Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's April Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Apr 30, 2009 09:22PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8258 comments The beauty of Goodreads is that if I finish anything tomorrow I can always come back and add it, so here goes..

The Breakthrough Politics and Race in the Age of Obama by Gwen Ifill – fascinating look at the recent presidential election in the context of the next generation of African American politicians, post-Civil Rights Era.

The World According to Bertie by Alexander McCall Smith. My favorite series of Smith’s about 6-year old prodigy Bertie and the other residents of 44 Scotland Street and their friends. Funny and poignant.

Knots And Crosses by Ian Rankin. The first in the John Rebus series started off slow but had me engrossed toward the end. I’m looking forward to spending lots of time with Inspector Rebus in the foreseeable future.

Night and Day by Robert B. Parker. I can’t believe this is the eighth in the Jesse Stone series. You can depend on a solid, fastmoving plot, witticisms from everyone, Jesse pining over Jennifer (still) and drinking (still). There were several fascinating storylines, and each time I put the book down I couldn’t wait to get back to it.

======
finished before midnight of April 30, in between baskets of the stupendous triple-OT Celtics-Bulls game..

The Last Cactus by Dan Schraeger. Quite a good effort from our Daniel, this one had a little bit of everything that makes a crime spree in a small town good. The last few chapters were page-turnerish.

Hide and Seek by Ian Rankin. A young squatter overdoses, and Rebus is determined to find out why. A complex tale, and this series is getting better and better.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Carol:
I liked Night and Day this month too!
It is fun that we can edit later; I think we decided it doesn't pop up as "new" after editing. I'll have to get back to my Ian Rankin audio Set in Darkness An Inspector Rebus Novel after I finish Long Lost which was not renewable. I look forward to more Rebus books too.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "The beauty of Goodreads is that if I finish anything tomorrow I can always come back and add it, so here goes..

Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama by Gwen Ifill – fascinating look..."

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments I had the feeling that Night and Day finally moved the characters ahead in life. It helped that Jesse got a bit of dialog too.
Barry

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8258 comments I added to my original post a couple of books I finished by midnight. I think Ann said that editing a post does NOT cause it to come up new again, would someone who read my post the first time around confirm?

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Carol:
It doesn't show up in red, but the header does show the edit date and time in parentheses the same way it would have said (new):
message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited 04/30/2009 09:22PM) 23 hours, 10 min ago
I need to finish Dan's book too. I am savoring it!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I added to my original post a couple of books I finished by midnight. I think Ann said that editing a post does NOT cause it to come up new again, would someone who read my post the first time aro..."

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8258 comments <<I need to finish Dan's book too. I am savoring it!
>>>

I was too, Ann, then I wanted to see what happened to all the plotlines so I made myself keep going until toward the end the story just carried me away.