Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

BoM (Archived) > (May) Red Headed Step Child*SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
Start your comments here. Talk about the book beginning to end.

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments I just started it. Oh my. I'm going to like this Sabina. She's got a little Anita Blake in her.

Oh Gawd! the demon- I think this is the first book that made me laugh out loud.

Oh sh*t!! now he's naked and I'm crying- if I keep laughing, I don't think I can finish this book.

actually, come to think about it, I have laughed before- anybody remember Bob the cat from the Sookie Stackhouse series?

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Irene - I thought you were going to bring up Jim the demon dog from the Aisling Grey series. I definitely laughed out loud at him.

message 4: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) Jess wrote: "Irene - I thought you were going to bring up Jim the demon dog from the Aisling Grey series. I definitely laughed out loud at him."

Jim was my favorite part of the book. I laughed so hard at him, I was in tears!

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments haven't read that series yet- I'm new the whole PNR urban fantasy genre- I accidently stumbled on it I think in Jan or so- been hooked ever since.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

i was just thinking this where did she come up with the the title red headed step child...???

message 7: by Irene (last edited May 03, 2009 05:56PM) (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments she never knew her parents. she's mixed breed and her grandmother never let her forget. I'm guessing it has something to do with being treated like a red-headed stepchild.

plus she's red-headed but not pure red head- she has black streaks in her hair and everyone can tell by looking she's mixed breed.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

i just thought it was weird that the title is red headed step child when there is no step parents lol...

message 9: by Irene (last edited May 03, 2009 07:03PM) (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments oh yeah I forgot- she actually explains it fairly early in the book-

All vampires have red hair—ranging from the young strawberry blondes to the ancient mahogany reds.
The darker the shade, the older the vamp. My own hair, since I was half vampire and half mage, was a
streaky combination of bright red and black. We owed this telltale sign to Cain, whom God had marked
with a shock of red hair after the infamous murder of Abel. After he was cast out, he met up with Lilith,
who’d left Eden after she grew bored with Adam. Cain’s affair with Lilith resulted in the creation of the
vampire race. We got our blood thirst and immortality from Lilith, and our inability to go into the sun and
our red hair from Cain.

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments so I I think with Lilith thing that makes all vampires red-headed step children to Adam and Eve.
or something like that...
Humans called Adamites in the book rule the world- and then there are the sub cultures of vampires, demons, fairies etc...

message 11: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
I thought I got this book but I guess I didnt! Grrr, I will have to get it here in a couple days and will catch up to you guys in the chats! :D

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments ah the plot thickens as the cat goes bald

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments I can see that Sabina is going to have a change of heart regarding her allegiances but I'm still not liking Clovis.

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments "He blew out a breath, making the towel sag a little. I held my own breath hoping to get a glimpse of the
Promised Land. "

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

i love that demon cat.... he made me laugh so hard...

message 16: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I just got to the part where the demon cat lost his fur. I was laughing so hard that I was crying. It was so funny...

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments The book was fantastic- Y'all better get reading.

message 18: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments yeah the demon cat was better than Bob the cat in the Sookie Stackhouse novels- and I loved him.

message 19: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 15 comments I teared up at the end though.

message 20: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) Jessi wrote: "I just got to the part where the demon cat lost his fur. I was laughing so hard that I was crying. It was so funny..."

Me too! The idea of a hairless demon cat is just hilarious.

Irene wrote: "I teared up at the end though."

I also got a little misty eyed at the funeral. Not necessarily because of the death but because of Sabina's reaction to the death. She had finally opened up to friends & the hurt/blessings that can come with them.

I can't wait for book 2. I am very curious about the prophecy.