haircut like that back in my twenties. I don't think I was as cold and severe as Spalko, though.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel this movie was terrible. does spielberg think we're stupid?! surviving an atomic bomb in a lead-lined refigerator, a sword fight on the back of two jeeps driving through the rainforest, shia lebouf swinging on vines through the jungle and making friends with monkeys, 5 people in a jeep staying pretty much perfectly in their seats as they go over 2 waterfalls...need i go on? and aliens? for real?!?! aliens?!?! and i'm not even going to begin my rant on the flippin' cgi prairie dogs - i mean, seriously, spielberg can't afford real prairie dogs???

on the good side, it was a rather good comedy........granted, not in any of the ways it meant to be funny.

message 48: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracy_falbe) | 21 comments Yeah, I know it was pretty sad. I felt strangely absurd leaving the theater and criticising an Indiana Jones movie for its outrageous lack of realism. I suppose I like my fantasies not to be insultingly stupid. This movie was just pure lazy cashing in.

message 49: by Judy (new)

Judy (judy5cents) | 28 comments This was my birthday movie and I enjoyed it. Not as much as I enjoyed Raiders of The Lost Ark which was my birthday movie back in 1981, but it's been a long time since then.

It was great seeing Karen Allen back as Marion Ravenwood again. And I especially liked how the late Denholm Elliott (Marcus) was remembered, along with Sean Connery, (Connery is not dead, but he is a bit long in the tooth to be making action films)

The Indiana Jones films have always had impossible scenarios. Ever since Temple of Doom, when Indy, the kid and the show girl jumped out of a plane into the moutains, with only an inflatable raft to break the fall, I've grown to expect that the character to face certain death, and somehow walk away, even if it means defying the laws of physics.

It's not my favorite movie of all time, but I liked it a whole lot more than Last King of Scotland. Or The Departed. Or No Country For Old Men.

message 50: by Jessie Pimentel (new)

Jessie Pimentel | 6 comments Ok, although it was not as good as the first three movies, its only fair that Harrison Ford is appreciated for acting again. It jumped around, ended in Peru (whoo Peru!), had aliens but still, i think it could have been a lot worse, so i liked it. :)

« previous 1